5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
What are people's views or experience with drinking Kombucha?
From what I've read, it can be dangerous if done incorrectly.
It activates the immune system ( I'm on LDN so maybe that's enough activation) and some says it's really good for you, although the sugar content of the made up drink makes me question that.

My friendly Sushi shop lady gave me a 'mother' to make the tea after learning I was on a 'special diet'.
I drink it every day (and I take LDN). It is a strong and very cheap probiotic and contains enzymes as well - I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that it activates the immune system. It does contain caffeine though, so I wouldn't go crazy, and a small amount of alcohol is produced in the fermentation process. The scoby eats some of the sugar, so the content decreases over time. You shouldn't drink it before it has been brewing for 8 days. You should also start with about one eighth of a glass and build up slowly or you can get a bit nauseous or some headaches (but this does not happen to everybody.) I also take water kefir and make my own sauerkraut. I would rather do this than pay for wildly expensive and far less potent probiotics from the chemist.

It is not dangerous at all. You just have to keep it in glass, not plastic, clay or crystal so that it doesn't get contaminated with lead or glaze residue. If the scoby gets green or black mould on it, you chuck it out and don't drink the tea, same goes if it smells funny. but neither of these things has happened to me at all and I have been going for over a year.
If you want to make your kombucha caffeine free you can also use herbs. I make mine with all sorts of herbs. Just make sure they don't have natural antibiotic or antifungal properties! Or you can use Yerba Mate, as it is stimulant but doesn't have the side effects of caffeine.
The Rainbow Whizz wrote: If you want to make your kombucha caffeine free you can also use herbs. I make mine with all sorts of herbs. Just make sure they don't have natural antibiotic or antifungal properties! Or you can use Yerba Mate, as it is stimulant but doesn't have the side effects of caffeine.

Thanks, helpful info. X
This is a late post, but I wanted to add a link to this mouse study that appears to support kombucha tea - or at least further study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10. ... ccess=true
"Kombucha tea ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mouse model of multiple sclerosis
Fatemeh Marzbana,†, Gholamreza Azizib,c,†, Sanaz Afraeid, Reza Sedaghate, Mir Hadi Seyedzadeha, Alireza Razavia* and Abbas Mirshafieya*"
"We induced EAE model in 18 female C57BL/6 mice by inoculation of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein-35-55 (MOG35-55) in complete Freund’s adjuvant emulsion. Then, in order to ameliorate EAE symptoms, we used kombucha tea. During the course of study clinical evaluation was assessed, and on the day 21 post-immunization, for evaluation of nitric oxide (NO), total antioxidants capacity and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), blood samples were taken from the heart of mice. The mice were sacrificed and brains and cerebellums of mice were removed for histological analysis. Our findings demonstrated that kombucha tea had beneficial effects on EAE by lower incidence, attenuation in the severity, and also a delay in the onset of disease. Histological analysis showed that inflammatory criteria including the number of infiltrated immune cells and plaques as well as demyelination in kombucha tea dosed mice were significantly lower than the control group. Also, in comparison with control mice, the serum levels of NO and TNF-α in kombucha tea- treated mice were significantly decreased. Kombucha tea with its potential therapeutic effects and immunomodulatory properties might be proposed, after additional necessary tests and trials, for treatment of MS."
5 posts Page 1 of 1