8 posts Page 1 of 1
Maybe I was too thin before I started the OMS diet but I've put on a few kilos since I began. I used to fast intermittently and lost a lot of weight after having babies. I liked feeling thin for the first time in my life!

Could I be doing something wrong?

I feel like I eat really well. I exercise at least 3 times per week. Not sure what I could change. And I am not sure if I want to fast again. I feel like I need to nourish my brain.

Thoughts?
Diagnosed August 2015
OMS November 2015
OMS Retreat May 2016
I think a food diary might help, could record one for a week.
As it is a low saturated fat approach to eating and in general food we eat is less calorie dense generally one would have to eat a lot of the denser foods to put on weight. Is it muscle or bits that are not fitting in your clothes?
Unless it was heaps I would not be concerned.
I know that at some point, I'm probably going to find myself in a position to need to stabilize my weight loss, so I've been thinking a fair bit about the weight gain / no weight loss question.

I used to eat energy dense meals twice a day, breakfast and diner with the occasional energy dense lunch thrown in, I'm now eating 4 or 5 times a day and I'm still loosing weight, while I'll freely admit I'm improving my diet and getting higher energy foods on a daily basis, I've thought about the methods I'll use to balance my life.

I can easily see eating on a regular 5 - 6 times a day diet, starting around 6:30 in the morning with smoothies, then on about a 3 hour schedule until around 6:30 - 7:00 in the evening with diner, or a final snack around 10:00, I know I could continue on a 3 meal a day diet, but food is comfort, the preparation, the thought process, the cooking, the eating, the celebrating of life and energy, the quiet postprandial contentment, the contemplation and calculation of the next meals ingredient list / pantry list, it has a calming influence and time control factor!

If you are gaining weight, is it increasing muscle or higher BMI?

I am trying to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, and when I fish or hunt I can be out 4 or 5 hours, I've noticed that the weakness on my LHS has ameliorated somewhat, but part of why I exercise as much as I do, is to rebuild the muscle and strength on that side. I didn't pay attention to my body, and that's why I'm as far into the physical degeneration as I am.

So if you are gaining weight, how do you feel about it? Would the medical world consider your weight on the low, medium or high side of BMI, if your BMI is low, then you may have other issues with body identity problems, this could also be true if your BMI is on the high side, there is some middle ground where one will be in the median BMI range, and the gain or loss of a couple of pounds will not make much of a difference one way or the other.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Thanks for your thoughts. I checked my bmi and it's 20. On the lower end of normal for my height and age.

But yes I do feel like I've gained both muscle and fat. I started on Aubagio when I was first diagnosed and my weight went down to the lowest I've ever been due to stomach upset. I don't think I was absorbing all the goodness from my food.

Good idea about the food diary Veg. It may be a good way to find out just how many calories in consuming. Although it's all good food, I guess is all calories.

And it doesn't help that figs are prolific here at the moment. I think I've consumed my body weight in figs over the last few weeks. :shock:
Diagnosed August 2015
OMS November 2015
OMS Retreat May 2016
When I eat figs, life tends to run away from me! :o
Be well, live long and prosper!
I love figs, yummmy I could easy eat 3 a day
I started the OMS diet five years ago and after loosing 10kg during the course of the first few months, my weight became remarkably stable for the following four years - I could eat pretty much as much as I wanted without effecting my weight, that was great considering that I have always put on weight easily in the past (from eating too many desserts!) Then about a year ago I started putting on weight, slowly but surely, and I am now up 6kg already, moving nicely into the BMI "overweight" range.

I have accumulated a lot of weight around the waist area and it's not muscle weight! I have tried to eat less but that has virtually no effect. My diet hasn't noticibly changed although I am eating more vegetable stews that I used to a year ago, and I moved away from juicing to blending veggies for breakfast. I am thinking that perhaps, following a period of stress when I did eat for emotional comfort, my liver has gotten congested somehow and cannot eliminate properly anymore.

Has anyone experienced something similar or has any suggestions for things that I need to consider looking into to reverse the process?

Thank you.
Stephan --- OMG: April 2011, OMS: Sept 2011, Retreat: Oct 2012 8-)
I wouldn't place too much emphasis on BMI.

I'm 6ft, 68kg male.
I have a BMI of 21.
Yet I think I'm underweight, I've always been 75kg-80kg.
However when I cut out meat and dairy, I dropped 5kgs in a few weeks, all my pants no longer fit!
I have to remind myself that I'm an ectomorph, I think I'm supposed to be this weight, but like you LadyBug41 I feel thin!

Trying to put weight on is something I struggle with, but I guess we all different in many ways.
I found a wardrobe change made me feel much better, once all my clothes fitted well, it no longer bothered me "as much".

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on some ideas around calorie rich healthy ideas!

Hope everyone is well!
8 posts Page 1 of 1