4 posts Page 1 of 1
I first want to say that I follow the OMS diet religiously since 1 year now and that I am very happy with it :)

So today I was browsing as usual and stumbled upon this 2009 clinical study which had several objectives and one noted as "To assess effects of the low fat study diet on clinical activity of MS as by relapse rate and disability progression and on fatigue, depression and quality of life.".

The actual trial definition can be found here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00852722

It ended in 2015 and It's from the same institution where Dr Swank was, I believe, working when he did his studies. So I believe it's a huge reference for us. The McDougall diet is similar to this OMS group diet, but there are some differences, like fish consumption (some infos here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/jan/ms.htm)

,,,so what really surprised me is that the results were positive for what regards fatigue, but turned out to be negative for what regards disease progression.

You can actually find a comment about the study results, on page 3 of this cached Google PDF:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca

"The study investigated the effects of following a diet called the McDougall Diet, which focuses on eating starches, fruits and vegetables and does not include meat, fish or dairy products. Although researchers found no significant difference in the progression of the disease itself, as shown by MRI brain scans and other testing"

Beside that, I also have read the 5 year the OMS group HOLISM study that shows great benefits for QoL; Swanks study results were also outstanding, but unfortunately relapses and MRI are not covered in these studies.

I was for sure disapointed seeing this particular clinical result; now the question that I want to ask this group today, and this is something I had in mind since a while; are there any studies at all that show an influence on the disease progression in terms of relapses and MRI activity, etc, this, for any low fat diet, being OMS, Swank, etc.?

And if somebody has an idea about why this clinical trial failed at showing a relationship between low fat diet and disease progression, please say so.

Thank you
IMO MS has got to be one of the hardest disease to do clinical trials on, in order to get recognized results, you need patients with identical presentations of the disease, so that you can separate the patients into treated and control groups, if you are going to test several diets, OMS, McDougals, HFLC etc. then you need 3 or 4 identically presenting groups of patients.

You then need to follow them long enough to see how the different diets affect long term disease progression.

Then you have to ensure that the whole thing is being done as a double blind study, so that there can be no confusion that it was a class A study. The only establishments that are willing to do such testing are generally big Pharm, and no big Pharm wants to discover that a diet can positively affect MS, as they can't patent a diet, and so can't make millions of dollars from it, just imagine the horror in the board room, when they find out you can be healthier or sicker depending on what you eat!

This section of the criteria interested me.

Criteria
Inclusion Criteria:

Clinical diagnosis of the relapsing-remitting form of MS
Age 18-70, inclusive
MS duration of less than 15 years
May or may not be on disease-modifying therapies for MS, but if on, must be on for more than 6 months of continuous therapy
Should not have diabetes
Able and willing to follow exercise instructions
Able and willing to travel to California for 10-day training program (cost covered by study)
Able and willing to travel to Portland, OR for 6 study visits over the 12 month study period (cost covered by study)
Exclusion Criteria:

No clinically significant MS exacerbation within 30 days of screening visit
No systemically administered corticosteroids within 30 days of study entry
Patient not pregnant or breastfeeding
Not taking fish oil/flax seed for at least 2 months prior to first visit
No other significant health programs (e.g. active coronary heart disease, liver disease, pulmonary disease) that might increase risk of patient experiencing adverse events

The two sections I highlighted I find interesting, in that presumably 1) they segregated identical treated patients into both groups, and 2) that they didn't want supplements, especially flax or fish Omega 3 oils to skew the results they were looking for!

I would have been more interested in what the study had to say, had it included flax or fish oil, or other supplements, but that was not part of what they had in mind with this study.

Added to that there may be a certain amount of placebo effect to be taken into consideration, either with the diet or without. I know from my own problems, that the mindfulness meditation in the OMS has probably made as much, (or more), of a change to my long term outlook, than anything else that I am doing. The mind affects the body, much more than a lot of Western medicine in general, has taken account of in the last 50 years, but the holistic approach over the last 15 years, has been making ground slowly but surely.

Don't be discouraged by one study, look at the long term results of Swank, Whal and of those on the OMS site, find the path that you want to walk down, (and walk down it), as without that choice in your mind, it is almost impossible to follow anything as a life changing alternate life style, without falling off the wagon, when the route gets a little rocky, (as it always does in life)!
Be well, live long and prosper!
http://www.usmedicine.com/clinical-topi ... ogression/

Is this the research you're referring to? The researchers themselves are actually pretty positive about the outcome and call for more and longer trials. It's only a 1-year study, most research into the effect of diet say it will take up to 3-5 years to achieve stability, so one year would be too short anyway.
Hi,
I think it shows just how important omega 3 is. But also your diet doesn't start taking full effect before a year or more.

If you look in Swank book there is grafs showing the effect and you must not forget that Swank also instructed his patients to rest for half an hour a day, never to ignore fatigue and never to get stressed. I would recommend you to read his book. If you are newly diagnosed it gives great hope. It did to me twelve years ago.

There is also a Norwegian programme where they documented an effect, where they ate a similar diet to Swanks with high consumption of fish. The article is called Effect of dietary advice and n-3 supplementation in newly diagnosed MS patients by I. Nordvik, K-M. Myhr, H. Byland, K.S. Bjerre in Act a Neurologica Scandinavia 2000, 102, 143-149 (I only have it on paper)

I hope this can help to restore your faith in the diet.

All the best,
Nina

Nina
Swanks Diet 2004, DX 2005, DMD 2005
OMS 2016
4 posts Page 1 of 1