16 posts Page 1 of 2
Auto Immune Protocol, anyone doing it? Done it? If so did it work? Love to hear feed back on this. I know this is an OMS website so the thought of another option may not go down to well but seeing as this site is a popular MS website i'd thought it would be ok to ask. And obviously this site attracts more than just pure OMS's.

Just looking to be well and exploring all options. Feedback and experiences appreciated. Google has plenty of info on it for those who don't know what it is.
I did AIP for three-four years. I quit when I had my first major (terrifying) relapse after 11 years of MS. I stopped because A) it didn't help me - my disease didn't stabilize, it worsened. At diagnosis I had 20 brain lesions. After my relapse, my MRI revealed "innumerable" inactive lesions, B) it is, in my experience, prison-like in its restrictiveness and C) it seems somehow to help less serious AI diseases like hypothyroid and psoriasis, but I have yet to hear someone report meaningful remission of MS or of any other potentially degenerative neurological condition, apart from Terry Wahls (sample size: 1). I attribute her success more to micronutrient intake than to Paleo. She restricts most of what AIP does except for nightshades and seeds. I believe she has had success IN SPITE of eating many of the revered foods of Paleo, like organ meat and the massive amounts of coconut oils and MCT's she takes to make her diet keto. Again, she is trialing her protocol, but no one as yet has experienced the miraculous results she did. I do OMS because of Swank's decades of solid research showing the efficacy of a low saturated fat diet. I believe that MS has both an immune component and a vascular component - MS adventurers have disregulated fat metabolism, along with a host of other issues, like a leaky BBB because of compromised endothelial health. Eating Paleo does not, in my direct and extensive experience, help with this. It is likely a disaster because of the high amount of saturated fat it allows. OMS acts as an answer for this disregulated fat metabolism. Check out this awesome blog: https://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... 6.html?m=0 (every post is exciting and fascinating), The gentleman experiencing MS that this blogger is married to practices Swank plus some aspects of OMS. I obviously have chosen to go OMS full-tilt and believe that this is the absolute best way to lick this disease. The points she makes though about vascular health in MS are spot on in my opinion.

For me, the AIP diet is so restrictive that there was never a time where I was not thinking about food. It made me phobic of everything I put in my mouth. Life is too short to make a fetish out of food. On OMS I find I can delight in food again - in things that aren't issues for me but that were banned by Paleo's shaky science (it is impossible to eat a hunter-gatherer type diet, with the leans meats and small fibrous fruits that characterize it in today's modern world. Grocery store meat is not like wild game. The large sweet fruits and veggies in the supermarket are nothing like their paleolithic progenitors) behind what constitutes an appropriate diet. I can set aside the worries that plagued my every waking moment when I was on a AIP. OMS has actually been as anti-inflammatory as AIP purports, for me at least. Everyone is different but I am experiencing a return to a level of health I have not experienced since I was ... Never. I have never been as healthy as I am right now.

Again, everyone is different. I have strong feelings about the Autoimmune Paleo protocol because it did not work for me and it was not for my lack of trying. When I failed to get better on it, I would think to myself I just needed to double down. I cannot tell you the joy I feel at discovering an opportunity to regain my health and leave that Paleo Community behind.

You have to choose what feels right for you and believe in it. At the end of the day, it is impossible to know how much just that alone favourably impacts our disease progression or, rather, the lack thereof
In health,
Astrid
Astrid - Midwest US. Diagnosed 2006, OMS June 2016
Hi astrid thanks for the informative post, appreciated.

I tend to agree with this "I believe that MS has both an immune component and a vascular component"

I did the auto immune protocol for 9 months, i've only just changed over to oms recently, i'll give you my thoughts on it shortly.
Paelo if like Atkins and the south beach diet, popular because you can still eat a mac Donald's. I haven't bought into it and I don't believe it is where we should be eating, it might have been what man did to survive but it doesn't mean that it is what we should eat or are designed to eat. I've read the book I personally attribute the change because by comparison to before what eating is better but really I think the EMS had a lot to do with the recovery and now should be changing diet to reduce saturated fat to maximise the recovery position.
Anyone who eats more fruit, veg and gets rid of sweets, sugar, processed convenience, white bread is going to feel better by comparison to how they had been but that doesn't mean they are actually doing as well as they could be if they still consume meat, fat and dairy.
There is mileage in doing a food diary and noting reaction as you might identify your own triggers. Ask your self what is your driver trying the best you can, finding the magic fix or to carry on eating meat. It might help you reach a decision if you understand your motivation. It is natural I think to want to find the magic fix I've been there
A milder approach is look at the elimination diet write up on drmacdougall and that doesn't include meat or dairy.
I'm not completely closed to other ideas and approaches just I naturally moved away from eating meat before really embarking on OMS and I gave up dairy 10 years ago.
According to a typical Auto Immune Protocol we should avoid all grains (not just those without gluten but also the others since all of them contain a form of lectins) and tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants (aubergines) and peperoni. They also recommend to avoid nuts, seeds and legumes (unless soaked). Yes, this is something recommended even by Terry Wahls.

To be honest, I am a little uncertain between Wahls and Jelinek. Fortunately, they do have something in common. Even acknowledging that Wahls has had outstanding insights, I am starting to think that the Jelinek approach is more evidence based, but when we have the few meat that we eat for sure is better grass-fed (Wahls), the fish is better caught (Wahls) and we have to ingest the right array of vegetables (greens, colours, sulfureus as Wahls said).

Go back to the main topic: when there is a reasonable doubt I believe that we are better off not being so extremist. I mean: I don't avoid completely grains but I try to reduce as much as possible gluten; I eat all the vegetables but I don't eat everyday eggplants and potatoes. Another example: completely avoiding legumes should not be so healthy for us. They are one of the best source of soluble fiber (that is fermented by microbioma, producing SCFAs that enhance Treg...).
fromIT wrote: According to a typical Auto Immune Protocol we should avoid all grains (not just those without gluten but also the others since all of them contain a form of lectins) and tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants (aubergines) and peperoni. They also recommend to avoid nuts, seeds and legumes (unless soaked). Yes, this is something recommended even by Terry Wahls.

To be honest, I am a little uncertain between Wahls and Jelinek. Fortunately, they do have something in common. Even acknowledging that Wahls has had outstanding insights, I am starting to think that the Jelinek approach is more evidence based, but when we have the few meat that we eat for sure is better grass-fed (Wahls), the fish is better caught (Wahls) and we have to ingest the right array of vegetables (greens, colours, sulfureus as Wahls said).

Go back to the main topic: when there is a reasonable doubt I believe that we are better off not being so extremist. I mean: I don't avoid completely grains but I try to reduce as much as possible gluten; I eat all the vegetables but I don't eat everyday eggplants and potatoes. Another example: completely avoiding legumes should not be so healthy for us. They are one of the best source of soluble fiber (that is fermented by microbioma, producing SCFAs that enhance Treg...).

Hi fromIT can i give you and anybody who tries it a tip, when doing the auto immune protocol don't listen to the experts, listen to your own body and the way it reacts to food. The whole idea of the protocol is to go back to a very basic diet then re introduce food one at a time judging any reactions as you go. We'll all be slightly different with what works and what doesn't. As an example how many of you eat blueberries? For me they cause an autoimmune response every time i eat them, for you they may be just fine. Keep a food diary and plot your own course.

I made the most progress once i worked out my immune systems reaction times to food, once i had that sorted i was a lot more confident as i was able to pin point what foods caused me trouble and what didn't.
Hi Craig, absolutely... I completely understand your recommendation, it definitely makes sense. Indeed, I have aready searched for food allergies - even if as you know sometimes they are subclinical (event gluten sensitivity is often not diagnosed because of few if any symptoms and diagnostic tests not accurate).

If you wish I would like to ask you to comment on this:

Autommunity is a Th1 overexpression, while reaction against aliments are Th2 response. The only exception, as far as I know (I'm not the holy Bible!) is gluten. Indeed, gluten has also a molecular mimicry dangerous for MS patients. So, it seems to me that the root cause of the potential of a specific aliment is not strictly related to the balance Th1/Th2, rather to the leaky gut. Another question: is it so easy for you to understand that a specific symptom is caused by that food that worsen MS symptoms or rather than a "simple" allergy or intolerance?
Are you asking me if i know the difference in my own bodies response between an immune reaction and an allergic one?
16 posts Page 1 of 2