7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everybody

I'm new to the OMS program and trying to get my head around it all, especially the use of oils etc.

I like to enjoy some Nairn's oatcakes, but having read their label more thoroughly since starting OMS I have noticed that they use 'sustainable palm fruit oil', which is a now on OMS. When I researched the ingredients further on Nairn's website, heres what they say:

Sustainable palm fruit oil in our oatcakes as it has unique functional properties other oils do not have. It is a non-hydrogenated source of fat which is naturally free of detrimental trans-fatty acids. Palm oil is also cholesterol free, has good digestibility properties and contains a high level of anti-oxidants (vitamin E). It is also more stable than sunflower and olive oils and therefore less prone to rancidity, which is key to helping ensure consumers can enjoy great quality oatcakes time after time.

If the product contains no hydrated fat and no trans-fatty acids, does this make them OK on the OMS programme, or still a no?

Many thanks
Hello Claire,

You are quite right that palm oil is not endorsed by the OMS programme. Your mention of Nairn’s oatcakes suggest that you might be in the UK? You could have a look for the Rude Health brand. Their turmeric and ginger oatcakes are made with extra virgin olive oil and are - in my view - seriously delicious.

:) Jette
The Gut Microbiome is KEY to optimal health.
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
Saying the oil is non- hydrogenated means that it has not gone through a process that adds hydrogen to make a solid fat (not good) during which Trans fats are created.
However a quick google search shows that Palm oil is about 49% Saturated Fat which is definatly NOT our friend.

Hope this helps

BG
bannrikae wrote: Saying the oil is non- hydrogenated means that it has not gone through a process that adds hydrogen to make a solid fat (not good) during which Trans fats are created.
However a quick google search shows that Palm oil is about 49% Saturated Fat which is definatly NOT our friend.

Hope this helps

BG

Thank you both for your thoughts - much appreciated! Each oatcake contains 2.1g of saturated fat, so yes, looks like I definitely
need to avoid from now on. I will have a look at the Rude Health ones - I have their almond milk now and love it!

Keep well
I also love Orangutans. Clear Spring are another make though not evoo rather just oo but they don't contain cane syrup which I find can be a little sweet.
veg wrote: I also love Orangutans. Clear Spring are another make though not evoo rather just oo but they don't contain cane syrup which I find can be a little sweet.

Thank you! I feel a trip to Whole Foods coming on tomorrow (snow permitting here in London!).

Keep well.
Clear Spring do a lovely sun dried tomato oat cake, that's very nice. Hopefully your shop might have that and Rude Health one for you to try.
Keep warm it's cold out there (UK).
7 posts Page 1 of 1