10 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear all,

I have MS for five years now and follow the Jelinek diet consistently, with good results: no new relapse in five years. But one minor problem. Due to a good working metabolism, I'm rather skinny. I lost about 8 kilos since following the diet and now my weight is 63 kilo for a guy of 1.82 meter. Still within the permissible BMI, though on the low side. The most important effects are that I look less male, lost some power (though using dumbells every day -my sportive activity), and feel cold much quicker than in earlier days, freezing while other people placidly sip their coffee.

What is the main reason of my weight loss? The reduction in saturated fat or transfat? The reduction in sugar intake (i was a cookie monster years ago), skipping milk and cream, separating yolk from eggwhite (the one thing in my diet that breaks my heart)? And what can I do about it in a permissible way?

This is my question. I hope someone can help me with this.
Hi Aldo, welcome to the forum! Great news that you are getting good results. I know what you mean about feeling skinny, I think that is accentuated by everyone else getting heavier and heavier - the new normal!

My suggestion would be to eat lots more good stuff, bigger portions, healthy snacks between meals - these muesli bars are delicious:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2929
I find that if I have porridge for breakfast every day my weight creeps up (I'm 58kg and 165cm) ie by increasing whole grains in my diet.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Carbohydrates are the easiest way to put on weight. You can eat rice, bread and pasta. Also, how much flax oil are you taking? I take 3-4 tablespoons, which has a lot of calories.

Grab an extra meal before you go to bed:)

Nice work and good to hear you're doing well!
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thank you both for your replies. I'm sure something will help. I'll have to try and give it some time...
This may not be much comfort...but I've decided to get used to being skinny! I was always pretty thin before, when I was eating truck loads of cheese and chocolate, so I reckon I've got no chance now. Guess it's easier being female, but even so...
Karen
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
Hi Aldo. Firstly fantastic to hear you are doing so well!! It certainly strengthens my belief that things just keep getting better and better on this program.
Your weight problem was something my husband also found difficult to face when he tried following the program to support me.
Could I suggest investing money to see a Nutritionist. At first I was sceptic because I couldn't see what they could offer with such a perfect diet that the OMS program provides, but it has improved my eating syle immensely.
She has shown me how to combine foods to give optimal energy. Something I desperately needed. She also has M.S. by the way.
I think a Nutritionist would give you expert advice on how to build more muscle.
When my husband wants to build on his power and strength he eats bags of protein. He finds it improves his performance.
I don't know what country you are from ( I am from Auckland, New Zealand ) but if you are interested in the Nutrionist's conctact detalis you can always private message me:-)
Love and light
Rose x
I empathise Aldo. I'm 65kg now and 1.82m. That's down nearly 20kg from my all time maximum.
My weight goes up through winter and down in summer. I correlate that mostly with the amount of exercise that I take and food that I eat.

As usual, no doubt I'm different from other PwMS, but these days all sorts of natural body feedback doesn't seem to work for me. I don't seem to feel hunger. After a while without food, I can feel my tummy rumble, but without a sense of hunger. I have to positively reason how hungry I must be, rather than trust to instinct.
The hunger that I do feel is in the dark dank winter when sweet nibbles beckon (though I'm trying to divert that as I fear my teeth, having turned to chalk, will crumble ever even faster). I'm not a foodie (I said I was weird!), to me, food is more like diesel to fuel the car, not so much a dream experience.

I suspect that I may not be on quite the same page as many Omsarians in this. I'm still getting used to skinniness, and like you, I feel the cold a lot.

Hunches as to what may be going on, on our healthy lifestyle:
    I find exercise translates to more strength and more stamina, so it is easier to burn more calories.

More vim (when there's that rare blessing of sunlight and dryness) translates to more temptation to get out and about, with more spring in the step.

Leaching the satfat out of our bodies, shrinks us all over. Sleeker skin layers, less bulky muscle blocks, less chunky everywhere.

Vegetables often have tons of good nutrients, but can be low on calories. We'll not get fat on kale smoothies.

Most MS advice and perceptions relates to younger women who tend to have more padding (that's my hunch), we're the other end of the scale.

Portions tend to be recommended for the average PwMS, so 20ml flax oil for everyone regardless of size. (ie. the same for the average woman as us, and they have a significantly smaller non-fat body mass).

Too much brain activity! It's an organ that metabolises.

Remedies:
    Eat more of everything that is good for us.

Wear loads of clothes. Layers that are easy to pull on and off. Warmer and it helps hide a skeletal frame so there's less worried comments from others.

Realise that you're one of the elite. Like a healthy wild animal (just without fur or feathers). Lean like most of our ancestors, the heroes of millennia. Chubby isn't natural.

Morphing our minds into a dreamy relaxed state which is focused on light hearted humour, fun and happiness.

m+ve
Another thought on skinniness.
We're all very aware that our myelin damage makes nerve signals misfire or not fire properly, so producing a range of obvious symptoms, it is easy to notice tingling, cramps, cogfogs, ON, dizziness, numbness, aches, and so on. But what if other nerve chaos under the hood effects us too, internal body processes, like scrambled peristalsis and other digestion mechanisms. Mis-queued secretion of digestive enzymes, poor blood flow regulation internally, and so on. This might cause at least an inefficient digestion process, so we're not absorbing our food efficiently.
Hence despite eating till feeling full, perhaps we don't absorb all the nutrient ingested into our blood stream, but rather pass a proportion through to feed bacteria and just expel at the other end.
Just a thought.
A remedy might be to eat more. When I eat more, I can sometimes find loads more energy for everything the next day. But it means eating till feeling stuffed.
Aldo, how about trying to start each day with double big helpings of porridge. I'm going to try this myself.
And Aldo, do you take much exercise?
Thank you again for all comments. Many will certainly turn out to be very helpful. One thing is clear: I tend to stick to the diet. Some people around me find that persistence hard to understand, but hey, they have no MS (neither did they read Jelinek's book that convinced me with loads of evidence and straight reasoning). So whatever 'solution' I come up with, it will have to be within the diet (except for the occasional egg yellow - it seems to contain enough to produce a chicken, so it cannot be that bad, or so I comfort myself).

By the way, I'm from Belgium. And yes I started to do some muscle training. I hope it will somehow help me gain some weight. And it definitely makes me look less like a baby...
Re keeping to the plan.
My mantra is 'nothing tastes as good as walking does' and it helped me out when others have tried to get me to eat what they were having.
10 posts Page 1 of 1