Buckland Hall Residential Retreat – Powys, Wales

buckland hall event

This 5-day Buckland Hall Retreat, which has been developed by Professor George Jelinek, will be facilitated by Dr Jonathan WhitePhil StartinVeronique Gaulthier-Simmons and the OMS team. It is based upon the book Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis, the evidence-based 7-step recovery program by Professor Jelinek. The program is based on optimism, human experience, practicality and credible science.

Although participants gain valuable insight and information from throughout the event, most sessions entail direct participation and experience. We encourage discussion, and there is plenty of room for any questions and answers you may have. Participants will meet a group of wonderful and exceptional people, and gain a lot from the extraordinary power and potential of the group.

The Retreat aims to:

• Maximize well-being and healing
  • Create a sustainable program for each participant to use in their day-to-day lives
  • Increase awareness of the range of options open to them; including medical treatments, complementary medicine and self-help techniques
  • Encourage confidence in participants that they have made the choices that will best suit their individual needs
  • Explain self-help and self-healing techniques, using a theoretical framework and experiential exercises
  • Address any fears and misunderstandings of MS, aiming to clarify any confusion and transform it into a positive outcome
  • Assist participants to examine the meaning and purpose of their lives
  • Use the group process to facilitate communication and to generate a mutually supportive network

Participants can expect to leave feeling inspired, informed and capable of taking more control of their lives. This experience will give them the tools for better health and wellbeing.

The five-day Buckland Hall Retreat also provides an opportunity for participants to immerse themselves in the program’s gentle blend of relaxation, meditation, learning and sharing. Jonathan and his colleagues will answer questions, build confidence and help set a clear direction forward.

Attending the Retreat with Support

Attending the retreat with a partner, support person or caregiver (where applicable) is recommended if possible. By sharing in the program, the support person can better understand and support the participant in implementing and integrating what has been learnt. It is also a great opportunity for them to take some time out and be refreshed.

The Venue

The Buckland Hall in Wales, an ‘idyllic country mansion’, is a beautiful venue for our residential retreats and offers a wonderful setting. It is a haven of peace and tranquility in the heart of the gorgeous Brecon Beacons National Park, with lovely views of the Usk Valley. Buckland Hall is easily accessible from Cardiff (41 miles), and is only 25 minutes’ drive from Abergavenny train station which has taxis outside. You can find more information on the Buckland Hall website.

Cost and other important information

• The full cost for the retreat is £965 per individual, or £1,700 per couple or individual with carer/support person
  • These costs include all accommodation, meals and the delivery of the program itself. Travel costs are not included
  • You are only being asked to make a commitment now by paying a deposit of £150.00 which will secure your place
  • Deposits are non-refundable unless we find someone to take your place
  • Payments are accepted on a strictly first come, first served basis to be fair to everyone
  • The balance outstanding will need to be paid in full by: Monday 3rd September
  • Once you have paid the deposit, our events team will be in touch with you to start making some arrangements with you. You can contact us on [email protected] for all enquiries
  • If finances are tight, but you would like to attend the event, please email us at [email protected] explaining your circumstances

Things to note carefully

• The Buckland Hall Retreat runs from 11 am Monday 29th October 2018 – Friday 2nd November at 2 pm
  • We have a lot of information to share with you and the days and evenings can be long. We will do our best to take good care of you, but if you have concerns about your energy levels please talk to us by emailing [email protected]
  • OMS is a registered charity No. 1157579 and our events are not profit-focused. We only wish to cover the costs that we incur
  • Residential retreat places are in demand. If your circumstances change and you cannot attend please let us know as soon as possible. We will endeavor to offer your place to the next person on the waiting list and then release your deposit back to you

Presenters

Our presenters for this event are:

Johnny White AMEX 2017 -300x300

Dr Jonathan White 

Jonathan is a Obstetrician and Gynaecologist living in Belfast with his wife and young son. He was diagnosed with MS in 2015 and began following the OMS Recovery Program almost immediately. Jonathan loves running and other outdoor activity and is a regular fundraiser for OMS. Read his full biography here.

veronique gauthier simmons

Véronique Gauthier-Simmons

Véronique started yoga in 2000, at the age of 34, when she was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS. Over the years, she studied different types of yoga with different teachers and qualified in Hatha Yoga and Yoga Therapy. Together with her husband, she created Taming the Walrus, which is dedicated to encouraging people with MS to practice yoga. Read her full biography here.

Phil Startin OMS Event Facilitator

Phil Startin

Phil is a mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) practitioner who has MS himself and is an OMS Event Facilitator. He found Overcoming MS in 2011, and coupled with his earlier discovery of mindfulness meditation, awakened a whole new area in his life. Read his full biography here.

Some comments from previous retreat attendees

“This was a transformative event. Although I have been following the program as best I could on my own for two years, seeing everybody else being so committed to it has given me new resolve.”

“My life-long partner who has MS inspired me with her determination to fight on, and meeting many others like her was overwhelming and absolutely inspiring.”

“A wonderful week that pieced together all the missing parts of the jigsaw that I was struggling to complete: consolidated knowledge; a support network of positive people; practical tips and expert opinions.”

“These five days were essential to re-analyse and reinforce my life. I leave balanced inside, inspired and feeling that I am not alone and that all resources/help I could ever want are just an arm’s length away at any time.”

October 29, 2018
-
November 2, 2018

1. Buckland Hall
  2. Bwlch
  3. Brecon Beacons
  4. Powys
  5. LD3 7JJ

Ticket Prices

• Deposit

To book a place on this retreat, you will need to pay a deposit of £150.00. The remainder of the cost will be due eight weeks before the event.

Sorry, there are no tickets of this type available.