6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello

For as long as I can remember I have felt light headed after an occasional hot bath. They were never particularly hot, just hot enough to be pleasant.

About 10 years ago (I was 18 then) I fainted completely following a bath. I fainted a couple more times and then I pretty much gave up baths. I discussed it with doctors and even had a CT (unfortunately not an MRI) but nothing was mentioned regarding MS. Doctors brushed it off.

Since being diagnosed with MS in the last month, I've done plenty of research. I was FASCINATED to learn that the test for MS in 'the old days' was the hot bath test. If you had neurological symptoms after a hot bath, then you had MS!!! Astonishing :o

I can't help but feel that if I had been given the warning that it may be a symptom of MS, that my condition wouldn't have advanced to the stage I am now at. Perhaps hot baths were doing permanent neurological harm?

I feel this is an under researched part of the MS puzzle. Has anyone else had this experience?

James

PS. Rest assured I still wash daily, but in my shower.
Hey James

My understanding of it is that the heat generated by the bath or when exercising exacerabates the symptoms in that instant but does not cause any long term difference or problems. Hence, in the new book, the doc mentions swimming as a great exercise as it keeps your core temp down whilst also allowing you to get some sun (if your lucky and live in sunny climes that is).

Still, the more I read, the more apparent it seems the medicine has gone backwards in some respects. There is no more real patient care, just a conveyor belt of text book diagnosis and drug allocation - it makes me angry just typing that but it's certainly the case.

Hope your feeling better buddy.

Marcus
It's been years since I last took a bath! but interesting post might try testing the theory.
Hi,
Have to agree on the hot bath theory. A few years back having suffered with joint problems for years I bought a heated spa on recommendation from a physiotherapist. Fine at no more than 30 degrees C. Problem my husband likes it hot 36C. I can't use it makes me physically sick and weak and that's at around body temperature. Can't even have a hot shower in winter to warm up. Strange because I feel the cold really badly. Summer heat really knocks me too. Maybe some of us are more susceptible to temperature differences than others. It's either MS or old age as I used not to be bothered much either way.
Cheers,
Vicki
James,

I agree. Your doctor should have immediately thought MS. That said, we're all experts now. Even when I was bothering my GP daily, complaining of creaping numbness up to my neck, she coudln't tell me what it was, but did manage to say that she was sure it was not MS.

Contrary to their image, doctors hate to give bad news. This can get silly when you have something wrong and they get excited when a test comes back negative. You still have whatever is bothering you, but they're happy it wasn't x.

It's hard to think about it too much. I had what is now obviously ON, but my eye doctor missed it, even shunting me out of his office. Perhaps he had a suspicion, but didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

That said, your doctor did order tests and didn't tell you it was all in your mind, so that's a lot. It does seem that they have lost "The Old Knowlege".
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks guys.

Pipo - don't test the theory, I think it is a real risk (not least because you may faint and hit your head) :o

Vicki - I'm glad you agree, having experienced it yourself - it's not just me then!

Marcus - thanks mate. Couldn't agree more. Medical system is deeply flawed and proves that only proactive patients have real hope of protecting and advancing their health. And swimming sounds like an excellent form of exercise for MS.

I am convinced there is a correlation in my experience with hot baths and my later diagnoses of MS. While it may not have made the condition worse, I'm convinced it was the 'canary in the coalmine' all those years ago.

James
6 posts Page 1 of 1