3 posts Page 1 of 1
Ok,here is my issue! Last week I saw my neurologist to arrange my yearly MRI.This will be my third including diagnosis and it transpires that I have had MS for over ten years without knowing it.Two years ago I started to develop symptoms and this is how it was eventually discovered.The symptoms weren’t in the form of relapses but steadily getting worse.My neuro decided on a watch and see policy and I started taking Aubagio for relapsing/remitting MS and started OMS at the same time.A few months ago I put it to my doctor that I think I had benign MS which transitioned into secondary due to the build up of damage and she told me I could be right.So I then suggested that I stop taking the tablets which she agreed to.I should add that since starting OMS my symptoms have either improved or disappeared and I have been stable and well.At my latest appointment my doctor told me somewhat proudly (I thought) that when attending an American conference she’d learnt that MS medication if you’re over 50yrs doesn’t do anything so it was ok for me to stop taking g the tablets.I think she felt vindicated for allowing me to stop but if I hadn’t had OMS I’d be pretty depressed ,although I had always known that there really isn’t anything for my kind of disease.So I’ve now been given my appointment for the MRI with contrast (a 4 hour task that I dread) and although I will of course go along like a good girl I can’t help wondering if there is any point to all to this. I know it’s too soon after diagnosis to stop but I find it stressful and depressing.My doctor knows about OMS but like most docs doesn’t have any interest or understanding.Just wondered if anyone else is in a situation like mine ?
Hi, your story sounds similar to mine. I'm secondary progressive without really passing through R/R. I've just had my latest MRI, brain and spine. I didn't really want another one but I live in a country with a private health insurance system so one's dossier needs to be up to date. That said, I refused the contrast having researched the issue following a few posts here. Not having the contrast agent shortened the process a bit. And when I was with the neurologist he agreed that it was a good idea to avoid the contrast and that it wasn't necessary. There was no point me being annoyed with him that he had ordered an MR I with contrast. I decided life's too short. I hope all goes well with you.
Thanks Welshgal, I hadn’t heard of the issue with contrast.Like you I will need to go along with it this time but I will certainly long into it :roll:
3 posts Page 1 of 1