11 posts Page 1 of 2
I am newly diagnosed with MS (10 days)and have surfed around and ordered books- Swanks, Wahls and Graham's have arrived but not Jelinek :cry: Swank does not cut milk and allows meat (chicken) but I'm fine with never eating beef again ...but Wahls says we should have liver 1x a week.It sounds like a good plan but I think it would not fit with the OMS approach at all. All approaches promote fish but my daughter tells me shrimp are high in cholesterol and avoiding fat seems to be the key to Swanks approach Soooo confusing. I realise Swank diet is older (my book says 79) but his approach was -I believe- an inspiration for later approaches. I don't understand why we should avoid soy sauce and legumes as well a wheat according to Wahls... Before being diagnosed I'd already cut chocolate (over a year ago) ... also I'm confused about how to stir fry...what oil should be used when stir frying? Is it so bad to use a tsp of olive oil when stir frying? Will this turn my olive oil into hydrogenated oil? How about coconut? Good or bad?
I guess I'm really eager to get Georges Jelinek' s book.Any day now.
Lovely web site.so much information. I feel so lucky to have found it. And so grateful to all who have created it.

I have told my family doctor about OMS and she is very supportive.I also feel fortunate to have progressive MS as my neurologist was very straight with me and said medications did not work with my kind of MS. Right after he said to not be discouraged and that I needn't buy a chair right away as the aforementioned chair might very well be completely out-dated by the time I would need it- if I ever needed it.He didn't mention diet nor vitamin D though.My GP prescribed it for me, so I can start tomorrow.

I have cried a lot, but now feel much more brave.
Hi
Swank's work is the foundation from which OMS is built with research reading and input from more recent work by Jenelik. Pick a plan and go with it. However I won't eat meat far too much out there as to why not so that's easy Whals is too close to eating pattern that got me sick in the first place. You will fry your head trying to follow and pick apart why the differences in the approaches. If when you listen to your body you observe that certain foods don't sit well with any symptoms you might experience and aggravate them then you decide to reduce their intake. For this reason I don't do pineapple the rush I get takes my legs out.
Read the OMS book when it comes, Swank's patrons did very well but still deteriorated OMS is about acheiving more and recovering from MS.
Stir frying is with no oils you can water stir fry. Some use water and a bit of extra virgin olive oil the water keeps the heat down, I only ever use water.
Thank you. Very helpful. I have to re-learn how to cook now.
It is very liberating breaking free of old cooking habits. I want to be well, dynamic, energetic and hopeful and support this by looking forward and not back at what I used to do.
The first thing to do is get your vitamin d level checked.
I was diagnosed last January and went through exactly the same baffling indesicion i.e. reading up on all the ms diets out there that all seem to have worked for people. I think they all seem to have some fundamental things in common that have helped them be successful I.e. Unprocessed food and high in nutrients from plants. I settled on the OMS diet in the end because of the research and the fact that the diet agrees with me. I think any of the diets could be unsuccessful if they don't include enough of the unprocessed nutrients. I juice kale, spinach, apples, lemon, beetroot celery and carrots together most days and I love how good it makes me feel! I think that came from reading the Wahls diet book. Having unprocessed food does mean more time in the kitchen but I have found it useful to freeze down some large pots of food like veggie chilli. I totally understand what you are going through! It took me a long time to finally settle on one approach I don't think it is something you can adapt to overnight. Believe me it does get easier and clearer. I also have progressive MS work full time, go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and have more energy than I can remember having for a long time. All the very best!
Only diagnosed 5 weeks ago, sticking with OMS diet, no dairy, no meat, plenty of fish, legumes, veg, fresh veg and fruits.

Yes it does take a little longer in the kitchen, but I do a fair amount of prep last thing at night, 15 - 20 minutes get a lot done, (and includes the clean up afterwards. And get a slow cooker or crockpot for cooking meals all day, so that your diner is ready when you walk through the door in the evening. Multigrain bread cooks in the evening from scratch, 2 loaves every 2 days

Moved from canned beans to dried beans, and overnight soaking.

Eating lots of homemade hummus too.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Stay away from coconut as it is hideously high in sat fat which is our enemy as is dairy.

I echo other post to get your vitD tested as you need to know the level so you know what to supplement. This is also an essential part of the program.

You will find the book will help you make sense of everything when it comes. In the meantime this will help.

https://overcomingms.org/recovery-program/

https://overcomingms.org/ms-a-to-z/faqs/
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
:roll: I'll figure it out. Thank you so much for your kind responses.

KitCat wrote: I am newly diagnosed with MS (10 days)and have surfed around and ordered books- Swanks, Wahls and Graham's have arrived but not Jelinek :cry: Swank does not cut milk and allows meat (chicken) but I'm fine with never eating beef again ...but Wahls says we should have liver 1x a week.It sounds like a good plan but I think it would not fit with the OMS approach at all. All approaches promote fish but my daughter tells me shrimp are high in cholesterol and avoiding fat seems to be the key to Swanks approach Soooo confusing. I realise Swank diet is older (my book says 79) but his approach was -I believe- an inspiration for later approaches. I don't understand why we should avoid soy sauce and legumes as well a wheat according to Wahls... Before being diagnosed I'd already cut chocolate (over a year ago) ... also I'm confused about how to stir fry...what oil should be used when stir frying? Is it so bad to use a tsp of olive oil when stir frying? Will this turn my olive oil into hydrogenated oil? How about coconut? Good or bad?
I guess I'm really eager to get Georges Jelinek' s book.Any day now.
Lovely web site.so much information. I feel so lucky to have found it. And so grateful to all who have created it.

I have told my family doctor about OMS and she is very supportive.I also feel fortunate to have progressive MS as my neurologist was very straight with me and said medications did not work with my kind of MS. Right after he said to not be discouraged and that I needn't buy a chair right away as the aforementioned chair might very well be completely out-dated by the time I would need it- if I ever needed it.He didn't mention diet nor vitamin D though.My GP prescribed it for me, so I can start tomorrow.

I have cried a lot, but now feel much more brave.
Meant to that say that shrimp/prawns are only an issue if you have a condition that affect cholesterol levels and if the rest of the diet is ok then it is unlikely to be a problem.

Cholesterol will no doubt will be part of the regular tests your doc will do so it will show up if there is a problem.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
11 posts Page 1 of 2