Organizing an OMS fundraiser is a great way to have fun with friends and raise the profile of Overcoming MS as well as raising funds to ensure we can share the OMS program with more people.
If you are part of an OMS Circle, running a fundraiser together could be a great way to bond or perhaps your workplace or a relative's school are looking for a charity to fundraise for?
Already have a great idea for a fundraiser? Great – simply get in touch and we’ll send you our OMS fundraising pack, filled with a few extra hints and tips so that you can raise a smile and lots of money for Overcoming MS.
Need a little more inspiration? Read our A-Z of fundraising ideas…
Amazon Smile - each time you shop using Amazon Smile, a percentage of your purchase can come to Overcoming MS
- Art exhibition - if you're an amateur (or a professional) painter you could create a gallery and sell your paintings.
- Auction - blag some prizes and organize an auction to maximize your
- Baking - take OMS-friendly treats to work or school in return for donations. Check out our recipe section for some ideas.
- Bingo night
- Book swap - host a book swap or charge for second hand books
- Birthday - create a page on Facebook and ask friends to donate on your birthday
- Christmas cards - make and sell your own Christmas cards
- Crafternoon - are you good with arts and crafts? A keen knitter? Could you sell some of your creations? Seasonal items (Christmas for example) are always a hit.
- Challenge yourself - May in OMS Challenge Yourself month. Set yourself a challenge - this could be anything from racking up 10,000 steps a day for a month, or pledging having a ‘Social Media Blackout'.
- Coffee morning - get friends round for a chat and a coffee for a great cause
- Clothes swap - an eco friendly way of getting a whole new wardrobe! Get friends to bring along any old clothes and swap for other clothes. You can either charge per item taken home or
- Climb a mountain
- Dancing - host a Strictly Come Dancing evening and see who has the best moves.
- Easter - host an Easter-themed event, with egg decorating and hunting, a spring theme and bonnet making
- Entertain your friends - host a dinner party, tea party or even a wine-tasting evening.
- Eurovision party
- Facepainting - buy a set of facepaints and charge a small fee to paint faces - this works well at Halloween.
- Fantasy Football League - sport fans - get friends to pay to join your league and donate the proceeds.
- Fashion show - get friends and family to strut their stuff and strike a pose for charity.
- Fishing - challenge fellow fishing fans to hook the biggest catch.
- Golf - organise a golf day, or perhaps a longest drive competition.
- Games night - play board games
- Hiking - take a hike in the great outdoors, whether you hike 1 km or 10 km, every bit you raise can make a big difference.
- Haircut - get sponsored to shave your head or dye your hair
- Indoor cyclathon - all you need is an exercise bike and people willing to sponsor you… then just get pedalling.
- Jumble Sale - have a clear out at home and raise money for OMS.
- Jail break - start at a central meeting point, the 'jail', and whichever team manages to get the furthest away in a set amount of time without using public transport will be crowned the winners!
- Karaoke - get your friends together to raise a note and some funds.
- Luncheon – throw an OMS-friendly lunch at home, work or even a picnic in the park.
- Meditation challenge - set yourself a meditation challenge, such as 30 minutes for 30 days.
- Movie Night - host an evening of blockbusters or family favourites, complete with OMS Friendly nibbles.
- Music - put on a concert and charge people to watch, ask local bands or musicians to volunteer their time
- Marathon in many bites challenge - walk run, cycle or swim for 26 miles as a group in one day, or as an individual over a month)
- Non-uniform day - have a dress down day at work or school and get everyone to give a small contribution.
- Nails - run your own nail salon for the day, everyone like to be pampered.
- Occasions - weddings, birthdays or anniversaries. Ask for donations instead of gifts and you’ll be giving the gift of hope to people with MS.
- Open Garden Day - show off your green fingers and open your beautiful garden for others to view.
- Oscars party - hold an Oscar's themed party
- Parachute jump - overcome your fear of heights and take a leap for charity.
- Photography challenge - ask friends to pay a small fee to participate in a photography challenge. First one to snap all the items on the list wins.
- Poker night
- Picnic - take part in the OMS Big Picnic in July
- Quiz Night - host your own or get your local bar to host one in aid of OMS.
- Running - set yourself a running challenge and ask people to sponsor you. We have several available or you could set yourself a target distance over a month
- Raffle -
- Swimathon- set yourself and friends a target distance, either outdoors or indoors, and get sponsored
- Social media blackout - one for the smartphone junkies - get people to sponsor you to stay off social media for a month or even longer if you can.
- Shoot hoops - basketball and netball fans - ask people to sponsor you to shoot 100 hoops in 100 minutes.
- Speaker - do you know anyone who might be willing to speak at an event and you can charge for tickets?
- Soccer tournament - 5 a side
- Trekking - get out in nature and complete a trek or hike.
- Tea party - Alice and Wonderland themed Mad Hatter's Tea Party!
- Unwanted gifts - sell your unwanted items and donate the money to OMS to relieve any guitl!
- Vintage - swinging 60’s or throwback to the 90’s? Have a themed part from a vintage era, get people to dress up and play songs from the decade you choose.
- Walking - get sponsored for every mile or kilometer you walk. Use a FitBit or your phone to track your progress.
- X marks the spot - organize a treasure hunt and ask for donations in return for teams to join the fun.
- X - Factor - get a group of colleagues, friends or family to take part in a singing competition.
- Yard sale - get together with your neighbours and sell your unwanted posessions
- Yogathon - collect donations in return for an awesome yoga class. Sarah in Toulouse organized a relaxing candlelit pilates fundraiser.
- Zen - have a meditation session with family and friends, ask for a donation to attend.
Think about how you will raise money - will it be:
- A raffle or Tombola
- Ticket sales for entry
- Collecting donations on the day
If you need some advice on setting up your own fundraiser, our fundraising team would be happy to help - please get in touch.