9 posts Page 1 of 1
At the beginning of November, I had just dipped below 265 lbs for the first time in 30 years, today I'm down to 235.5 lbs not quite 30 lbs in 15 weeks or about 2 lb a week.

I'm aiming for 175 - 180 lb, and I should be down to that sort of weight in another 27 weeks, (at 2 lb / week), I stand just over 6' and that would put my BMI in the 23 - 24 range.

My wife pointed out today, that at some point, "I need to get worried about my BMI and weight loss", her words. So should I expect to continue to loose by following the OMS diet, and at what point should I look at stabilizing calorie intake vs calorie expenditure, the last time I was 235.5 I was 17, quite a few years ago.

Am I likely to plateau out before I get down to 180 ish in the middle of August, or will I likely smooth down to that weight?

BTW... I have toes! I actually saw them on the ends of my feet while stood up the other day, I had forgotten they were there, other than when I am sat down!
Be well, live long and prosper!
Hi Farrier,
you make me laugh! I enjoy reading your posts
The answer to your question is a tricky one, as the plateau period is so individual and varies from person to person.
From my experience, looking back, it was around 6 months before I stabilized and soon discovered what amount of foods to eat to remain at that weight. I think building muscle as you go is important so that you don't become thin and weak as that can hinder the ability to exercise. I have met a lot of people that have fallen in to this trap.
I am female and I think you would benefit from a few men weighing in on the subject. (excuse the pun).
Good luck!
Rose x
As long as you eat plenty of food I think you will find your body will settle at its natural happy place.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Agree with that ^
Don't worry about being fixated on BMI, eat and exercise your body will sort itself out, your table tennis is great exercise.
I've lost 50lbs. I was 267 to begin with, and I'm 6'6" tall. I asked my wife the same question you posted here, and she reminded me I still have love handles. God bless her. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are excercising and staying strong.

Mars
Thanks Rose, I try and pose my serious questions along with a touch of humor, or some serious humor with a touch of a question, better to have people enjoy what I post, read and respond, than have folks roll their eyes and mentally say, "oh no, it's him again"!

I'm eating well and often, more often than the old diet, and I feel satisfied by my food choices, and the amount of exercise I'm getting, we've had up to a foot of snow in the valley, I've been out walking and fishing, though the thought of having to crawl back to the car, to get home, does put a frisson of extra fear in mind, I still do go and take those precautions I can, the table tennis is a real aid, not just with balance, but with core strength too, we are playing 12 - 15 games every 2 or 3 days.

The BMI reference was because at 17 I was looking at going into the services, and they wanted me down below 175 lbs and with a BMI of 20 - 21, I was musclebound in those days, and although I tried hard for nearly a year, I couldn't make it under 200 lbs without feeling I was literally starving myself, I would mostly bounce up and down between 220 and 235 lbs depending on how hard I was trying to loose at the time.

I expect to do more walking as the weather turns, and I'll be out fishing more...BTW I went out yesterday, my best local winter fishing hole was totally iced over and the temperature was 18° F,(-8°C), going to have to wait until Thursday or Friday before it's likely to open up enough to fish again.

MarsDennis my wife said this diet makes my ass more attractive, I'm not sure if I should ever ask her, "if this diet makes my ass look big in these pants"?...I may not get the answer I'm looking for! :o
Be well, live long and prosper!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With what you know now I bet you can look back and see why the young you was fighting a mountain in trying to lose the last weight and being hungry.
Yes best embrace the positives of those bits you can now see, it can only get better :-)
i dropped from 134 lbs to 120 lbs in 6 months, at which point I got rather worried, even though my BMI was still in the normal range. Now my weight varies between 121 to 125 lbs, which I feel is ok.
9 posts Page 1 of 1