Find realistic hope and a full life
Find realistic hope and a full life
Overcoming MS is the world’s leading multiple sclerosis healthy lifestyle charity.
Over 2.8 million people worldwide live with multiple sclerosis, with many experiencing progressive disability over time. Although there is currently no cure for MS, we believe that people with MS can lead positive and fulfilling lives. This belief is based on substantial scientific evidence of the benefits of holistic self care, alongside medical therapies when appropriate.
At the heart of Overcoming MS is a self-management program for people with MS, devised to support their physical and mental health, based on clear, practical actions.
Our vision is that people with MS feel empowered to take control of their health, are making informed lifestyle choices and living a full and healthy life.
Our strategic goals to achieve our vision are to:
Our values shape how we work to create positive outcomes for, and with, people affected by MS. We are:
Who we are and what we do
We are unique in our whole-person approach and practical evidence-based focus upon self-management of MS, formulated as a holistic program. We are registered to work in the UK (England, Wales Scotland), the US and Australia.
The Overcoming MS program addresses those lifestyle factors that are shown to influence MS progression the most, such as diet, sedentary living, stress and a lack of vitamin D. We provide extensive tailored information and support for people living with multiple sclerosis to help them make practical changes in their day-to-day lives.
The Overcoming MS program is a product of pioneering work by Professor George Jelinek and the Neuroepidemiology Unit (NEU) of the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne, Australia. Its evidence is broad-based and incorporates over 1,000 research studies from some of the world’s leading medical journals.
“The work of Dr. Jelinek and the principles of Overcoming MS gave me a sense of hope and more importantly, a sense of control...Overcoming MS showed me how living a quality life with MS could be a reality for me. And I especially appreciate how evidence-based and data-driven the Overcoming MS lifestyle is.” Nicole, USA
The Overcoming MS charity was established by Linda Bloom in 2012, whose life was transformed by the approach. She wanted to distribute the Overcoming MS program and its powerful message of realistic hope across the globe empowering ever more people to live well with MS. Today, our reach has exceeded 20,000 people affected by MS worldwide. Our team is small and punches above its weight, supported by a passionate and growing group of volunteers.
The Overcoming MS Program
The program promotes a comprehensive and holistic approach to multiple sclerosis management. It focuses on 7 areas:
- Eating well – a plant-based, whole-food diet, very low on saturated fat, no dairy, with seafood and Omega-3 supplements
- Getting enough Sun and Vitamin D – managed daily sun exposure and Vitamin D supplementation as a preventative measure
- Regular exercise –combining cardio and progressive strength/resistance training
- Meditation and mind-body connection – management of daily stress and development of a healthy, positive and empowered attitude towards controlling one’s health
- Taking medication as needed – medication as an important part of MS care, enabling people with MS to make personal decisions about medication use
- Prevention of MS in family members – focus on smoking cessation, Vitamin D and sun exposure for family members and dietary recommendations for children and siblings of people with MS
- Changing life for life – long-term behaviour change, with guidance and motivation.