3 posts Page 1 of 1
The cooking oil I have in my cupboard is rapeseed oil. Is this not acceptable for the OMS diet either?

Rapeseed oil is not recommended.

Rapeseed oil contains a lot of polyunsaturated fats, but these are mostly Omega-6 fatty acids, which have an inflammatory effect, whereas flaxseed oil contains mostly Omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory, and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) contains mostly oleic acid, an mono-unsaturated fatty acid (= Omega-9 fatty acid), which is neutral in respect to inflammation, therefore better than the Omega-6-rich oils.
We want to shift the ratio of Omega-6 intake to Omega-3 intake more towards an Omega-3 intake, hence the Omega-3 rich flaxseed oil (which is never to be heated).

Try to stop using “cooking oil”! The only oil which stands moderate heating is EVOO. Therefore, EVOO is the oil recommended for baking (also of sweet cakes), but only at temperatures below 180° Celsius. For the preparation of fish you may grease a form with a little bit of EVOO, place the fish in it and bake it at maximum 180° Celsius, better: 150°–160° C. But other than that avoid heating EVOO! Do not fry or deep fry with any oil! Traditional frying is off for good! The solution is “stir-frying” without any oil in a good frying pan or “frying” with water. This works so well, that after a while you won’t miss your old ways of food preparation!

See also the post “Help” by Van_Mac of Tue Aug 30, 2016 (in the diet section of the forum):
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7204
and the answers which Veg and others gave to this post.

Good luck in exploring a new way of cooking!

Zoë
O.K thanks for that detailed explanation.

Today I made a vegetable curry and 'fried' the onions etc in vegetable stock (really steaming them I suppose, with the lid on the frying pan). It was fine. I think I have always fried onions and peppers etc as a base for vegetarian bolognase, curries, chillis just as a habit and there's really no need.
I understand the need to increase the omega 3 fatty acids and decrease the omega 6, and aim to get serious about trying to do that.

Thanks again.
3 posts Page 1 of 1