11 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I have recently seen a dietician as I am continuing to lose weight and am now underweight. The dietician recommended using Quorn products and a Protein supplement.
When I Googled Quorn, I found that it had eggs, milk products and also palm oil in some of the products. This makes me think it is not what I should be eating , in spite of the very small amount of saturated fat listed on the packaging. Also the protein supplement she recommended - Proform - is a milk product, having full cream milk and skim milk in it, also saying that it is very low in saturated fat. The dietician told me that the fat component had been removed from Proform, but I am still concerned about using this.
Does anyone know if these things are safe for us/me to have?
CherylBl
Definitely not. Nothing with dairy in it will help you.

Can you up your portion sizes or eat 5-6 nutrient dense meals per day?

Try adding starchy things like legumes and chickpea dips.

Nuts, avocado are good too but watch the sat. fat levels.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Why not read up on jeff novick's face book page plenty vegan recipes to bump what you read and many good articles about we are not protein deficient eating a none western meat centric plate.
Personally most dieticians promote the very foods that make people sick as it is more western food.
Eat more of what you can eat and don't go hungry as the food is less calorie dense you need to eat more to obtain enough calories to support the activity you do.
After a while habits change and it becomes easy and what you do.
Hi,

I was a vegetarian pretty much all of my life and lived on vegi products like quorn and many others. The majority are now not suitable for us to eat, however the plain quorn fillets only contain egg whites and no dairy, the same for the plain quorn mince. I mainly stick to whole foods but once or twice a week I may have some of this type of quorn, although not a whole food there is nothing that is not oms friendly.

I would definitely not be having the protein supplements as dairy is totally out of bounds!

My sister in law is a dietician and, to be honest, hasn't really got a clue - she only knows what she had been taught by the nhs. When I told her about my diet she asked where I would get my calcium, enough said!
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Hi Cheryl,
If I want to put weight on I eat more wholegrain bread and wholemeal pasta - they soon pile on the pounds and are perfectly okay OMS wise. I usually have the pasta with a tomato and veg sauce, splurged with flax oil and a good sprinkling of nutritional yeast. That should sort you out pretty quick!!!
Cinders x
P.S. I also have plain quorn from time to time.
I agree with Denise 83. Be very careful about who you get nutritional advice from. Some dietitians can be very conservative, and unless your weight is below the BMI guidelines try not to worry too much. Remember we in western society weigh too much and we are getting sicker for it. Tofu and nuts and seeds will increase your weight, but be careful of sat fat.
Hi Cheryl,

What does a typical day's food look like for you? Are you operating on a calorie deficit?

I struggled initially, and lost a lot of weight (though seem to have stabilised recently) as I've never had a huge appetite so physically eating enough calories on this diet whilst also being mindful of including enough fruit and vegetables left me feeling as though I was eating constantly. I agree that pasta is a great way to boost calories quickly as are all rice's and grains, baked potatoes, with beans are quite good as are legumes and nut butters, homemade pizza as well as oily fish. I use deliciously Ella (http://deliciouslyella.co.uk/), oh she glows (http://ohsheglows.com/), fat free vegan (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/) and straight up food (http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/) for inspiration and ideas though some/many of the recipes have to be adapted. Also it's quite good to remember that this is a low saturated fat diet not a low fat diet.

Best of luck with the weight gain/stabilisation.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have had a very poor appetite recently, MS related, and have trouble eating enough. I also have trouble preparing meals as standing for very long or without being able to hang on to something is difficult. I find cutting food up is difficult when sitting. Carrying hot/heavy things from oven or stove is also difficult. I often have to wait for someone to come home so that they can help me. I will try to incorporate some of your suggestions and see how I go.
If you have a freezer could buy those bags of ready prepared veg to help with food preparation. This could be vegetables and potatoes.
Can buy in America cooked frozen brown rice.
Eat simply, meals that have less fussy preparation.
Hi Cheryl,

I have the same problems with standing, carrying things and doing a lot of chopping. I try to keep things simple - for instance fish baked in foil with jacket potato and a portion of frozen veg coooked in the microwave, or baked beans on toast. I've also discovered a falafel mix very low in sat fat which just needs water added to it before cooking. A purist might say this is way too processed, but I feel if I just eat it occasionally, the relief from the stress of making "real" falafel is more healing than the effort of making it from scratch. If I do anything more complicated I make a large amount and freeze portions of it for another time.
For breakfast I often have oats with soy milk with raisins and banana, sweetened with a little brown sugar. I add my flaxseed oil to this, too. Eat a large portion of this to keep your weight on.
As Veg says, buy frozen chopped vegetables (I even sometimes use frozen chopped onions) and consider getting a kitchen machine that also chops fruit and veg. Eat Nakd bars sometimes as a sweet treat which only requires you to open the paper (I usually need scissors for this!)
Hope this gives you some more ideas!

Mars
11 posts Page 1 of 2