11 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello,

My 17yo daughter was recently diagnosed with MS and we are all still grieving and a bit traumatized. She has been on an interferon which does not seem to be working well and so we are looking at copaxone and tecfidera. I have read the updated OMS book and much of what it suggests makes sense to me. I have been passing along bits and pieces of it to my daughter as I think she can handle. She is under a great deal of stress right now. She is already dairy free, eats lots of fruits and veg, and we supplemement vitD (3000IU so I think we need to up this), probiotic and fish oil (which I now am changing to flax) and plays sports. I can make some changes to our family eating such as more fish and fruit/veg, more olive as our oil, egg whites instead of whole, no red meat/pork, very lean turkey/chicken, etc but there are things which I know she will not do such as give up french fries (she told me she'd rather give up her arm), no turkey/chicken, and meditate. She sometimes has coconut base ice cream but sounds like not the best choice now. I am looking at soy/nut base treats in place of this but need to be careful as my other kids have soy and nut allergies.

Has anyone else had to deal with MS and making these changes with a teen or young adult? I can see why OMS might be helpful to her over her life but she may not agree to much of it now or ever. Any advice on how to deal with this and what changes I can make that might be good for her and not objectionable. She is leaving for college in less than a year so it will really be all up to her at that point. Any advice and perspective is appreciated, even that of how to come to terms with your child having MS and how to best help him or her. Thanks and blessings!
Hi, I'm very sorry to hear that your daughter has m.s so young.
I was 23 and that was hard enough.
I went through a denial stage and refused medication.
I also rejected OMS when it was mentioned to me as it was all a bit much to get my head around.
I actually went 6 years without an attack.
I wasn't a teen though so my reply to your post may be not of much help. I just wanted to give you guys hope however.
Getting her vitamin D level in the high zone would be my first priority.
Get her tested, ask for the result. It will have a number like 130nmol/L or 52 Ng/ml
You will most likely get the response from her doctor that her result is normal.
Some doctors are yet to embrace what OMS has known for years and that is that a not always result is fine for a non M.S person but not for us with m.s.
I like keeping my level at around 200 nmol/L but not worried if it gets even higher.
If help with how to do the vitamin D level, just ask on here or look at old posts about vitamin D.

The diet is hard and I can't imagine being a student again trying to do it.
But it has been proven time and again that it's a way of keeping m.s at bay and health well.
There is a face book page called 'what we eat ' which has OMS compliant recipes.
Also some recipes are on this site, and there is the OMS cook book.
A nutria bullet is a great way to get veggies in and the flax seed oil.
My fav is cucumber, carrot, raw beetroot, flaxseed oil, half orange juice half water. Drink with a smoothie straw.

George reciently shared a link with the what we eat site about an amazing breakthrough with treating m.s damage. Which is huge for those of us who have damage to our nerves.

https://www.facebook.com/OMS.what.we.ea ... 7055621462

As a mother I know you will be doing everything you can to protect your daughter from m.s
Well done on the research you have done.
In your daughters life time I'm very certain there will be a cure.
Already many with m.s are have HSCT done and getting great results and no more m.s.
I will be getting this done.

As your daughter isn't keen on doing the whole diet I'd start with some things which are do-able.
But she needs a definitely don't eat list.
That would be meat due to saturated fat. Fried food, dairy.

If she does drop meat keep an eye on her iron levels and get her b12 levels checked regularly.

Beans are a big part of the diet so if they are not already much in your families diet I'd recommend having more so if she decides to take on the OMS diet she is more familiar with the foods.

As for what drugs to take others may answer this better, as I'm on none.
My doctor however let me go on LDN.
How aggressive is your daughters M.S?
Hi Rannie

Hello and welcome. I am fairly new to all this, having been diagnosed about 6 months ago. We were also devastated at the time, and so scared for the future. However, 6 months on, I am feeling so much better and have real hope for the future. At this point, pretty much all my symptoms are gone and the fatigue and muscle pain that I have been battling for years is beginning to improve. I still get symptoms reappearing, particularly when I catch a bug, but they disappear again and in general I feel much better.
I don't have any experience with a teenager or young adult but we do have two small kids who are quite particular about what they will and won't eat, so switching them over to this diet has been challenging and is definitely still a work in progress.
As time goes on we are finding new ways of cooking and new recipes that we enjoy. One of the best things I did, and my reason for posting now, was to buy an air fryer. This "fries" using your dry air. Our one operates at about 170'C. We now regularly eat chips made with a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil and flavoured with garlic granules and paprika. They're yummy and a big hit with everyone big and small. I also use it to make my own granola/muesli for breakfast and to cook many of the things I used to fry (eg prawns etc.) Smoothies have been a huge hit and are a great way to include both linseed oil and probiotic drinks (I make water kefir) in our diet. We have made chocolate icecream a couple of times by dissolving cacao and maple syrup in milk (we use almond milk, but I'm sure others would work) and thickening it with cornflour and then using an ice cream maker to churn it. Another thing that has worked well for us is home made fish fingers/goujons, coated in flour, egg white, and mashed up corn flakes. We have recently discovered how to make oms compliant pancakes (egg white, hemp milk and spelt flour, cooked without oil on a non stick pan). They taste slightly different to before (there's a slight taste of hemp milk) but with lemon and sugar you don't really notice. We have also found some yummy raw bars (here Aldi sell some great ones)
Switching my kids over to this way of eating was pretty daunting; they don't see why they should bother and miss things like cheese and sausages. It is taking time to fine tune this diet and find things we all like, but as time goes on we're getting there.
I suppose my advice would be to take it one step at a time. Start out omitting dairy products (which she already has) and saturated fats, and build on that. Experiment with new ways of cooking and new recipes and see what she enjoys. I have found that as I start to feel better, I have renewed enthusiasm for staying on this diet. And slowly we are finding things the kids enjoy eating. If your daughter is dead against meditation, I would leave it for now and maybe things about it again in a couple of months time when she is feeling less stressed. Also, i found this forum a great place for inspiration and support. In particular I have found all the accounts of people recovering really helpful when I'm scared or struggling.

All the best
Helen
Hello Helen and Blueberry,

Thank you so much for this wonderful and much appreciated advice. I really find input and support from others in similar situations helpful! Hard to say how aggressive my daughter's MS is. She has only had a bout of arm/hand symptoms and then was diagnosed. I guess only time will tell. I'll hope for the best.

Thank you and blessings!
Just saw this and thought I'd pass on link.
If your daughter can avoid saturated fat as much as possible her chances of having another attack are less. This is a study done in the U.K unrelated to OMS but certainly confirms what OMS does.

http://www.ms-uk.org/high-fat-diet-incr ... hildren-ms
Hello Rannie, I am sorry about your daughter, but don't grief just yet! I can share with you my experience. I was diagnosed when I was only 15 years old. I as well was taking interferon for 2-3 years and it was horrible experience indeed. Then I went to Copxone but I decided to stop it after about 1 year. After that I took nothing for 3-4 years. I had minor relapses. Now I am on Gilenya after my biggest relapse yet, after 8 years.
I can tell you the most important thing is not to stress, because stress is the worst enemy of MS.
Other that that, I was too in denial for probably the whole time since my diagnosis. Surely I took meds, but didn't take it that seriously. You are lucky that you found OMS so soon, there was nobody to tell me when I was younger. It is very important to start following the lifestyle asap, as you can see in the forum so many people live simptom free.
I wish you all the best and remember there is hope!
22 years old
First symptoms noticed 2010
Diagnosed 01/2011
OMS since 27 Sept 2017
Hello Ronnie.

Welcome here. Though I do not need persuading that you would much sooner not be here at all. What a truly distressing situation to find yourself in. My heart goes out to you. You are clearly going about supporting your daughter in a very constructive manner - your family is fortunate indeed to have you.

You have received some very good advice already from Blueberry and Helen. I do agree with the point about not pushing the OMS lifestyle changes too hard or it could have the opposite effect and turn your daughter off the whole idea.

Young OMSers
While most of us here are considerably older than your daughter, there are young people with MS on the forum. There have been quite a few posts recently from 21 year old Kira who lives in Germany and was diagnosed when she was 14. Katha_rina is likewise from Germany and is also 21. In Dubai there is 23 year old MM23 and in Australia there is Cezza93 who is also in his early twenties. I don't know if your daughter might like to make contact with some of them? You should be able to find them by typing their username into the search box.

Perhaps more relevant to you is Shannon, who is the dad of a 19 year old OMSer who is away at college. Shannon posts under the username spodaddyo: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17999

Quick OMS-friendly food
With your daughter going away to fend for herself in a year's time, she will presumably be cooking for herself, at least some of the time, so incorporating quick, easy OMS and student-friendly dishes into the daily routine is probably quite a high priority? Blueberry has already made an excellent case for beans and pulses, which are both good, economical student food and also eminently OMS compatible. A super-quick family family favourite of ours used to be a can of kidney beans - rinsed, drained and tossed in an EVOO & apple cider vinegar dressing (you could send her off to college with a huge bottle of homemade dressing!) with some sliced orange. Serve with a jacket potato (8 minutes or do in a microwave) and you have a nourishing meal.

If your daughter likes hummus, that's another really good stand-by. Where I live in the U.K. we can buy the Duchy Original brand that's made with EVOO - maybe you have a good brand available in your part of the world? Hummus with some raw carrot sticks or wholemeal crackers can be a life-saver.

Avocado on wholemeal toast is another 2 minute meal. I know there are OMS purists who hold that half an avocado a week is the maximum one should have (because of the saturated fat content) but if it's a choice between a plate of fries and an avocado, I know which I'd go for!

If your daughter is good with seafood, a bag of cooked prawns in the freezer allows for a tasty and super nutritious salad within minutes.

Nuts are a super nutritious addition to a quick salad. Their nutritional value & digestabilibty increases up to three times if they are soaked in water overnight, rinsed and dried off again in a very low oven. They also come out much, much more delicious. Bit onerous for a student but possibly something to do at home?

Inspiration
In the beginning, the OMS diet can seem - rather dauntingly - to be all about things one can't eat. So I have been on the prowl for online inspiration and found some brilliant recipe blogs that rave about plant-based food. Some of my current favourites are:

Tales from a Kitchen - http://talesofakitchen.com
My New Roots - https://www.mynewroots.org/site/
The Full Helping - https://www.thefullhelping.com
This Rawsome Vegan Life - http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com
Maple Spice - http://www.maplespice.com

Kenji from Serious Eats also has some helpful posts under the Vegan Experience section:
http://www.seriouseats.com/columns/the_vegan_experience

Inevitably, there is quite a lot of coconut oil around in the above recipes. I find I can usually replace coconut oil with cold pressed avocado oil or EVOO and desiccated coconut with some chopped nuts.

Chocolate ice cream
Finally for the important subject of chocolate ice cream. There are a few suggestions on this page that might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7753#content-wrapper

Or you could try this unusual but delicious-sounding "frozen hot chocolate" made with - of all things - cauliflower!
https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2017/06 ... chocolate/

I wish you and your family all the best,

Jette
1st diagnosis Feb 02 (not told); 2nd diagnosis Sep 15; Dairy-free Oct 15; OMS Jan 16; LDN July 16
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
Thank you so much Kira, Jette, Blueberry and Helen. I really appreciate all the insight and ideas and of course most importantly, support. Thank you for sharing your stories with me!

Many blessings,
Rebecca
Hi Rannie,
Sorry it’s taken a bit to get back to you; I’ve been less present on the OMS forums recently while we did battle with the American health insurance system. I’m so pleased Jette felt it suitable to mention the similarities in our families - it shows what a good “family” you’ve found here in OMS. It will be a real source of hope for you.
For now I’ll simply echo what others have said.
Allow yourselves to grieve but then allow yourselves the hope and inspiration to be found as well.
I’ll PM you in case you’d like to get in touch.
-Shannon
I see wonderful Jette mentioned me earlier :) - always happy to connect! Wonderful people on this forum helped me a lot.

I am a bit older than your daughter but nevertheless was equally horrified of my diagnosis. My humble words of advice: Let her "take in" her diagnosis before making a drastic change in lifestyle. I discovered OMS very early on and I have to admit it made me a bit intimidated. I felt so guilty every time I would eat something non-OMS (I used to take my health for granted) which added more stress to my life. Getting the diagnosis is confusing and horrifying enough! It took me some time to grieve my diagnosis before I decided to do "whatever it takes" and make changes for better. The decision has to come from her & your support when that happens will be irreplaceable. Also, food is just one part of healthy living - controlling stress, enjoying moments with family and friends, being a better person altogether (instead of worrying about eating coconut ice cream here and there) will do great for (anyone's) health. Hoping for many years of happy moments and fulfillment ;)

You say betaferon is not working well for her? How long has she been on it? Reading this http://www.msbrainhealth.org/perch/reso ... -oct15.pdf helped me take active role in DMD discussion with my neurologist :)

Best of luck!
MS = April 2017
OMS = April 2017
11 posts Page 1 of 2