9 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm following OMS diet + no gluten, as in the US gluten is considered bad because of molecular mimicry (and I'm feeling fantastic!). I have a question about the amount of saturated fat in vegan products. For example 1 cup of delicious soy free vegan yogurt has 4g of saturated fat. I also like vegan "cheese", but it has 4g of sat fat in 1 slice. Both are organic, healthy vegan products, but if I have 1 cup of yogurt for breakfast and add 1 slice of vegan cheese to my egg whites that adds up to 8g of saturated fat! That leaves very little room for sat fat from let's say salmon I'll have for dinner that day.
I also add lots of extra virgin olive oil and flaxseed oil to my dinner salads (dinner meaning salmon, potatoes, and a salad), but I've read that we shouldn't count sat fat in these oils as they are considered supplements?
Not sure how much wiggle room we have for sat fat in vegan products that are wholesome and plant based?
Thanks for any advice and suggestions! Good heath to you all!
4gm seems high per serving, are you sure the ingredients do not include palm oil or labeled vegetable oil?
There is nothing wrong with the ingredients, I carefully read labels before I buy anything. Both yogurt and cheese contain coconut, hence the higher saturated fat content. While I don't eat coconut oil, many vegan products have it. I understand we need to avoid coconut oil but when I have a choice between American made vegan yogurt with coconut or with soy, I will always choose coconut. Most American soy is GMO and is not recommended by naturopathic doctors.
I wonder if it matters whether saturated fat comes from meat or plant based food. For example I eat avocados every day, at least 1 per day in my salad with EVOO and flaxseed oil. I know 1 avocado has almost 3g sat fat, but it's delicious & super healthy. However, if I combine it with just 1 slice of vegan cheese I'm almost at my daily limit of 10g sat fat.
Generally I stay within 10g of sat fat daily but am a bit confused by the vegan treats like yogurt and cheese, and their coconut cream/oil base.
I have to take issue with a blanket avoidance of soy. Nancy's or any other organic soy based yogurt is GMO free by definition. Soy is health promoting. People - even naturopathic doctors- demonize soy because they have been mistakenly lead to believe it causes cancer. Plant based estrogens help prevent cancer, whereas as animal derived estrogen has been found to contribute to certain cancers. This video from Dr. Greger does a good job of setting the record straight on the difference between animal and plant based soy.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-shouldnt-eat-soy/

I would absolutely pick organic soy over coconut based cheese or yogurt any day. It is lower in saturated fat and tastes better in a yogurt and cheese. Especially since a single piece of cheese is pushing you toward the upper limit after a single avocado. Saturated fat is saturated fat. Just my two cents though.
Astrid - Midwest US. Diagnosed 2006, OMS June 2016
From my understanding of OMS, while we arent supposed to exactly count grams of sat fat, I dont think the 10g are neccessarily viewed as an allowance. I think the book seems to imply that we can expect better results with the lower the saturated fat we can go and should aim to go as low as we can reasonably go. So I interpret that as if you have 6g at the end of the day and want to eat something with 4g of saturated fat, its still better to avoid it. Our family enjoys avacodos and like putting them in salads etc, but a few slices is the way we go, not an entired avacodo. Everyone is different of course, and its not totally clear what "moderation" means. Lastly its not discussed as far as I know, but our family is on the smaller side. I would think we generally eat less then most and so I am guessing we should probably scale everything down a bit.
The Coconut itself is a problem, if you are trying to follow the program 100% then cut out the Coconut in all forms.

https://overcomingms.org/ms-a-to-z/faqs/diet/

Do we have to do without coconut milk...

There is a lot of controversy about the oils in coconut and their effect on health. While some reputable authorities like Udo Erasmus argue that the short chain fatty acids in coconut may be quite healthy, Swank was very clear in eliminating coconut from the diets of those in his landmark study. We know that most of the fats in coconut are saturated fats. One of the key issues with saturated fats is their melting point. If the melting point of a fat is above body temperature, then that fat will essentially behave in body cell membranes like a solid fat at body temperature, making the cell membranes rigid, inflexible and sticky, thereby encouraging degeneration and inflammation. It is worth noting that the melting points of the common fats in coconut are as follows:

Lauric acid (12:0 carbon chain) 44.2C
Myristic acid (14:0 carbon chain) 53.9C
Palmitic acid (16:0 carbon chain) 63.1C.
These fats are solid at body temperature and are likely to significantly worsen MS. We do not recommend them in any quantity.

The bold in my emphasis!

Unfortunately most forms of coconut contain oil, (to differing amounts), and if you are following OMS / Swank then it's got to go... or you do what you want, eat what you want, just don't count it as program compliant 100%, call it 95% and try not to include coconut in every recipe or post on the forums.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Assuming the slices are Chao then the ingredients go water then coconut oil so the cheese slices are effectively coconut flavoured to taste like cheese the coconut is giving the texture it's solid at room temperature. Looks a highly processed product. It's your choice but I don't class that as OMS compliant.
Why don't you try yeast flakes in your omelette instead? It might give a taste you are after.
Thank you all for your comments. Especially Astrid for your comment about soy - very interesting info about plant based soy. I guess there is no way to go around it, vegan products with coconut must go. Even though I ate them only occasionally there is no point in consuming anything with coconut.
There are many vegan yogurts and other products made with soy, and they taste good, but I mostly stayed away from them because soy is so demonized in the US. But, I am certainly willing to educate myself a bit more about soy and incorporate it into my diet.
Good health to you all! :)
9 posts Page 1 of 1