6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone trust you are doing well.

A Hybrid diet where you cherry pick the foods that work from each diet who's tried one, who's on one currently and did/does it work. If you have tried it what foods work and which ones don't.

I've tried Paleo, Wahls, Overcoming MS. I'll given each one a good run and each diet has foods that work and foods that don't. I've been strict with each one. Some examples - oats, brown rice and legumes give me an MS attack every time, all of those are recommended on Overcoming MS. Bacon and processed meat in general on the Wahls/Paleo type diets bring on an MS attack, I also find the sauces that you tend to eat with these meats are more problematic than the meat themselves. The lack of carbs on this diet causes severe weight loss on an already lean frame. I work in a physical job 6 days a week so i need lots of fuel to get through the day. If I was to do the Paleo/Wahls type diet again I think I'd try it without process red meat and the associated sauces I'd add a safe starch like basmati rice.

I'd love to get some feedback on this and to see what foods are working and which aren't.

I know we are all different but if I can get enough feedback we may be able to find some common ground.

My MS is active. I am drug free so my diet isn't supported by anything which in some ways helps as drugs can mask problems with your diet. Paper over the cracks so to speak.
I tried Paleo & became very sick but have been recovering since starting OMS, no relapse since 2011. MS has been mild for me, we are all different. I do eat around food intolerances & preferences yet don't consider it a hybrid diet

I don't know what sort health professional you need to seek out but an online forum would seem unlikely to give you the kind of guidance you need

Hope you find what works for you!
Diagnosed 2006
OMS 18th September 2014 & loving it!
Legumes, I personally find I am fine with chickpeas and red split lentils and fresh green beans. I do not get on with soya and brown lentils.
Sweet potato is very filling and high nutritious and can be used in so many things.
karenj wrote: I tried Paleo & became very sick but have been recovering since starting OMS, no relapse since 2011. MS has been mild for me, we are all different. I do eat around food intolerances & preferences yet don't consider it a hybrid diet

I don't know what sort health professional you need to seek out but an online forum would seem unlikely to give you the kind of guidance you need

Hope you find what works for you!

Cheers Karen thanks for the reply. Yes paleo/wahls was good in parts for me but in other ways it didn't work for me either. If I followed it while keeping saturated fats under 20g it was fine ms wise but I also had issues with weight loss (I was slim to start with) and lacking energy.

Don't discount the value of an online forum and this one is a good one (( : i managed to put my first autoimmune disease (ankylosing spondylitis) into remission after reading information i found on a forum. I won't bore you with the entire details but a bacteria called Klebsiella was implicated in that disease and it was found that by starving it off its food source (starch) you put the disease into remission. Not one of my Doctors told me that (geez i wonder why) they were just happy to take my money and pump me full of drugs (which cause their own set of problems). If only I had of known that bit of info all those years ago it would have saved me a lot of pain and suffering as well as money.

I think in regard to MS, research/info is headed the same way and I tend to agree that ms will be caused at least in part by a bacteria in our gut. We'll have some sort of gene that will cause a cascade of events that leads to developing ms. I'm guessing as was the case for AS that the experts will find out what food source that it feeds on we'll drop that from the diet and wow what do you know ms will be put into remission.
veg wrote: Legumes, I personally find I am fine with chickpeas and red split lentils and fresh green beans. I do not get on with soya and brown lentils.
Sweet potato is very filling and high nutritious and can be used in so many things.

Cheers Veg thanks for the reply.

Funny disease isn't it. I can't do legumes, baked beans, brown rice. Sweet potato I'm ok with atm. Gluten even though I love it and miss it does me in. Gluten free bread geez it's getting better but it still ain't good unless toasted. I've yet to try your wrap recipe. Normal beer wow you don't realise how good that is on a hot day till its gone. I'm learning to love gluten free beer. Red wine in winter.

I know a few on here do a hybrid diet would love to hear from them at some stage.
Craig you are totally right about online forums, that's where I turn to also, & I have learnt so many helpful things

Thanks for pointing that out!
Diagnosed 2006
OMS 18th September 2014 & loving it!
6 posts Page 1 of 1