27 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi

A few questions from someone new to the board

1. I note what Prof J says about vegetable oil in processed foods. But if the packaging tells you it is 1g sat fat or less, would that not make it ok?

2. Air fried chips (or fries as they call them in USA). Any problems with that? Prof J uses some olive oil when baking cakes so presumably it would be ok

3. Commercial baked potato crisps. Are these ok if your portion has 1g sat fat or less?

4. Oven baked fries. Are these ok when the labels say the sat fat is v low and you add it up during the day and are still less than 10g

Trying to follow the diet but a busy life means processed vegan food has been playing a part I am afraid. I had not appreciated the detail when vegetable oil is an ingredient, just been looking at the label and how much sat fat is in it

Thanks v much and best of health to you all

Rob
Hi and welcome along
Sadly yes processed ready made meal food is best to be steadly removed from what you consume.
Take it one meal at a time.
There is a real problem with food labeling in the US it is so manipulative. For a start portion size labeling, i.e a 20 gram serving has 1 gram of saturated fat, but the reality you would eat a 100 gram portion. The other is that in the US any portion size that has less than .5 gram of saturated fat can claim that it is 0. See first point and how fast this gets you consuming saturated fat.
For quick food ideas and recipes in addition to looking on this site there are lots of recipes on Forks Over Knives that are generally oil free and then there is the fat free vegan site. Though keep half an eye open to having to make tweaks if needed to recipes you find.
How are you doing otherwise with OMS, how is your vitamin d level.
Hi vegan4life, (Rob)

I have had the same wonder many, many times. I am 17 months into the program.

So many processed foods that display >1 sat fat, do have some oil listed. I am in Australia and always check the serving size, the 100gm amounts and the package size, so I know exactly how much fat is in it and I'm sure you do too.

While OMS says no processed foods, I figure that when the oil is listed low in the ingredient list, and the sat fat is very low, the amounts of oil would be negligible.
I tend to firstly check the sat fat, then the ingredient list, and if it has very low fat and the ingredient list looks natural I approve it for myself.

Same with oven baked fries - if they have a small ingredient list (like potatoes, salt, oil) and have very low fat I think you can consume them occasionally, but maybe don't make a daily habit of it!

While I have found OMS pretty straightforward, this is the one 'grey' area in my opinion, I have Swanks book as well as OMS - Swank did allow processed foods if they had 0 or >1 sat fat, so I think if your diet is mostly fresh and vegan, some processed foods with very low sat fat is ok.

I'm sure others will scream NO processed foods EVER, but I don't think that's realistic or 100% achievable in our busy working world, so some clarification around this would be great.

Kath
When oil is heated, and a commercial product we don't know how high, all fat if heated too high turns not good, consider all the fat on the label as saturated fat.
Several years ago I contacted a leading commercial oven baked fry addmitted they were fried as part of their process. It is only the consumer who does the oven baking.
I got a recipe (may have been from here) for oven baked fries/chips.

Peel and chop potatoes into appropriate size. Dip in egg white and then in a mix of herbs and spices (whatever you like). Put on non stick baking sheet (they will stick to anything except the cleanest non-stick). Bake for 40 minutes checking and turning regularly.

Delicious

And you can make fat-free potato chips/crisps in the microwave. Not tried this yet, but sounds good:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... otato-Chi/
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Thanks Diggity, those baked fries sound great, am going to try them tonight :)
Thanks v much for that. I am doing v well with SPMS but want to stop deteriorating altogether, I want more!

I am in the uk. Went to USA and was amazed at the vegan whole food store.

My vit D is good

What about if it says sesame seed oil or rapeseed oil instead of vegetable oil. I understand that's better as veg oil means palm oil.

Does anyone know of we can rely on the labels in the uk so if it says1g sat fat for the portion we a. Trust it is 1g sat fat

Thanks
I will scream "NO" to processed food. If it has a 'shelf life' out of the fridge, then why? What has been done to it and could it really still be called food?

The best fast food is a piece of fruit. Bananas come perfectly wrapped. Nuts are sustaining.

Get into the habit of ensuring you have delicious food options available at all times that you have made yourself. It's just a way of life, and very rewarding.

Boiled or baked potatoes in the fridge, cold pasta, canned/bottled vegetables in the pantry. Hard root vegetables to grate for a salad - beetroot, carrot, radishes, plus a grated apple and some canned butter beans. All of these options keep reasonably well without the need to constantly shop.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
@vegan4life - I'm pretty sure we can rely on the labels in the UK in most cases (we don't eat beef, so it doesn't matter if it's actually horse)

We are supposed to avoid all oil except flax seed and extra virgin olive oil though. It's not just the saturated fat, but also omega 3/6/9 ratios and the process that the oil has gone through to produce it. I keep thinking that I've found alternatives, but there always seems to be something wrong with them.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
veg wrote: Hi and welcome along
There is a real problem with food labeling in the US it is so manipulative. For a start portion size labeling, i.e a 20 gram serving has 1 gram of saturated fat, but the reality you would eat a 100 gram portion. The other is that in the US any portion size that has less than .5 gram of saturated fat can claim that it is 0. See first point and how fast this gets you consuming saturated fat.

Here in the Netherlands this problem does not really exist.

If I see a product, let's call it product X, which has a label saying 100 gram contains 0.5g saturated fats. And if the entire package is 250 grams, it should have 1.25g saturated fats in total. I may only eat half of it, or if I feel like it all of it; so either 0.63g or 1.25g saturated fats. That's not a lot. But the package is processed, and it does contain oil. Saturated fats are, arguably, negligible. Yet due to it being processed and containing oil makes it not OMS-friendly.

Another example are Turkey slices for on bread, some of which contain extremely low amounts of saturated fat. Yet, it's meat thus not vegan. This helps me a lot for breakfast, but it's not OMS. Why should one not eat it, if the main issue with meat is the amount of saturated fats?

It's things like these that make it really difficult for me to follow OMS. For me personally, there don't seem to be easy to understand guidelines and everything in our supermarkets are processed. So what is there left to eat except raw veggies?

I would like to add that it's frustrating for me to do something when I don't know why to do it that way. An example would be dairy. Dutch cheese (often?) don't contain lactose, yet it is dairy. Certain dairy products do not contain a lot of saturated fats, if any. Yet they are not OMS-friendly. Why is dairy a full-out ban? Is it because most people can't filter out the okay products with the no-no products, so just ban it altogether to be on the safe side?

Positive stories alone don't motivate me enough. And I tried finding a good explanation, but I found a lack thereof.
27 posts Page 1 of 3