9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all, hope you are all well! Does any of you know how I can keep weight on? I am concentrating on the diet veru much, I allow myself 50g of fat a day ( flaxseed, nuts etc) but I am worried that because I am active I will lose no end of weight which I can't really afford to do! I eat Pasta and rice ( lots!!) and I also eat some nuts. Do I scale down my running or is there anything else I can do to stop weight falling off! don't get me wrong I am not anorexic but I do not want to end up in that camp!

Take Care all,
Phil X
http://www.justgiving.com/phil-king5. OMS 2012
"Don't Cry - Laugh" - Roy Castle ( TV Personality and Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation)
"If you are bored you must be a boring person!" Ina Sansom (My Gran)
Hi,

I could also do with any hints and tips! I have been following the diet for 6 months now and have lost 8lbs. I was concerned about by nutritional and calorie intake so had an appointment with a dietician. She analysed my food intake over a week and the calorie intake was exactly what it should be and recommended I ate more protein and made sure I got enough calcium. I have been keeping to less than 10g saturated fat a day (hopefully) but am not being concerned about other fats. I have had to increase my portion sizes a lot as 3 years previous I reduced portion sizes and successfully lost weight (2 stone) before my MS diagnosis and starting the OMS diet. I'm not doing much exercise as I've been suffering with fatigue a lot and my left leg is not working well since last Feb (last relapse). I'm increasing exercise steadily and fatigue is improving but it is limiting and I can only walk about 300m on a good day before fatigue starts affecting my legs. When I'm tired then balance and gait is shocking. Been swimming and yoga amongst other things.
I'm also at the don't want to lose any more weight stage. I can now fit back in to my wedding outfit and weigh the same as I did as a full time dance student (but less muscle bulk). I'm 40 now and would like to tone up so need to keep on with the proteins!
Please let me know if any one has any handy tips!
Thanks
Rachel
Hello!
I think I can help you here. I do a very physical job which burns a huge amount of calories. I manage to keep my weight stable and I have good body mass where I need it (biceps / shoulders / thighs) and no flabby bits. I eat loads of bulk - slow burn carbs. Today I had a huge bowl of porridge (And I mean HUGE) for breakfast and I have just eaten a mid morning snack of a wholemeal baguette - warm and dunked in flax oil. All my meals have a wholefood carb portion, be it bread, pasta, potato or rice. All my portions are enormous. I also eat loads of fruit and veg to keep healthy (esp bananas) but I know that I will never be one of the people who can survive more from veg than from carbs - I would be too thin if I tried it. I don't worry too much about protein. I eat fish only once a week because I don't like it much, but I do eat quite a bit of tofu / soy stuff / beans etc.
I hope this helps. I enjoy my diet and generally am a bit of a pig.
Cinders x
PS my husband also bakes a lot of fat free cakes if I let him - and then I actually start to put weight on. He is only allowed to bake when I dip well below nine stone, which is skinny for me!
oh Cinders you shall go to the ball!! Marvellous! I eat loads of carbs but I shall eat lots more. Interestingly I have a breadmaker so I will start using that!

Many Thanks and Take Care
Phil XX
"Don't Cry - Laugh" - Roy Castle ( TV Personality and Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation)
PS I am also a pig as well!! I do like to trough!

Phil X
Plenty of protein in oats! I love porridge too, also Bircher muesli in summer - soak oats in water or juice overnight in the fridge. In the morning stir in some grated apple, top with nuts, berries, soy yoghurt -whatever you fancy.

Must read article from the Medical Journal of Australia - no need to worry about getting enough protein, iron, zinc etc.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... mon+myths/
Interesting thread here on protein, dieticians, food myths etc.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2641
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Rachel, if you can find a class near you I strongly recommend pilates. Plenty of floor exercises you can try when tired, and it's fantastic for balance. When I did a class a few years ago (only 45 mins once per week) I noticed improved balance after the first few weeks, and that made walking and just moving around in general loads easier.
Well, this morning I had a massive bowl of porridge - in fact it was a vat!! I also have just had a massive load of pasta with sardines!!
Cinders, you will be proud love!

Take Care
Phil X
Catriona: I'm a great supporter of pilates, unfortunately the class I was attending disbanded. Would love to do more though. Yes, I do try eating larger quantities, Christmas was good for adding a bit!
9 posts Page 1 of 1