6 posts Page 1 of 1
Okay, so I just got results from a kidney stone study and the recommendation is a low oxalate diet. I looked it up and I'm supposed to avoid almost everthing that I currently eat--notably a lot of vegetables and limited flax seed.

Anyone else trying to limit oxalate intake? It seems pretty much impossible as a vegetarian/vegan.
Hi
How long have your been on OMS?

I am not a medic but I am very sceptic of diets for diseases which promote eaiting the very foods that make diseases common meat and dairy.

Found a read you might find interesting.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... 22&t=18327
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... =22&t=8870

Don't lose heart have a read around the site above is fully vegan so that might give you some grounding around what you can eat fruit vegetables etc.
The OMS plan has many linking elements so even if you tweak what you eat you are still exercising, mediatating, high vitamin D avoiding meat and dairy etc.
OMS for 17mos.

Thanks for the links! I'll read through and have some discussions points for the dietician.

I can't imagine limiting leafy greens, vegetables and beans!
Just read your last thread, you are OMS so your prior diet was over a year ago now.
I think I would still read the links as you might find something new in there to read.
Hi Barngirl

I have kidney stones also and I am aware that a low oxalate diet is good if the kidney stones are calcium oxalate stones. I have never managed to 'catch' a stone to get it tested but my older sister has calcium oxalate stones and she is on a low oxalate diet. She does not have MS but has been a vegetarian for many years although does eat a little dairy. You are right, many of the foods which are part of OMS are high oxalate but there are many that can be safely eaten. Chickpeas and Lentils are low oxalate as are some fruit and veg but many are unfortunately high in oxalate, things like spinach, berries and many more really healthy super foods. It is really difficult to know what to do. If anyone has ever experienced the pain of a kidney stone (excruciating) you would consider limiting high oxalate food. I haven't gone as far as limiting high oxalates but I do drink alot of water and this is probably one of the most important things anyone with kidney stones can do ....especially if eating high oxalate food. I am thinking that I should not be eating as many almonds as I do though!
Without knowing 100% whether my stones are calcium oxalate stones, I'm a little reluctant to stop eating so many of the vegies that I love.

My sister has managed to reduce the size of a stone since being on this diet...she has had several renal colic episodes in the past few years. I'm just hoping mine stay quiet!

I would be really interested to see how you get on, good luck :)

Anastasia
Hi

I have just read this thread. I had 3 calcium oxalate stones removed at the end of 2014. I take 5,000 IUs of Vit D3 daily and advised the 'Stones Team' who treated me that I was following the OMS diet. They were not concerned about my vit D3 intake and both the Consultant and Registrar (who did her MD thesis on calcium oxalate stones) were very enthusiastic about my pesca-vegan diet. To avoid stones forming in the future I was primarily advised to drink 3ltr of water a day ("that's your medicine from now on") - enough to make pee almost neutral in colour. I was told to avoid black tea but tea with soy milk enhanced with calcium is fine - to avoid stones forming it is important for oxalic acid to bind with calcium in the gut, not in the kidneys. Green tea is fine. So now I make custard with soy milk to eat with rhubarb (don't use organic soy milk, that doesn't have calcium in it) and I avoid spinach-like veg (annoying as I grow swiss chard and love it). I also have to avoid sesame seeds which is a shame but not life-changing. Broccoli is more than perfectly safe to eat though.

The spinach/cheese sauce combo makes sense to me now (oxalic acid in the spinach binding with calcium from the cheese sauce in the gut, before it gets to the kidneys). Apparently strawberries are a no-no - so now I also understand the pairing of strawberries and cream, also not for us, I'll just stick to raspberries from now on. I was also advised that potassium citrate in the form of lemon juice (or other citrus fruits - but lemon is best) helps reduce the incidence of crystals forming so I now add the juice of half a lemon to my diet daily (not sure this enough - still researching).

Exercise is also good for those with stones - so even more incentive to become less inactive.

I suspect my dairy-free diet may have contributed to the accelerated growth of the stones even though the calcium level in my blood is fine. Who knows - I am probably just a stoner.
DX May 2012
OMS Sept 2012
Retreat July 2014
6 posts Page 1 of 1