22 posts Page 2 of 3
Hi Sophie,

I can only share my own experiences. I've been following the diet for about two years now and I believe it's my best line of defence against further relapses or possible disability. I've always been an all or nothing person so it was quite easy for me to start the diet and stick to it. I did have a few issues finding the right soy milk but now I've been off dairy completely for about 6months. You know yourself better than anyone. You may be someone who needs to build up to the perfect eating plan or perhaps you can go cold turkey on the things you shouldn't eat. But you'll never know unless you take the first step. The responsibility for what I eat is all my own. That may seem a little heavy at times but then I think about the fact that I'm in control of my health and well-being and I'm contributing to the strong possibility that it's my efforts that are making the difference. This is a sense of accomplishment that no-one else can give you. Not a drug or even a doctor can give you that.

As all the others have posted, congratulations for making contact with others through this forum. There's probably nothing that you or I've been through that others haven't been through as well. The more we discuss what works and what doesn't work means that we all learn from each other and we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Regards
Donna
You'll be eating less meat and no dairy so you may want to try out vegan sources of protein, like beans, lentils and tofu. Make sure you try some new fruit and veg - it's fun adding things to your diet and stops it from feeling like you're only losing things from it. Here's a delicious vegan recipe you could try: http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/vegan ... quash.html
Regarding soy milk, I too had to try a few before finding a drinkable one.

I'm in Australia and recommend Bonsoy and Vitasoy. Vitasoy is cheaper but Bonsoy is organic.

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hello so lets see if I am on the right track -

Today I got up had 10 ml of fish oil I will have another 10 ml tonight - I tolerate it well. I also had all my other supplements.

I woke up this morning very stiff - I slept for over 10 overs. It might have been too much but I felt that my body needed it.

[i]Menu Plan
Breakfast - Organic Peach with Banana cut up
Lunch - Lentil soup with carrot and onion homemade
Dinner - Atlantic salmon with steamed broccoli and garlic
Snack - 10 raw almonds

I went for a 30 minute walk , the temperature here in Adelaide is about 22 with a cool wind. I walked briskly for half an hour and by the time I returned my feet were burning hot and my knees felt like they had been submerged in cement. I went to the bath and ran them under cool water. The numbness dissipated - not gone but less. I did not bad for a 30 minute walk . I also get this popping feeling in my calves. I don't know if anyone else gets it.

Afte this I plan to do some light pilates with a mat and an elastic band to stretch me out about 30 minutes. I was in pain last night which is unusual and also in pain this morning - it seems more of an arthritic pain.

I plan to go get a blood test to check my vitamin D and also my ANA levels.

I hope I am on the right track!

Bless.

Sophie
Well done Sophie! You're off to a great start.

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Sophie,

I really found this Youtube video interesting, so might you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

Hi Sophie,

Your menu plan looks delicious but you should eat quite a bit more, else you might feel like snacking on something naughty. If you are concerned about losing weight, just stick to the diet, eat lots and the weight will come off without you trying! I lost 12 kgs and ate plenty, I still do and my weight just stays the same.

How about mixing some rolled oats and sultanas with rice milk or apple juice, then topping it with your peach and banana? How about some steamed potatoes or brown rice with your salmon? Have some healthy snacks handy eg rice or corn crackers with hummus or avocado. I'm sure everyone's got lots of ideas out there.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I agree with Wendy that you should eat more, and that you will still lose weight. I have.

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

Hi everyone, I have questions and an update.

I was naughty this morning - I had a plum for breakfast and dashed out the door as I had things to do.

Lunch I had that lentil soup again which was a big bowl.

Dinner I had huge amount of rocket a piece of fresh salmon put in a non stick pan and cut up a peach along with half a boiled small potato.

I manage to have one L of water plus a cup of tea which is a totally herbal tea.

I also manage to go for a 40 minute walk! My leg wasnt as numb either - weird thing is I did up my naltrexone dose last night to 4.5

Now to the falling down bit - I just had 3 pieces of liquorice and a few raw almonds. I feel like I have done so badly and feel terrible that I let myself down.

Also I know of Dr. Terry Whal - what I am confused about with her diet is that she allows meat? Very similar diet but does allow meat? Is anyone eating this way?
Hi Sophie,

Meat isn't a part of the OMS program. The thing that I did take to heart from Dr Wahl's video is the need to eat large amounts and great variety of vegetables.

I'm not sure about liquorice ... what sort of fat content does it have? Probably varies from one brand to another.

Almonds are okay. I have them as snacks often.

Feeling guilty is destructive. Just make sure you have enough to eat so that you don't get hungry. Keep exploring the recipe posts on the forum and the recipe section of the website ... find things that you like and start making them. You will find a routine.

Are you Greek? Do you like beans, chickpeas, etc? These are really good for sustained energy.

How about hommus, babaganoush, etc?

Try making the chocolate brownies from the recipe section .... I make them, freeze them, and then defrost in the microwave when I want a chocolate "fix".

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

22 posts Page 2 of 3