16 posts Page 2 of 2

Thanks for sharing this Alex.

I've had a similar experience this year. I was diagnosed with CIS in 2012, and told that I may develop MS. I decided to follow OMS in 2015 as I was convinced, after some research, that it probably was MS. I was pretty conscientious with the diet, vit D, flax seed oil etc. until last year when I started to ease up a bit on some things, and like you, I neglected to re-order my flax seed oil when it ran out. Then this summer, we went on holiday to Italy, staying in a hotel for a week with evening meals included. I decided that it wouldn't matter too much if I was a bit lax for one week. A couple of weeks later, I became aware of pins and needles in my feet which became fairly persistent. This prompted me to make a GP appointment and I was then given a neurology referral once again (my first since 2012). When I saw the neurologist in September, he confirmed that I did indeed have MS, and that, on reviewing my results from 2012, I'd had it all along.

I'm glad that I followed my instincts in the first instance as I wonder how much disease progression I might have experienced if I'd not discovered and embraced OMS. I'm now back on track but now have to decide whether I should start taking medication when I next see the neurologist - he is recommending it but I'm not sure that's the path I want to go down as I feel fairly symptom free again and have more faith in OMS than he does.

What an amazing community! It's just lovely read the comments and share the journey.
So great to hear your news ssolo about continuing good health and now you get to stop pricking yourself with a needle each day. I don't miss the bee=sting. The meditation is well worth exploring until you find something that suits you. I love the voices and way that Andy explains it at Get Some Headspace.

You know the old Pavla's dog experiment where the guy rings the bell at dinner time is able to make the dog start salivating in anticipation, well it seems now as soon as I hear Andy's voice I start deep breathing. Today, I had an awesome meditation experience while sitting by a quiet duck pond listening to the sound of crashing surf from my iPhone. Just for a second I felt I was transported and could taste the salty smell the sea in my nostrils for what seemed like ages but was probably only a few seconds. Time and reality really do play tricks when you meditate and I live at least 3 hours away from the sea.

Hey lusky, I'm glad we can both inspire each other. Oh, how sneaky can partners, friends, family be to try to sabotage us? Coconut is just plain nuts. I had a colleague today offer me a Girl Guide biscuit which was full of butter. I said no and told him it's a no no for me but then 5 mins later walks around room and offers everyone a biscuit including me. I responded that it was tempting but yeah nah I like walking too much. Almost every day I have some whacko offer me something they bleeding well know I can't eat. Now, I don't know if I'm making this up but I simply don't recall the amount of junk being offered since I told everyone I'm back on my diet, yes okay call me 'special K' if you like.

Hey Mojo, I love your handle! I congratulate you for having the guts to start the program while you were in the dreaded limbo land of CIS. I have a colleague who has a million weird symptoms yet his scans are apparently clear and doctors aren't being very supportive. I remember the anxiety and trauma of waiting 3 months to be diagnosed but can't imagine going years! You're one tough cookie and very wise to take it up and now go back on program straight away after your episode. If you're fairly symptom free I can understand why you wouldn't be that keen on taking the drugs.

My update, it's now been almost 2 months since my relapse. The good news is that I didn't have any new lesions but man oh man I dislike the unpredictability of how my body is going to work sometimes or fail at others depending on my emotions, people, weather, or no reason at all. I'm still limping for days at a time but then only a few time a day. Today was a good day, only a couple of limpy limps.

Today, I moved to slightly heavier weights in the morning, along with beautiful stretching while listening to motivating words about my identity and purpose. A great start to day, felt awesome drinking Flaxseed oil and OJ slammer. I was walking well. I have to really concentrate to walk well but that's ok. At around 2.30pm in the afternoon I was closing a meeting and I had to get up from my chair to turn off TV and all of a sudden I started limping for no apparent reason and of course I get the usual look and questions. But then about 30 minutes later I was "cured" yeeeh, until an hour or so later when I realised I wasn't and started to limp again. Hmmmm. But I've ended on a high.

So, I'm pressing on regardless knowing that eventually the MS will disappear into the black ink from whence it came. Each day I am one day closer to wellness as long as I stay on the program of diet, exercise and meditation. It's a real revelation being back on the program 100%. I feel so much better within myself which I seem to recall is the start of something beautiful ahead. Give up catatrophizing about your symptoms, situation, ditch the 'poor me' attitude about your condition and just focus on eating, breathing, loving, exercising, and living.

Here's to one day at a time. Good health to all
Blessings
Alex

Developed 5 May 2011, Diagnosed 4 Aug 2011, OMS 15 Sept 2011, Gluten-Free 22 February 2012, Recovery declaration 2 September 2014, Relapse 14 October 2019, Recovery declared again 1 November 2020.

Thank you for telling me about it. I hope you'll feel better every day.

Hi Alex

I realise that this thread is nearly a year old - but I just wanted to tell you how important it has been for me to read of your experience. I went onto the OMS programme after my diagnosis four years ago and became fitter and healthier than I had been for a long time. While I have tried to stay on the straight and narrow - I have lapsed here and there and have reached a point where I know that I need to up my game.

I have decided to give up full time teaching and tutor part-time from home. I am renewing my efforts with the whole programme and focussing on getting back to 100% OMS.

I found your story moving and inspirational and I thank you for sharing it. You are right, this is a wonderful community. Am off now for a walk.

Joy

Stick with it Joy.

Has Alex touched base lately? If yes going well?
Evening my OMS family

I just stopped by to share my news.

It’s been nearly 12 months since my big relapse and boy what a wild ride. I’m happy to report that thanks to following the program including much Christian Meditation that my recovery is progressing well. I have stopped limping regularly or intermittently, numbness and tingling is back down to my feet, and I don’t feel easily fatigued anymore.

I have now walked 13 holes of golf and feel on track to complete 18 holes by Christmas and again claim recovery for a second time.

COVID-19 has mostly been a positive experience for me. I’ve been able to work from home and stress levels have been greatly reduced. I’ve also spent much quality time with my family which is also very healing.

I’m trying not to give MS any oxygen so don’t generally talk or read about it anymore.

Today, I had 40ml of flaxseed oil, piece of gluten free multigrain toast with EVOO and vegemite for breakfast. Lunch was tofu, broccoli, rice noodles with home made basil pesto. Dinner was a huge one off celebration with air Fried home made crumbed lean chicken breast and veggies with 2 glasses of white wine.

What was I celebrating you may ask? In addition to my good health, I scored a hole in one at golf - my first!!

To those struggling, I’m sorry for your distress but please keep persevering with the program. Good times are just around the corner. I can honestly say the program has saved my life now twice!

Thanks to all those who have commented since my last post. I’m grateful to hear Joy that my words have helped you cope with your battle. May anyone thinking of stopping the program draw inspiration from my experience.

Wishing you all peace, love, and happiness.
Blessings
Alex

Developed 5 May 2011, Diagnosed 4 Aug 2011, OMS 15 Sept 2011, Gluten-Free 22 February 2012, Recovery declaration 2 September 2014, Relapse 14 October 2019, Recovery declared again 1 November 2020.
16 posts Page 2 of 2