17 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks for reminding me of the FAQ section Veg. It's certainly allowed me to get my head around Omega 3 Vs 6. Kashu and Blueberry you're belief seems to be confirmed and with it a helpful rationale:

"The right omega-6 to omega-3 balance ranges from about 2:1 to 4:1. This is much lower than the current ratio in our society of about 16:1 up to 25:1. It is the higher ratio that promotes inflammation." As you say Kashu balance seems to be key.

I certainly feel i need to take a proactive rather than spoon fed approach to interpreting the info in both the book and on the site. The OMS subject is so far ranging it's understandable if things are perhaps not always as clear as I'd (we'd?) wish. The FAQ section also mentions Soya and is quite positive about it. However following Blueberry's heads up about omega 6 content in the milk i've looked into this a bit further, Info on http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/leg ... cts/8010/2 shows that the omega 6 content in 1 cup of soya milk significantly exceeds that of Omega 3: Total Omega-3 fatty acids182mg Vs Total Omega-6 fatty acids1419mg

On that basis I too will be steering away from soya milk and opting for almond milk.

I do sometimes get overwhelmed by the mass of info and occasional contradictions and grey areas. It's great to be part of such a supportive and knowledgable peer group as the answers or clarity is never too far away :-)
It is generally known on this forum that nuts should be eaten in moderation. What does moderation mean? Are 3 halves of nut, 3 hazelnuts and 3 cashews two or three times a week OK?
For me, moderation means sticking under 10g of saturated fat per day. I have nuts and seeds pretty much everyday but keep track of the saturated fat in them.
Actually I try not to make things too complicated (hate maths and was never any good at it).

As far as the ratio of Omega 6:3 I never think about it because if we eat the right foods ie plant based with fish and decent amounts of flaxseed oil then that should tip the balance well towards the Omega 3. This is in contrast with usual western diet which is full of processed foods loaded in omega 6.

I am sure I got that reasoning from George's book and it makes perfect sense.

As far as how many nuts is moderate, probably my original comment a few posts back covers that. If you count sat fat in your diet for awhile you will get a good idea of where it hides and how it adds up and it is easy to make mental adjustments as you go.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I'm glad I read this. I think I've been overlooking the omega 6 value in soy milk. I've been hesitant to use almond milk etc because they have a small amount of sunflower oil. But I'm now thinking that this small amount is much less harmful than having the omega 6:3 out of balance.
Thanks for sharing.
This Too Shall Pass
Diagnosed June 2014
OMS September 2014
OMS Retreat February 2016
I don't think you should get to carried away counting saturated fats. Swanks data had people consuming 15-20g's and they deteriorated very little - most of them reached 80-90s with EDSS scores of arounf 2. To be honest a healthy individual with no significant health problems would generally be incapacitated if not further in some way.

Also take into account Wahls has gone the other way with her diet noting animal saturatrd fat may be beneficial. People on her program are eating well of 40grams a day of saturated fat and having had good results. I committed to Jelineks protocal however because it just seemed logical.

Bottom line is do what you can aim between 10-20 grams a day and you're flying. 30grams of nuts maybe half an avo occasionally in the same day isn't going to kill you any faster then anyone else.

I'm coming up on a year since my first relapse and being on the program for 2 months, so far no disease modifying drugs either. Ive noticed even in my time symptoms ease and disappear. Its a great program follow as closely as you can but remember to enjoy your eating as well, not stress about every little intricacy.
This is why Dr Swanks book is so great as a guide to get you started. It's very clear and written so the average person can live their life with a reasonably clear guide.

Yes, we know more now, so some things he estimated can be adjusted - (eg the sat fat in avo) but if we apply his program and make the adjustments we have learned since his death, its a very good place to be.

This whole "Swank's patients still deteriorated" that I see thrown around here needs to be read with caution as that statement is not accurate.

Yes, some patients did deteriorate, just as some on OMS will...

This is the nature of the disease and some have more aggressive unpredictable forms - but there are many many hugely successful stories from people living today that are 100% functional and have been so for the past 30 years. I have spoken personally to some of Swanks direct patients, most now in their 60's, and their stories are astounding, inspirational and incredibly reassuring. Some started in wheelchairs but they are now fully functioning and walking the dog, riding their bike and able to carry loads of groceries up stairs!

So anyone who feels confusion, craves clarification and direction, grab Dr Swanks book, go straight to the Diet pages and get started. You can use this as foundation to then take OMS on more confidently.
17 posts Page 2 of 2