17 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to get started on the diet, but I'm a little confused about the recommendations. I know that the goal is to keep saturated fat intake under 10 grams daily, but some of the approved foods (fruits, nuts, and fish) have saturated fats too. Are these saturated fats the same as those found in red meat? Should we limit or intake of these approved foods as well?

For example:

Avocados: 3.1 g of saturated fat per 1 cup
Walnuts: 4.9 g of saturated fat per cup
Salmon: 6 g of saturated fat per .5 fillet

Thanks for your help :)
Hello. There is good info in the book about not counting fats but how to eat them. I think the 10g target originated from Swank's data, which referred to counting fats in lean poultry and eggs, that we do not include in OMS. in my understanding, he counted these as "saturated fat" sources, meaning predominantly saturated fat in them. This 10g did not include fats naturally found in fruit, low fat vegetables and wholegrains. Swank did limit total fat intake however, which included fish oil/ supplements, counting fat in oily fish, oily veg (avocado, olives) seeds and nuts. These good fats were recommended at minimum 20mls (20g) per day, maximum 50g (I think).
If you are using flax oil, you may need to consider that your major fat source, as people are taking say 20 up to 40 mls per day.

Eating 1 cup of any nuts in one day is way too much. A modest 30g serve of nuts (eg. 8 - 10 whole nuts as a guide) or a tablespoon of peanut butter would be enough for the day for me (I must admit I have had to cut back as at first I was eating loads more), because I eat other good fats over the day as well. Think about seeds as well, they are great to sprinkle on your salad for crunch & variety.
I would suggest 1/4 of an avocado with your meal is "moderate"(about 7g total fat, of which is mostly unsaturated)

Fish ..... I stick to one tin of sardines as a serve (about 115 - 120g tin) OR 125g salmon fillet (I am buying frozen at the moment- 8 portions in a 1kg bag).

A little extra virgin olive oil too ..... It adds up quick enough.
Personally, I don't count the 10g as I avoid meat, nuts, cocoa butter, palm oil and dairy. But I try not to go overboard with fat intake. Ï think about it as the aim is to minimise other fats so my body has no other choice but to use the omega 3's (and other essential fatty acids) !!
good luck
Thanks for the feedback and resources. You have cleared my confusion with developing my diet plan. :D
I'm completely confused. I've just read the book again and I interpreted it as saying we need as much omega 3 as we can get as it fights inflammation whereas omega 6 promotes inflammation. But when I've read through the links posted above its saying we should eat 2-4 times as much omega 6 as omega 3???
I'm confused on the sat fat as well. I've just revised my diet and now the only fat I eat comes from 2 Brazil nuts-1.5g sat fat , 5 almonds- 0.3g sat fat,the minimal amount in rice milk and 4 dessert spoonfuls of flaxseed oil- approx 4g sat fat., I can sardines in spring water as recommended in the book-3.4g sat fat. So this brings my daily sat fat intake to just under 10g per day. But if I add fresh salmon my intake is too much. Plus I don't use oil in cooking. I boil or steam veges and dry fry fish. Very frustrating when I'm trying so hard to get this diet right and there's so much conflicting information between the book,the site and the forum. :(
Hope this thread is still 'active'....

Kylie, i couldn't agree more with you. While I am eternally grateful for the OMS book and site I am overwhelmed by both the complexity and the contradictions across them - i find attempts to clarify them exasperating.

I'm currently trying to confirm whether avocado and nuts are tolerably bad, good or neutral.

Given both the sat and omega 6 contents I can't see how they can be good for us to eat but their use seems to be high across the board. Given that the benefits of these foods from omega 3s are comparitiviely low I really don't understand why everyone seems to be eating them (albeit in moderation) while desperately avoiding other food sources of sats and omega 6s.

Absolutely baffled! :? :? :?
Keep it simple.
Don't gourge on nuts or avacado.
Don't cook with oil in an every day sense, you can dry fry or water fry.
Don't shoe horn how you used to eat into eating this way now.
It is a whole food plant centric diet with some seafood. There is a great single page printout summarising what the diet is I think it is in the FAQ.
Counting saturated fat is ok to do for a few weeks so you get an idea of what you are consuming.
Swank's patients did well but still deteriorated, only the really good dieters did better but still deteriorated. OMS is recovery overcoming MS taking Swank and going further so comparing is stepping backwards, look forward.
There are lots of posts on a thread where members shared what they ate that day for ideas.
KylieD wrote: I'm completely confused. I've just read the book again and I interpreted it as saying we need as much omega 3 as we can get as it fights inflammation whereas omega 6 promotes inflammation. But when I've read through the links posted above its saying we should eat 2-4 times as much omega 6 as omega 3???
I'm confused on the sat fat as well. I've just revised my diet and now the only fat I eat comes from 2 Brazil nuts-1.5g sat fat , 5 almonds- 0.3g sat fat,the minimal amount in rice milk and 4 dessert spoonfuls of flaxseed oil- approx 4g sat fat., I can sardines in spring water as recommended in the book-3.4g sat fat. So this brings my daily sat fat intake to just under 10g per day. But if I add fresh salmon my intake is too much. Plus I don't use oil in cooking. I boil or steam veges and dry fry fish. Very frustrating when I'm trying so hard to get this diet right and there's so much conflicting information between the book,the site and the forum. :(

I believe it's important to have higher omega 3 than omega 6.
For example soy milk is high in omega 6, so I don't gave too much of it and try to have more omega 3 on the day I have a lot of omega 6. Like extra flax seed oil or only fish.
It us very confusing, but the posts on here about food have been helpful.
Just be aware that within the forum people express their opinions which are not always correct so you can't rely on them.

The book is still a must read for beginners and still a good re-read for others. However, there has been new research since the book was written so in the odd area the Website is more up to date. For example when I began I did the 9 months of fish oil then changed to flaxseed oil for Omega 3s. Now you can start with flaxseed oil. However the explanation in the book of why we need high doses of Omega 3s is essential to understand. Particularly their effects on cell walls.

As far as avocados and nuts we have to be informed and sensible; they have sat fat as you say but 3g for 1 or 1.5g for half is actually ok in my diet when I consider how many other nutritional benefits they provide. I put nuts in the same category however their sat fat content is something to be very aware of. Almonds are a good choice. In saying this it doesn't mean it is wise to eat lots of these things for obvious reasons.

I tend to mentally adjust my diet if I have eaten say a whole avo that day in guacamole, (might do this once a week) I will be aware of what else I eat that day so I keep control of the sat fat total.

Someone else may choose to never have avocados and that's ok too.

Adamw wrote: Hope this thread is still 'active'....

Kylie, i couldn't agree more with you. While I am eternally grateful for the OMS book and site I am overwhelmed by both the complexity and the contradictions across them - i find attempts to clarify them exasperating.

I'm currently trying to confirm whether avocado and nuts are tolerably bad, good or neutral.

Given both the sat and omega 6 contents I can't see how they can be good for us to eat but their use seems to be high across the board. Given that the benefits of these foods from omega 3s are comparitiviely low I really don't understand why everyone seems to be eating them (albeit in moderation) while desperately avoiding other food sources of sats and omega 6s.

Absolutely baffled! :? :? :?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
^ great post Kashu.
Good reminder to keep up to date with changes on this website.
Very valid point that we all have opinions and equally have to make judgments on whether it is right what we are reading. I'm glad the forum tries to help as the support stops feeling isolated in what we are doing. Over the forthcoming break perhaps I will start to read the book again.
17 posts Page 1 of 2