7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I started the Overcoming MS programme in 2012 and didn't eat meat or dairy until late 2015. I have since modified my diet and lifestyle which follows aspects of the OMS but I don't eat gluten and I have lactose free milk and I do eat meat occasionally. I also followed the Terry Wahls programme for a bit and she advocates eating lean and organic grass fed meat occasionally.

I was diagnosed with highly active RRMS in 2010 and have been on tysabri and recently had round 2 of Lemtrada. My MS is well under control now which I think is due to a mix of lifestyle and DMDs.

Unfortunately, I had a mountain biking accident and broke a bone and was subsequently diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am in my early 30s so this was quite a shock. I have recently been contemplating giving up lactose free milk and meat again to have the most anti-inflammatory diet possible but I am worried about not getting enough easily absorbable calcium.

Does anyone have any advice/experience of this?

If you haven't already then have a read of The China Study it is an interesting book. Bone loss is a western disease. There's a read on Drmcdougal.com on osteoporosis.
You may also have a look at Michael Greger’s website nutritionfacts.org where the video “Is milk good for your bones?” (URL: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-mil ... our-bones/ ) deals with the question whether dairy reduces osteoporosis. It seems that the opposite may be the case — inspite of all the things that we have been told for decades.
If you look straight at it, cows eat grass, calves have cow breast milk then wean onto grass and water. Dairy industry has a lot to answer for it is a money milking machine.
The western diet is sick in balance, meat, dairy, processed, poor exercise.
Hi Emflo,
the best way to tackle your osteoporosis is to ensure your vitamin D level is high enough. Vitamin D helps your body to absorb calcium. You could also supplement with vitamin K which helps the body to use the calcium in the right way. If you eat lots of curly greens, you should have enough K in your system. The same greens will be giving you sufficient absorbable calcium without a requirement for meat or dairy.
Keep us informed of your progress,
Cinders x.
Cinderella wrote: Hi Emflo,
the best way to tackle your osteoporosis is to ensure your vitamin D level is high enough. Vitamin D helps your body to absorb calcium. You could also supplement with vitamin K which helps the body to use the calcium in the right way. If you eat lots of curly greens, you should have enough K in your system. The same greens will be giving you sufficient absorbable calcium without a requirement for meat or dairy.
Keep us informed of your progress,
Cinders x.

I was going to write exactly this. I would get your vitamin D levels checked straight away.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
7 posts Page 1 of 1