33 posts Page 2 of 4
Some of us are just meant to be skinny I reckon. And this should put your minds at rest - I am probably lighter than anyone who has posted so far on this forum...just weighed myself at 49.5kg and I am around 165cm I think. It used to bother me greatly, but then I realised that of course I feel incredibly well, and being skinny isn't actually a disease, whereas MS is a disease. So I choose to treat the disease with diet and lifestyle, and let my body shape take care of itself.
Actually I was already quite thin before cutting out all saturated fat. I weighed in at 52kg and my diet consisted of half veggies and half chocolate and cheese. So in some ways it's a relief that I only lost another couple of kilos on the diet. Ironically I used to eat so much chocolate and cheese in an effort to gain weight!
In the early days I tried all sorts of ways to gain a bit of weight on this diet. Spirulina was one (and I still do eat it for extra protein). Just plain eating more was another. That did work, a tiny bit, but as soon as I stop over-eating I lose the weight immediately.
My GP monitors my weight, supports my diet, and is not at all concerned. Hope that helps!
Karen
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
doumbos wrote: Hi Dutchgirl,

I wonder if you are eating enough?

Cheers,

Sue

Hi Sue,
I sure think I do eat enough. E.g. my diet from Yesterday:
Breakfast: 3 slices of bread with nutspread and 'appelstroop' (sort of a applesyrup)
In between: banana
Lunch: 2 big slices of bread with cucumber/cashewnutspread (with olive oil) and a glas of fruitjuice
In between: kiwi + tangerine
Diner: a large plate of mexican bean and vegetable stew with multigrain rice and salad (with olive oil)
Evening: Soy yoghurt with honey
A slice 'ontbijtkoek' (sort of gingercake)
A large handfull of raisins a a handfull of mixed nuts.
Also 15 ml of fishoil and B12 vitamins.

Surely this seems quite a lot to me or am I wrong? I think I eat more than before (although less saturated fats) and are less active than when I was working fulltime.
What do you think? Thanks!
Hi again Dutchgirl,

I can't find any fault with your diet! Reading Karen Law's post was interesting. Perhaps you are meant to be thin? If you are still losing weight, perhaps you should give up work and spend all your time eating in order not to starve to death ..(tongue in cheek) :lol:

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
doumbos wrote: Hi again Dutchgirl,

I can't find any fault with your diet! Reading Karen Law's post was interesting. Perhaps you are meant to be thin? If you are still losing weight, perhaps you should give up work and spend all your time eating in order not to starve to death ..(tongue in cheek) :lol:

Cheers,

Sue

haha, yes maybe that should be my new job, just eating...; I lost my job because of MS and am at home because I don't feel well enough to apply for a new job.
I was always skinny/light. Untill my midtwenties or so, after that I got a little heavier. Maybe I am meant to be like that, is my natural built skinny.....
Hi Dutchgirl.

I think you should have some flax oil too, you only mention 15 ml of fish oil. We need at least 20 ml a day of omega-3, I take 40 ml flax oil.

I seem to gain a little weight in winter with a big bowl of oat porridge with soy milk and brown sugar every morning. I always hover around 58 - 60 kg, 165cm, which was my weight in my 20's. I do think everyone else out there is getting fatter and fatter which accentuates something which is actually not a problem!

My GP is also very supportive and happy with my progress, she is also very slim!

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako wrote: Hi Dutchgirl.

I think you should have some flax oil too, you only mention 15 ml of fish oil. We need at least 20 ml a day of omega-3, I take 40 ml flax oil.

I seem to gain a little weight in winter with a big bowl of oat porridge with soy milk and brown sugar every morning. I always hover around 58 - 60 kg, 165cm, which was my weight in my 20's. I do think everyone else out there is getting fatter and fatter which accentuates something which is actually not a problem!

My GP is also very supportive and happy with my progress, she is also very slim!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
I am taking 6g of fishoil (DHA and EPA together) since I am new on the diet. I was taking flaxseedoil as well (about 20 ml) but in another forum topic (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2037)
George wrote that it should be flaxseedoil that is stored in a fridge and since then I am reluctant about taking it since mine doesn't come out of the fridge. I've never liked the taste of it, and it tasted real funny sometimes (as if it had gone bad). So I am looking for a store that sells chilled flaxseedoil but so far no luck.
But since there is plenty of omega 3 in fishoil it is not that urgent/necessary, right?
Lizet
Hi Dutchgirl,

Not urgent as you are getting the minimum EPA/DHA, but something you could still improve on. George talks on this site, and also at the retreat last month, of taking up to 60ml of flax oil for optimum benefit. Have you looked at this supplier - they do ship out of the UK, and the oil is very fresh. http://www.flaxfarm.co.uk/

Flax oil can be stored unopened in the freezer.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako wrote: Hi Dutchgirl,

Not urgent as you are getting the minimum EPA/DHA, but something you could still improve on. George talks on this site, and also at the retreat last month, of taking up to 60ml of flax oil for optimum benefit. Have you looked at this supplier - they do ship out of the UK, and the oil is very fresh. http://www.flaxfarm.co.uk/

Flax oil can be stored unopened in the freezer.

Wendy

thanks wendy, I will check it out!!
I'm 5'10" which i think is 175cms ?

Anyway from the point i stopped growing @ 20 i weighed 64kgs & that was eating alot people would seriously be amazed at the amount i ate yet always 64kg not matter how much i tried to put on weight ( not for any other reason than to try & do it.. lol ) i might get a gut at night after a big big meal but by morning & on the scales BANG ON 64kgs. Even though i never really ate much junk/fast food i even tried binging it on for a few days or a week to try and get the weight, always the same outcome though. The only time i ever got over 64kgs was a few years ago when i had severe constipation over a period of a few weeks and touched 70kgs briefly.

Anyway after optic neuritis but well before my official MS diagnosis (and my OMS approach) i had perforated duodenal ulcer - very sudden, very painful & quite scary - but had emergency surgery that left me in hospital on on a IV & then liquid diet for 10 days.

I came out of hospital 55 kgs - an 9kg drop which i took as quite significant considering 64kgs @ 5'10" is in the lower range of healthy body / weight ratio - i think it is 62-74kg. Problem is exactly the same as i could never put on any weight above 64kgs has come baclk to me but at my lower weight, no matter how much i've tried i still can't lift my weight back above 55kgs. This was 12 months prior to me committing to the OMS dietry changes & while i still haven't reclaimed my weight i haven't lost any based on this diet either.

I always prioritise with filling up on greens & high nutrient fruit/veg first but still eat alot of patsa, rice, potatoes, egg whites, steel-cut oats, beans & of course fish daily - really not sure what else i can add to promote weight ?

Anyway i'd love tips for adding more weight as idealy i'd just like to reclaim my 64kg mark.

EDIT - i take alot of it as having a fast metabloism & genetic as my father was also quite skinny at 6'1"
Take a couple of slices off my backside, Tango. I won't miss 'em!

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
33 posts Page 2 of 4