17 posts Page 1 of 2
After my weight reached it's historical low point of 66.2 Kg (I'm 192 cm tall) one week ago I started eating as much as I can. Eating till I feel really full on the main meals and always having nuts on my desk and take some dried fruits with me when I go walking. The weight seemed to be increasing.

Last night I spent 12hours in bed and this morning (well noon) I was back to 66.3 Kg, despite the tons of fish, potatoes, pasta, nuts, tofu and soy yoghurt I've been eating last week!

I saw a nutritionist the end of last week an he said that I wasn't taking enough proteins and I should take around 86g of proteins per day and advice which I tried to follow. Now I got a mail from her saying that she calculated my needs for fats. The German/Austrian/Swiss (D-A-CH) recommendations say the intake of fats should be 30% of the total energy intake. In case of malnutrition a higher amount is recommended.

Split into the various types of fatty acids this should be:

10% SAFA
10% MUFA
7%-10% PUFA

For me she computed a need of 2400 Kcal so according to her I should take at least 80g of fats per day split as follows:

SAFA: 27 g
MUFA: 27 g
PUFA: 19-27 g

27g of SAFA is in sharp contrast to what I considered the most important point of my MS diet. Yet my last week's approach of eating as much as I can of the healthy stuff doesn't seem to have the impact I was hoping for.

I am on on the diet for now around 7 weeks, maybe I should be happy that I stabilized my weight now. Maybe I should more gradually adapt to the diet requirements. Maybe I should forget about the balance, after all I'm feeling quite good, well I was feeling better before trying to eat as much as I can.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Reto
I don't think you should increase SAFA that much, but maybe increase other fats by including more of foods like avocado. More legumes to boost the protein, and more wholegrain carbs for putting on weight. But I think feeling healthy is the best thing to aim for.
More flax oil? It's the lowest in sat fat.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
For me the reality of the medical advice available in developed countries quite frankly makes us sick when followed. Government guidelines are there to support economic needs and not health needs, it is like what is the most we can get away with as saying it is OK to eat. Take the US they have even higher so called levels for fat consuption in their government guidelines, yet this just makes you even sicker.
The China Study is a good read to get a feel on what is healthy and what is convenient to eat in the west.
Protien is not needed in the high volumes often said from the bits I have read, though thankfully it is possible to achieve high levels by eating legumes rather than switching to animal meat.
Maybe just try to focus on raising your daily calorie levels by eating more veg, fruit, starches, pulses, whole grains etc. all things that are good to go on the OMS approach and kind to your general health.
I prefer to eat 3 good meals a day plus I graze. My general symptoms feel worse if I stuff myself full so I eat well throughout the day but not stuffed at any one sitting.
If I don't keep my grazing up my weight gets low.
Reto, how much fish oil and flaxseed oil are you taking?

I agree with what everyone else has said.

Professor Jelinek has said several times on this forum that this is not a low fat diet, just low saturated fat. One of the diet FAQ's also says that 20mls of Omegs 3 is the minimum needed for optimum health, and that it is a good thing to take more flax oil. I take 50mls a day, maybe more as I put it on my meals. I also use olive oil in salad dessings, hummus, cakes etc. So if you include all the fat (SAFA etc) that comes naturally in our plant based diet, my total fat intake must be up near the amount you mention.

It's a perfectly reasonable target, just not in the proportions she recommends, but you don't need to tell her that!
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Reto, the OMS protocol is a very specific nutritional plan to slow the rate of relapse and prevent progression of MS. Prof J's recommendation is to reduce saturated fat intake to as close to zero as possible. It's no good looking at what some authority somewhere recommends for 'normal' or 'average' people because this is not what you are trying to achieve. I've never felt it necessary to consult a nutritionist, because the book is pretty comprehensive, but if you are going to do that, she needs to know the parameters of the OMS diet and what you are trying to achieve and work around that for you. Why don't you print off the handy one - page guide and give it to her, and explain that sat fats must be kept to below ten grams a day no matter what. Other than that, you have got oily fish to eat, fish oil, flax seed oil, and olive oil to get additional fats from. Swank found that the more people took of these good oils, that their intake of saturated fats naturally declined.

Do you know your healthy weight range in terms of the body mass index? I'm guessing you are at the low end and that's why you're talking to a nutritionist? Carbs are good for putting on weight - on top of things like starchy vegetables, sweets and bread, a glass of red wine a night - or two or three :) can help to stabilise your weight, and if you are exercising you have an opportunity to build lean muscle mass rather than fat, which is a plus. If you are concerned about protein, would you be comfortable adding lean meat - chicken, turkey, grass fed beef, lamb, and game meats to your diet? Not strictly OMS I know, but some of us on OMS do flirt with elements of the paleo diet too.

I was 95kg before OMS. In just under three years, my weight has dropped very, very slowly to 76.4kg. When I get to 75kg I will weigh the same as when I was a young man in my twenties, and I will be pleased to stabilise there, but I will still have a ten kilogram buffer to the very lowest end of the weight range for my BMI, and I still have some fat around my middle! What the heck does it take to get a six-pack?!!!

Good luck reto, and keep us posted.
Thanks all for your suggestion. It seems that I managed to gain some weight again, back to were I was before the diet and I hope to gain even a bit more.

The main changes:
- Always have some nuts on my desk
- Never turn TV on without having foods there
- Drink juice instead of water
- Eat family packs of soy yoghurt instead of the small ones

I'm not specifically counting the sat-fats but I think that without dairy, meats and coconuts I'm on the safe side. I think that it's implausible to have a strict 15g threshold which doesn't take into account the total intake of calories and fats.

I'm still trying to find good sources for proteins, found pine nuts but they and flax seed contain quite a lot of them. So they provide an alternative to soy (which has become my main protein source). I also want to try some quinoa recipes.
Chick peas and any of the other legumes, kidney beans etc.
Quinoa I cook first then add my soup and any left over veg and that makes a lunch.
I use a calculation of 0.8 grams per bodyweight kilogram for protien calculation. There is a WHO calculation for this and then there is padding on top. I use the unpadded figure from memory.
I eat no soya products personally.
The lower the saturated sat fats the better you do on the evidence of Swank etc.
Maybe just count for a few days and then when you know what you are averaging at then you probably wont need to count regularily.
Hi,

I know what you mean about wieght loss, my BMI is down to about 18.5 and I hope I stop losing weight now!!

Anyway, what I'm replying to say is to be bit careful with the nuts and seeds - they all do have quite a bit of sat fat in them. Here's the figures per oz.(http://www.nutritiondata.self.com)

per 1 oz Saturated (grams)
Almonds (24 nuts) 1.06
Cashew nuts, dry roasted 2.60
Hazelnuts 1.27
Macadamia nuts, dry roasted 3.39
Peanuts (28 nuts) 1.90
Pecans 1.75
Pine nuts 1.39
Pistachio nuts (47 nuts) 1.56
Pumpkin seeds 1.96
Sesame Seeds 1.90
sunflower Seeds 1.20

Best wishes
Thanks Glenda and Veg!

The link works (here and now) omitting the "www": http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I guess walnuts belong to best nuts available. In general when looking at the nutrition facts and I see that the total amount of fat covers a much higher percentage of the RDA that the sat fats the I think it's ok. So actually diary, meat and coconuts is what I don't eat in restaurants when buying in shops I also avoid products with palm or too much sunflower oil. Once in a vegan restaurant I had a bit of fried potatoes, they told me its fried in rice oil - not sure how bad this is. Are oxidized fat as bad as saturated fats or even worse?

Reto
17 posts Page 1 of 2