10 posts Page 1 of 1
What do you do with OMS diet when you are travelling? For me it is very hard to find corresponding food when in airports, hotels, etc. Any idea?
If your hotel is booked in advance then you could ring in advance to find out what could be done.
Flying, book the vegan on plane meal.
Is this for short trips or holidays?
I travel a fair bit and have found it OK with some forward planning. Here's what I do:

1. Make up some vegan pasties and take in my hand luggage.
2. Buy a take away meal at the airport from a restaurant that I trust. This resolves plane food and you get a nicer meal than anyone else on the plane. This only works if you are eating soon after takeoff.
3. Get the app HappyCow to find vegan restaurants.
4. Use TripAdvisor to find fish restaurants or pizza restaurants (get veggie pizza with no cheese)
5. Use Google translate to translate the key OMS rules and print this on a credit card sized card to give to waiters.

So far I've managed to find food everywhere I go and only had serious problems in very small airports.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
veg wrote: Is this for short trips or holidays?

Both
Diggity wrote: I travel a fair bit and have found it OK with some forward planning. Here's what I do:

1. Make up some vegan pasties and take in my hand luggage.
2. Buy a take away meal at the airport from a restaurant that I trust. This resolves plane food and you get a nicer meal than anyone else on the plane. This only works if you are eating soon after takeoff.
3. Get the app HappyCow to find vegan restaurants.
4. Use TripAdvisor to find fish restaurants or pizza restaurants (get veggie pizza with no cheese)
5. Use Google translate to translate the key OMS rules and print this on a credit card sized card to give to waiters.

So far I've managed to find food everywhere I go and only had serious problems in very small airports.

Thanks, this is really useful !
I don't trust eating restaurant pizza, they normally add low grade oils to the pizza dough which are not OMS compliant. Unless it's Sushi without dairy, or a prearranged meal, I take some cans of tuna in water, with Pita bread and salad for a "make shift" meal.
I have found many restaurant meals contain low grade oil so always ask for all of the ingredients used. Often waiters don't know or even bother to tell you about the oils added unless you make a point of asking. I have, on many occasion, asked the waiter to check with the chef and they have come back saying that "the chef said that there is a little bit of oil added, but not much!", so be very weary, it's just not worth risking your remission.
Also, if you type "eating when on holiday" in the search engine you will find many results.
Good luck, but to me when travelling it's all about "living to eat SAFELY ".
Rose
Rose wrote: I have found many restaurant meals contain low grade oil so always ask for all of the ingredients used.

Exactly that's what I fear most when eating outside: low grade oils.

For me the OMS diet it's not difficult, but it is hard to find OMS compliant food when you do not prepare it.
I've found that as long as you have a card translated to the local language, restaurants will admit to what's in the ingredients. They don't want an anaphylactic shock on the premises.

I would add that you should avoid any "fast food" outlets as they don't tend to prepare the food to order and the "chefs" have no idea what the ingredients are.

Also, be careful about "vegetarian/vegan" claims. Lots of countries don't count beef stock or even chicken as meat.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
I agree Xeon, it's the low grade oil that often goes under the radar with meal prep.
I have been caught out even in a Sushi restaurant when I asked about the smoking process of their smoked salmon that they offered on the menu. It sounded safe, they dry smoked with some herbs, I thought that would be fine. Then I happen to go past the kitchen on the way to the loo, and noticed they were finishing off the smoking process with searing it on the grill!, I noticed oil being added. They didn't even bother to mention this to me. When I asked about it they replied "Oh yes yes we cook it just for a moment to heat it up before serving". They genuinely didn't see that as a problem.
So now I only eat raw salmon at sushi restaurants.
Rose
Thanks everyone for help!
10 posts Page 1 of 1