7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

First of all this forum is amazing! Whenever I need a motivation boost this is the place I turn to.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago due to 2 attacks 6 months apart; the first was diplopia and the second was numbness and tingling sensation in my lower body.

My father had a very aggressive form of ms and he passed away within 5 years of being diagnosed. He tried so many drugs and the side effects were terrible. So when I was diagnosed I wanted to try a different route, and by pure chance my wife came across oms.

The program has been a blessing and I have followed it strictly since my diagnosis. I have had amazing results; not a single relapse in 3 years (my father was already bed ridden by his 3 year mark) and I am exercise a lot, I now compete in Brazilian jui jitsu which is something I gave up when I was diagnosed.

I have no doubt that OMS can help me beat my ms as I have attended an oms retreat and met so many inspirational people. Over the past 3 years my ms symptoms have decreased to such an extent that I may feel some tingling in my legs occasionally when I don't sleep well or accidentally eat something with a bad oil. So my ms is far from my mind as I often forget that I have it. It really is empowering to know that I can beat it! My father would be proud!

Unfortunately, I had an ms attack 2 weeks ago. I woke up one morning with only 40% vision in my right eye (this was the same eye that had diplopia in my first attack). I immediately contacted my ms nurse and went to the hospital for a 3 day course of steroids.

The steroids worked really well and my vision returned but now the vision in my right eye is a bit blurred, not too bad though. I can still function without anyone knowing.

The last 6 months have been very stressful as I was recently promoted to assistant head teacher ( I work at a school for youth offenders, so I often have to restrain and take a lot of verbal abuse from adolescents). And my wife is 5 months pregnant which is a blessing but it does put additional pressure on me to provide for her and the new arrival. To add to it, I started an online business 18 months ago which is flourishing but means I have to work on most weekends and late at night.

So the last 6 months have been pretty stressful and my diet has suffered as well, although I didn't cheat, the majority of my food was store bought (oms friendly) but could not be considered whole foods. Also, I have not been taking my omega 3 (flaxseed oil) regularly for the past 2 months.

Also, I must confess, I never meditate. I have always tried but never got the hang of it and it felt like a chore. But this week I signed up for transcendental meditation and attended my first class this morning and I feel that it will become a regular, daily practise.

When I had my attack my wife said she expected it as I had been stretching myself too thin. She made a good point; the attack occurred for reasons we know of, if it had occurred in a time when I was super relaxed and following the diet strictly then we would be really worried because it would mean that the ms is advancing and the oms lifestyle was not working for me.

This attack has left me feeling quite vulnerable as I loved bragging about my 3 years of no attacks.

So I could really use some advice from this group as my ms nurse is already nagging me to consider drugs and an MRI scan. Just have 4 questions:

1. I know I should relax more and calm down, but unfortunately I am trying to get my wife and I out of a great deal of debt and if I push hard over the next 8 months, we will be debt free and my online business would have reached a point where I could be a stay at home dad. That's always been my dream! To add to it my wife gives birth in 4 months and I worry that a new born will increase my workload and stress levels. So how can I juggle life with the fear of another relapse? That only increase my stress. How do you cope with life and not get stressed?

2. I had diplopia in my first attack 3.5 years ago but it cleared up almost immediately after a 3 day steroid course. It's been almost 2 weeks since I had my steroid course and my vision in my right eye is still a blur and causing some problems t work. How long can I expect to have it (I am following oms religiously again)?

3. I was hoping that my ms was regressing, but this attack is very similar to my first attack 3.5 years ago. So does that mean that the lesion is still there and active? I assumed it had healed as my eye hadn't flared up for years. How long. An it take to heal from an attack?

4. My original attack years ago was just diplopia in my right eye and this attack was loss of and blurred vision in my right eye. So does this mean that it is possible that a new lesion has formed? I am too nervous to go for a MRI scan I fear that there are new lesions (I know that lesions are not an accurate form of measuring ms but it would be great to have scientific proof that the ms is healing).

My apologies for the long post but there is no one I can really talk to about this as my wife is pregnant and needs to focus on herself and my ms nurse doesn't believe in OMS.

Once again, thank you to everyone in this group! Your posts and and success stories are what keeps me so positive!

Thank you to everyone!!!!!
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this at the moment.
From reading your post it sounds like you actually know a lot of the answers yourself already, but for what it's worth I will share my thoughts with you and hope that some of it may be useful.
I really believe that stress and the way we live our lives has a huge impact on our health. So all those things that you listed - working hard to get free of debt (and just being in debt in the first place) - expecting a baby - promotion at work into a more demanding position etc etc - are all going to impact. Even if you DID manage to stick 100% to OMS with its whole food focus and meditation, then that amount of stress would still impact your health. But as you said, the busyness of your life has meant that you have not been eating as well as you could, even though you don't 'cheat'. There is a difference between a plant-based whole food diet, and just being OMS compliant. It is also all the goodness that you put into your body that makes you well.

Your history with MS though, and the fact that you have gone 3 years without a relapse should give you lots of confidence that you can get back there again, and build on it. But you might have to make some hard choices around work if you want to get the maximum benefit from the lifestyle changes you have made. Which is tough, and easier for me to say when my family is not relying solely on my income to survive. But short term reduction in income - if it means that your future health is more certain - is worth it in my opinion.

I'm afraid I don't know whether that may be a new lesion or an old lesion. Personally whenever I had a relapse it was always new symptoms in a different part of my body, or at least affecting it in a different way. I never had an identical symptom return.

I think meditation is going to be very valuable to you. It's great that you have found somewhere to go for that.

Karen
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
One other thought…have you had your vitamin D level checked recently? When you are very busy it is easy to let that slip, and it's surprising how quickly your level can drop.

Karen
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
I agree with everything Karen has said.

My first thoughts are to focus on flaxseed oil and vitamin D straight away as that's the easy bit and will straight away put you in the 'back in control' mindset. That will build on the good work the steroids have started.

Paul, you already know what to do to smarten up your diet. Get that back under control, and get in the habit of being mindful - take a few deep slow breaths before you start a new task (starting the car engine, eating a meal, getting out of bed, even brushing your teeth! Those little mindful moments throughout the day take very little time and are wonderful for getting perspective, and will help you deal with the stressful times and decide what is really important.
Paul,

Whilst echoing the comments of Karen and Wendy, I would also suggest that you take some steps toward 'super nutrition' for a while to help you recover from the recent setback.

By this I mean doing a Terry Wahls' style 9 cups of fruit and veg a day, with the emphasis being on veg. If eating that much is difficult you could try juicing if that is possible.

When we eat processed or store bought food, even if it is OMS friendly, we deprive ourselves of micro nutrients that are likely to be essential to our recovery and ongoing health. It compounds the situation of stress that has caused your recent relapse, making you so much more vulnerable.

Get stuck into those salads, man! I hope you have an excellent kitchen knife. Chop, chop, chop and crunch, crunch, crunch. :D
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hi Paul,
The first thought I had when I read your post was " Man that is a shit load of stress!!! "
I am a woman and I feel so much for Men because you guys take on so much.
I wonder If you can seek advice from a financial advisor?
Can you afford to take on a business partner to help lighten the load ?. It may mean that becoming "debt-free" will take longer, but it could really help to reduce the stress and free up some time, what with a new born baby and wife to help to recover after child birth.
Just reading your post gives me the feeling that you would be worrying a lot about financial security, and we know that worry can lead to anxiety and depression which is a major threat to our stability with this condition.
All the very best Paul, you have so much joy that lies ahead.
Love and light
Rose x
Such awesome replies!!!

Thank you to everyone for their replies. it really has made my day.

Rose wrote: Hi Paul,
The first thought I had when I read your post was " Man that is a shit load of stress!!! "
I am a woman and I feel so much for Men because you guys take on so much.
I wonder If you can seek advice from a financial advisor?
Can you afford to take on a business partner to help lighten the load ?. It may mean that becoming "debt-free" will take longer, but it could really help to reduce the stress and free up some time, what with a new born baby and wife to help to recover after child birth.
Just reading your post gives me the feeling that you would be worrying a lot about financial security, and we know that worry can lead to anxiety and depression which is a major threat to our stability with this condition.
All the very best Paul, you have so much joy that lies ahead.
Love and light
Rose x

Rose, your comment really struck a chord with me, I often try to mask my stress as I don't want my wife to worry. Thank you for acknowledging my workload!! That really means a lot to me.

Susan Doumbos wrote: Paul,

Whilst echoing the comments of Karen and Wendy, I would also suggest that you take some steps toward 'super nutrition' for a while to help you recover from the recent setback.

By this I mean doing a Terry Wahls' style 9 cups of fruit and veg a day, with the emphasis being on veg. If eating that much is difficult you could try juicing if that is possible.

When we eat processed or store bought food, even if it is OMS friendly, we deprive ourselves of micro nutrients that are likely to be essential to our recovery and ongoing health. It compounds the situation of stress that has caused your recent relapse, making you so much more vulnerable.

Get stuck into those salads, man! I hope you have an excellent kitchen knife. Chop, chop, chop and crunch, crunch, crunch. :D

Haha, vegetables scare me! I refused to eat vegetables prior to OMS as I am not a big fan. My wife is an amazing cook and has an ability to cook purely vegan food and mask the taste of the vegetables. And now that she is at home most of the time preparing for the new arrival she cooks for me all the time (I am really spoilt!), so my diet is improving drastically. Also, I now have a large green smoothie every morning for breakfast.

Karen Law wrote: One other thought…have you had your vitamin D level checked recently? When you are very busy it is easy to let that slip, and it's surprising how quickly your level can drop.

Karen

That's a great point Karen. I will get them check as soon as possible, I may have become a bit complacent, so I need to check them.

Overall, I think my promotion is the biggest cause of my stress. School started again this week as the summer holidays came to a close and on the second day back I had to put out a small fire in the students' recreation room and had to restrain a 14 year old as he had spat on me and tried to attack me. That is pretty much what an average day is like in my school. I am going to give it 2 months and if the meditation has not kicked in and I am more relaxed then I will be stepping down from my job. In the end, it's just not worth it. I have been working at this school for over 5 years now and every morning I wake up with a feeling of dread knowing what I will be going through that day.

Thank you to everyone for their comments, I will do my best to relax and kick back. I only hope my eyesight returns to its former glory soon as the blurred vision is as annoying as hell.

Thanks
Paul
7 posts Page 1 of 1