6 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been advised to take soya lecithin because it 'helps with the production of myelin'. Is this true? I'd appreciate George's input on this. Also, is your diet not likely to be low in Calcium if we are all avoiding dairy products? Should we be taking a calcium supplement? Apparently, if you have a lot of relapses which are treated with steroids, you are more at risk of osteoperosis and this would be exacerbated by having low cacium levels.
The answer to the calcium question is in the FAQs.
Sunny, Thanks for pointing this out. So, by increasing my intake of Vitamin D (currently 1000 IU) this should naturally increase the uptake of calcium in my diet....I think I will ask my GP to check my blood levels of Vit D, calcium and Vit B12, since I have been on this diet for nearly 4 months now! By the way, has no-one got anything to say about lecithin? Not even George?!
I too am interested in this topic. Lecithin is an emulsifier and I am keen to know if emulsifiers are out for MS sufferers.
Hello Julie You will find no reference to Soy Lecithin on the website because there is no evidence to suggest that it is helpful in MS.
I have been looking into soya lecithin and apparently it consists of three types of phospholipids; phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylethanolamine and phosphatidylinositol. It is a very good source choline, which is needed for the cell membranes of every cell in the body. It is also needed for cholinergic neurotransmission,transmembrane signalling and lipid-cholesterol transport. Without choline, cell membranes would be too inflexible - this would stop important nutrients from being transported into or out of cells. Scientists think that lecithin and choline may help in memory and cognitive function. Anyway, my little bit of research has led me to believe that it may be worth taking a supplement once in a while!
6 posts Page 1 of 1