Not sure exactly where to post this one, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Yesterday, I went to a Chinese doctor (from Beijing and practicing for 25 years) for the first time. I told him my symptoms but not that I have MS. He said that my energy is very, very low and what I have is very, very bad (he asked if I had gone to the doctor for it and I told him I had). He surmised that I had an "infection" originating in the back of my head, but he "couldn't be sure."

I was there to try acupuncture but he told me that herbs would be more powerful and that I should go the medicine route instead (as I have a limited budget--meds cost less than acupuncture actually and he certainly didn't have to tell me that). After two days of herbal meds (in the form of large stickers on my hands and feet and next time a tea concoction) I have noticed a decrease in my numbness and pins and needles and I am sleeping much better.

I am not advocating chinese medicine but am finding it to be a nice addition for me. I also like the care I am being shown by this friendly doctor.

The reason I bring this up here is because there is a conflict between the OMS diet and chinese medicine for MS and associated symptoms. The doctor told me I am very "damp" and after just now looking online at MS and Chinese Traditional Medicine (CTM), I see that this is common for people with MS. The remedy is to introduce "warmth." This is done through the herbs chosen, diet, and even "closing the windows and doors." I am not a convert but read that to counteract dampness, warmth in the diet is introduced through foods like chicken. He asked, "are you are eating a lot of fish lately?" And then he was concerned when I said I was vegan plus fish and eat fish quite regularly. He told me I need to start eating chicken and I haven't eaten chicken in 10 years (I was a vegetarian pre-diagnosis). He also told me I need to gain 10 kilos and I have found on the OMS diet it is extremely hard for me to put on weight.
http://www.acupuncture.com/nutrition/chinut1.htm

It seems we should all figure out the balance that works for us and I am in that process. I lived in China for two years and am VERY familiar with the limits of current Chinese healthcare (I lived in rural China and basically had to have a plan to get proper medical attention if necessary which involved traveling, even out of the country depending on the severity). At the same time, I don't discount 1,000's of years worth of accumulated knowledge with TCM, especially when considering symptom management.

What do you think about this?