24 posts Page 3 of 3
Hello folks,

Again, sorry for the delay - I've had a rough time recently (feeling crappy, then new lesions on MRI, steroids, new semester at uni, lots of work and still feeling crappy, then a respiratory tract infection, now considering a change of DMD etc etc). I haven't really been able to stick to the low-FODMAP diet either. I do think that a lot of my GI issues are related to grains, but I'm not sure yet. Have you seen any success so far, sunlight?
Sorry you've been having such a bad time, amyb.

It's early days with the food diary and elimination, but I'm beginning to see some patterns emerging. I don't think onions are a problem, which is good. Chickpeas and lentils do seem to be a problem, which isn't so good. But finding these things out can only be positive.

Keep on keeping on.
Diagnosed 2013.
I have had GI issues since my first MS symptoms, seems it messed with the message between my gut & brain, gave me STC (slow transit constipation) & I now I have too much (or the wrong sort?) bacteria in the small intestine (SIBO) & its given me problems for the past 10 years off & on. Problems are on now. :(

I have been OMS for 6 months & I had added foods back in as I was feeling so well on the program. Seems I added back too much too quickly.

This week I have resumed Low fodmaps as part of my strategy to deal with my tummy trouble.

Before I added in everything I felt fantastic, I had loads of energy, clear head & no GI symptoms at all, it was wonderful & I look forward to feeling that way again soon.

I found that I could add back in lots of vegetables & quite a variety of fruit, so long as I don't go overboard like I did recently.
Diagnosed 2006
OMS 18th September 2014 & loving it!
Hope you are both doing well. More info on the diet and the latest diet help booklet can be found at shepherdworks.com.au ( I realise you prob have this, but may help others).
Great point that the diet is designed to go off common triggers for several weeks then reintroduce to determine individual level of tolerance.
In most cases symptoms are from eating the food. So you can still cook with large chunks of onion or garlic for flavour, just don't eat them! Helps in cooking esp. Risotto or stirfry. :-) green part of spring onions is also OK to eat. Easy to grow too.
Lots of ppl find they can tolerate one meal with wheat per day, but mix it up with rice, oats, quinoa, gluten free ( automatically wheat free) pasta, potato at other meals.
These food components are the food for our gut bacteria. So it is important to reintroduce foods where we can.
Not everyone reacts to fructose or polyols, so these are good groups to reintroduce first. Oms ERS don't consume lactose anyways.
Most people only partially absorb the problem compounds in Chickpeas, beans and lentils .... Just if you have an overactive response this can mean painful cramping etc rather than just a bit of extra gas! I usually avoid chickpeas but am trying to include more alternate legumes.... Then I will start making hummus again.
Another tip is to reintroduce foods in isolation eg. Adding beans + onion can have more effect than one or the other on its own.
Just thought I would add to the coversation .....
24 posts Page 3 of 3