5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I have been trying the Jelinek diet with limited success unfortunately :cry:

With further thinking, the reason I kept falling off was because I was constantly hungry and became irritable through tiredness (particularly at work).

Interestingly at the same time, a session on low carb diets aired in Australia on the ABC 'Catalyst' program(http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1302H018S00).

This got me thinking about the amount of protein in my diet and the effect on my energy levels and hunger. I found that (due to not being the most creative cook!), I wasn't having a lot of proteins as part of my day-time eating (I usually had proteins with dinner). Before being diagnosed with MS, I had tried a 'caveman' style diet (simply minimising the amount of processed foods in the diet rather than cutting out certain food groups). As part of this I had a fair bit of proteins as snacks. I found I was satisfied with this diet.

I am wondering how others include sufficient protein and good oils in the diet to fend off hunger and irritability attacks! I am particularly interested in protein based snacks that I can have between meals (I do also have to suss out further lunch-box style lunches for work that contain sufficient protein to keep me going to dinner).

Many thanks,
Chickpeas have protein and are good in the lunch box (in the form of hummus with cut up vegies and flat bread) - also sushi with salmon or tuna is a good one for lunch - I recently learned to make it myself which means it is a lot cheaper, and have it with a sachet-style miso soup (easy to transport)

Also I am in love with black beans - they are low carb and high in protein and taste delicious and can be added to a salad or soup to make it more filling - I make a black bean dahl (it is the lentils that are black in this one) - all pulses (beans, lentils and chickpeas) are good for protein and slow burning carbs - I always freeze two servings of this for (fatigue related) emergencies.

Some people will tell you to steer clear of spirulina because it boosts the immune system but I have it - it has protein and is really good for a lot of things, including making you feel full - a green smoothie in the afternoon with spirulina, celery, spinach and banana and apple and lemon will make you feel full. sometimes I make five of these and freeze them and then take one out of the freezer every morning and have it in the afternoon ( you could take a frozen on to work and it would be ready for you by afternoon)
If you really can't stand the spirulina you could substitute for barley grass. the other possibility is a kind of frozen lassi with mango, almond milk, soy yogurt and a bit of honey and maybe even some wheatgerm - I dare you not to feel full on that one!

Whole grains and buckwheat also contain some protein.

I have found learning to cook more Indian food particularly useful as there are so many delicious vegetarian recipes that have lots of protein and iron. there is a blog called the fat free vegan which you might like to have a look at - it has simple, tasty and reasonably filling recipes.
Fantastic, many thanks nryan.

Will certainly look into hummus (can't believe I overlooked this!) - I think with the raw veggies as you say, I think it will fill the gap. Great idea about the spirulina drink as well. I have been looking into blender options to make drinks containing kale and fruits and other superfoods.

Cheers,
And what about oatmeal with all the added extras! So delicious and filling.
There is nothing low protein about OMS you just have to eat enough food.
Less calorie dense food means need to eat more.
Protein is in all foods including lettuce just some food are denser like chickpeas or potatoes.

I would suggest you as to your reading list The China Study.
OMS is more than just the diet it is a whioe programme of diet, exercise and meditation.
Have you had your vitamin d level tested?
5 posts Page 1 of 1