14 posts Page 1 of 2
Great recent article in The Times about how the ever powerful Sugar industry went after the fat industry (and won):

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/ ... -news&_r=0

What's important about this history (and battle between the two titans of the food industry) is that it set the attitudes, mindset, and even research dollars for not only how we perceived health, diet, and foods in the past but even today.

You have to wonder, had this situation not occurred, would we today have an entirely different perception on how we perceive health as related to the foods that we eat (sugars/high carbs vs. fats)? After all, so much science was funded and kickstarted as a result of this situation ...
Absolutely.

To put is extremely simple, natural fats (specially saturated fat from animal sources) are our friends, they help us function properly.

Sugars are our enemies, they prevents us from being healthy.

Now think about what the vast majority of people believe instead. They are sure that, for instance, eating lots of fruits is a good thing and eating cheese if a very bad thing. It´s amazing how lie turned into universal truth so easily.
This thread seems to go against all the OMS research. Are you suggesting increasing saturated fat and decreasing vegetables? :shock: :shock: :shock:
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
This thread goes under the heading of people love hearing good things about bad habits.
Globally this planet the vast majority eat neither and don't carry the western diet sickness burden.
Where does that leave us then?

I've been wondering about this lately. Sugar is bad. Saturated fat is bad... for us. So much in the media about sugar atm. So confusing!
Diagnosed August 2015
OMS November 2015
OMS Retreat May 2016
Moderation in all things!

Refined sugar has been something that I used to enjoy with abandon, but I now use unrefined honey, and in much smaller amounts, I also use dates as a sweetener especially in baked goods.

Saturated fats are a mainstay of the Western diet, but are generally reduced in the Mediterranean diet, and among individual diets, most researchers acknowledge that the Mediterranean diet is generally the healthiest among them.

Part of the "story of saturated fat" is great for folks in Northern climates, to lay down a layer of blubber, to help keep folks warm in the colder weather, OK so it shortened life by 15 or 20 years, but at least you didn't shiver all winter.

I wouldn't recommend large amounts of either as part of well chosen diet, given all the information available, and IMO the OMS diet is very well chosen. Therefore stick to the diet, work the plan, program the program, and don't take more than a step off the path looking for a better path, the further you travel away from the path, the harder it is to see the path you were on.

JM2C!
Be well, live long and prosper!
I have to disagree about saturated fats (hoping by Saturated fat you don´t mean trans fat, which are very different things).

I was an OMSER for a year approx but very honestly I never felt comfortable with the protocol since it includes things that simply go against the design of our body, like the crazy high Vitamin D3 amounts.

During my last month following OMS I had a big relapse, and I know it was too early to expect no more relapses but it wasn´t only that, my physical condition in general got worse albeit other health problems I used to suffer got worse too (kidney stones for instance).

Sometime I thought I was feeling better but now that I´m not afraid of admitting what I have I realise I wasn´t, it was all a placebo effect.
Right before stopping OMS I met someone. This person talked to me about another way of looking at medical conditions, specially the so called autoimmune ones. I really could not believe the theory but then started digging and met few people whom, like us, suffered MS or other autoimmune conditions (note that I´m talking in past form) but apparently managed to reverse them.

You know, my profession is IT consultancy, I have little idea about biochemistry and medicine. I needed, and need to know more, so I enrolled into University again and started nutrition and biochemistry.

I´m not willing to talk about it yet since I have been practicing it barely for 7 months so it is way too early to try to set conclusions. I don´t want any of you to think there is a true solution for our problem.

So far, OMS is simply the best solution to MS. No one can deny that.

What I can tell you, however, is that throughout this period I have been eating animal saturated fat, high amounts of cholesterol, drinking plenty of fresh milk from grass fed cows, eating lots of organic veggies, very little sugar (so very little fruits) and no fish at all.

This is, of course, not the only thing I´m doing, but it is putting things into perspective. Here we think that eating a gram of animal fat or milk could actually trigger a relapse, I´m sorry to say but to me, this makes no sense anymore.

Time will tell whether I´m right or wrong, but what I´m doing does not limit to literature or what other people say, my body is actually waking up.
The best way to make changes from a starting position is to make your own research which looks like you are fully embedded into and exploring.
What I am always wary of is articles getting into newspapers as they are generally there just to promote a continuation of typical food consumption. We have a global economy relying on processed food products, animal production and the pharmaceutics to support their consumption. The Times butter is good for you is a classic article of what people wanted to read but looking under the hood comparing with very bad is anyways going to make bad look good.
I can no longer bring myself to consume animal products but I do like fresh cracked nuts which are freshly available now.
veg wrote: The best way to make changes from a starting position is to make your own research which looks like you are fully embedded into and exploring.
What I am always wary of is articles getting into newspapers as they are generally there just to promote a continuation of typical food consumption. We have a global economy relying on processed food products, animal production and the pharmaceutics to support their consumption. The Times butter is good for you is a classic article of what people wanted to read but looking under the hood comparing with very bad is anyways going to make bad look good.
I can no longer bring myself to consume animal products but I do like fresh cracked nuts which are freshly available now.

Could not agree more.

It´s extremely difficult nowadays to be able to identify big lies from true facts. 99% of information out there is either biased or false on purpose.
This is one of things I´m learning now, what to trust and what not to trust.
I don't know if you've read the latest edition of Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis and checked the references, but this is an evidence based approach. Are you saying that the studies linking saturated fat, meat and milk to problems with MS are all wrong? You've also cut out fish, which is shown to be beneficial (although we obviously need to be mindful of mercury).

What you are proposing looks like a ketogenic diet which in my mind is a fad with very little evidence and people ending up following Dave Asprey and drinking bulletproof coffee for breakfast.

I'm not entirely sure why you are on the OMS forums. If you think some of the articles referenced in the OMS book are wrong, please tell us which ones.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
14 posts Page 1 of 2