21 posts Page 1 of 3
I have been doing nothing with my free time outside of researching nutrition since my husband's recent 'diagnosis' of MS. I was all about the Swank diet, and then through a nutritionist friend was referred to the Weston Price Foundation.

I grew up in a fat-free, low-fat, sugar-free this, sugar-free that household. I was brainwashed to believe everything had to be low-calorie and low-fat. My mother died an anorexic. I battle food issues. I had NO problem adhering to the Swank diet with my husband, at first. In fact, it really did not differ greatly from our normal diet anyhow.

And now here I've come across the Weston Price Foundation and I am utterly confused. I know most of you on this forum follow the Swank diet with a great deal of success in managing your MS. However even this low-fat, fat-free girl admits there is some compelling information from Weston Price. I did not just read the information on the website either - I googled the scientists and the doctors who are referenced on the website to dig further and further. The more I dig, the more controversy I find and the more confused I become.

Our brains are about 50-50 cholesterol and fat - so how can eliminating cholesterol and fat be good for the brain and nervous system? Especially for those of you with MS. My breast milk is 50-50 cholesterol and fat because that is what my son's brain needs to grow and develop. It just makes me think about fat in an entirely different way. I think I have come to the conclusion that fat is a good - as long as it is derived from whole, natural foods that have not been modified or engineered.

Is anyone out there following the Weston Price protocol - or the Terry Wahls diet that we can connect with and compare with?

When you go low-fat, fat-free, sugar-free - you are left with a whole lot of processed crap outside of just eating vegetables all the time. We eat a ton of vegetables and fish - and on occasion we eat grass-fed beef. But I feel like the processed stuff is more harmful than whole, unprocessed foods, including raw milk, raw butter from grass-fed cows, sheep, goat, etc. - which do in fact have a significant amount of fat. Even skim milk is processed - so while it may be fat-free...it is PROCESSED and UNNATURAL. And then you have soy - which is in EVERYTHING but if you read the information regarding soy on the Weston Price Foundation's website, soy doesn't sound like anything any of us should be consuming unless it is fermented.

I guess I am asking for guidance, and I am also venting because I do not know which dietary direction we should go that will be the healthiest for all of us. I'm so confused.

Thank you for allowing me to unload and I look forward to any responses.
Hi
OMS is an evidence based program with a grounding in Swank's work and further enhanced.
I would suggest you read the book.
This is not low fat this is a low saturated fat way of eating.
Whole food plant centric with some fish, no processed commercial, fried or refined foods.
Veg is absolutely right - OMS is a low saturated fat NOT a low fat diet based on Swanks very important 50 year study plus the benefit of more recent scientific studies. Saturated fat is replaced with plenty of Omega 3 oils.

When it comes to the differences between OMS and Wahls, the differences are vastly outweighed by the similarities. Organ meat, coconut and grains seem to make up the differences.

Professor Jelinek has made this comment on Weston Price
It is always important to look at the source of the information you read. Looking carefully at the article provided, you will see that it is written by the Weston A Price Foundation, started by Weston Price, a dentist, who advocates a meat and dairy-centred diet. Do a Google search on this group and you will see that their recommendations and the group have been thoroughly debunked by many other groups. It is always important to look at the actual science; it can be quite confusing when you see websites like 'Natural Health Strategies' that look convincing, but are actually not at all evidence-based.

Be well

George

Re soy: Legumes, including soy, are extremely healthy foods, and are full of protein, which is useful for people not eating animal products. They have been used for centuries by many societies and there is no clear documentation of any health problems associated with their use. Some have suggested they be avoided by people with immune based diseases, but there does not appear to be any strong basis for this suggestion. Soy in particular would appear to have many advantages over dairy products, and most studies suggest better health outcomes for those consuming soy products regularly.
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are confused - as you say, there is so much contrasting information out there. This is just the view of one non scientifically minded OMSer:

Swank: The OMS diet is based on the Swank diet but is not identical. It's a low saturated fat diet, but isn't low fat or no fat. There are obviously other aspects to the OMS programme, e.g. exercise. There is also considerable evidence that Swank/OMS can slow or stop disease progression and lead to recovery.

Weston Price: I wouldn't trust the Weston Price people as far as I could throw them. I don't trust their motives. I'm not aware of any evidence that their recommended diet benefits people with MS. Also, whilst I'm not an expert on the subject, I have read that we produce our own cholesterol, so don't need to to get it from fatty sausages and the like.

Terry Wahls: Terry did amazing things to recover from her MS and it is admirable that she is committed to undertaking research on her approach. Whilst there may be similarities between OMS and Wahls, they are different diets incorporating different principles. If OMS didn't exist I would do the Wahls diet, notwithstanding the fact that there is only limited evidence for it. But as OMS does exist, and there is far more evidence that OMS/Swank works, I'll stick with that.

This is obviously just my own opinion and we each have our own choice to make. Good luck with yours!

Chris
I think it's also important to remember that people with MS are likely genetically dissimilar from the rest of the population. We might metabolize fat differently, or fats might interact with our immune system differently. So what has worked for others might not work for us.

I also used to be a fan of raw milk when I could get it. I really thought low fat diets were BS. I didn't gain weight and focused on cooking delicious traditional western foods. My mom's relatives had been dairy farmers who lived well into their 90s. It turns out my health circumstances will be different from theirs.

Follow the evidence and trust your gut. I love that OMS and Dr. Jelinek don't resort to hyperbole, sensationalism, or demonizing. Dr. Jelinek isn't held up as an infallible guru. I would also say pay attention to the tone of the various experts. These are tough questions to grapple with, so the answers should be balanced and complex, and include a well thought out response to critiques. If links to products are prominent take that into account. Like you I read everything I could get my hands on when I got diagnosed. The good thing is that now know I left no stone unturned. Your BS and crazy meter will become more finely tuned and you guys will follow the path that rings true for you.

As the others said, the common denominator is losing industrialized foods and loading up on vegetables and fruit, eating animals (fish in our case) that fed on the same. That is a big challenge even for true believers.

If you want a step back and to laugh, read the blog post The Terrible Tragedy of the Healthy Eater. She really hits the nail on the head. http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy ... eater.html

Good luck!

Ashlinn
Udo's book "Fats that Heal Fats that Kill" is excellent at explaining how fats good and bad behave in the body.. Also explains how it makes combinations needed from the right fats eaten.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I tend to find that websites based on solid scientific evidence give references for the statements that they make, so that it's easy to find the original research. Naming doctors without providing links to the research being discussed is something that sets off alarm bells for me, as it makes me think the website author is trying to sound very factual and scientific without actually providing the evidence that supports their claims.
I've never heard of Weston-Price (it sounds like this is a good thing). Wahls is hugely intriguing, especially since it was one of the first things I heard about after being diagnosed. Has anyone thought about just trying all of them, for a month at a time or so? Not the one that everyone thinks is bad. But there is Wahls, and Swank, and one program that seems to be endorsed by the MS society here that probably fits closer to Swank than the Paleo option.
Oh and on proessed foods - I think they're everywhere no matter how much fat and sugar is added to them. Non-processed foods just take a little more time and energy - not easy during a flare - so I'm aware that there may be times when I don't do ANY of the diets because symptoms and work and generally surviving are going to get in the way of doing the diets to allow general survival. Yay.
The NZ MS Society recommend Swank's dietary guidelines with references to Jelinek and OMS. Much of what they recommend is directly sourced from this website.
http://www.msnz.org.nz/Page.aspx?pid=332

Also, Gary McMahon (who is now based in the UK as CEO of OMS UK) was the general manager of the Auckland branch of the NZ MS Society who ran OMS retreats for many years in the Coromandel. As a result, OMS is mainstream in New Zealand.
21 posts Page 1 of 3