8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I rarely add salt to anything, however; when I do, it's sea salt.
My niece gave me some Himalayan pink salt, and I love it sprinkled on some dishes.
The nutritionist at my local 'natures source' store, who knows I have PPMS, has recommended it to me.
Is it acceptable on the OMS plan?
Also, is balsamic vinegar okay?
Thanks!
Marilyn
In moderation.
But I believe salt is inflammatory.
I have balsamic vinegar sometimes but again occasionally.
I'm going on what I can gather from the OMS rules.
X
What's the issue with balsamic vinegar?

I read an article that high salt diets can exacerbate MS symptoms and make things worse in the long run. I try to cut out most salt but I'm not sure what "low salt" means. At the OMS retreat I went to this year they said that salt had implications for MS but sugar hasn't (but is obviously bad for your health if you have too much of it).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26447064
Diagnosed August 2015
OMS November 2015
OMS Retreat May 2016
The reason salt is inflammatory and why you might think it is bad for MS is simply because most of the salts that most people consume are basically "junk" salt. This is also very true of many of the sea salts that are on the market. Chemically these salts are sort of equivalent to what is used to make PVC plastic. This plastic is great for an underground irrigation system or a sewer pipe but not so good for your body. These salts are basically over processed and scrubbed of the many micronutrients that are necessary for the body to properly process. The problem is that when salt is studied from a dietary perspective, a distinction isn't made between good, healthy salts and over processed junk salts, which unfortunately most salts are.

True Himalayan or what is called "dirty" salt is loaded with micronutrients, which all combine to feed the body in an entirely different way, as nature has intended. This is why foods that come from the sea such as seaweed, sea vegetables, etc. are so healthy, becoming more important, and are being studied much more often. Comparing this kind of salt to the junk salts would be like comparing the nutritional value of farm raised fish that are fed junk food grain to that of natural fish that feed in the ocean.

There is quite a bit of good science out there about the benefits of real salt if you take the time to research it. It's really important to change the conversation and look at the chemical makeup of our foods and understand that there are night and day differences nutritionally between how foods are sourced and processed. That makes all the difference in the world.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Keithjwaz, you're correct as I've read similar statements about salt. In buying sea salt, you have to be so careful, as it's usually a mix, if you don't read the fine print. I only use pure sea salt, and sparingly at that.

My niece bought me some Himalayan pink salt from Salt Works, and I love it. I also use it sparingly. The also have some wonderful gourmet salts...all pure.

Thanks,
Marilyn
But isn't all table salts 99.9% sodium chloride? So this still renders it harmful to those of us with MS?
Diagnosed August 2015
OMS November 2015
OMS Retreat May 2016
Salt is actually needed for good health (do a google seasrch) I beleive it's too much salt that is bad for us.
Himalayan pink salt is great that's what i used when i had a goiter, it called a dirty salt because it was mined and has impurities because its not processed but its safe for moderate intake
8 posts Page 1 of 1