4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I'm a 36 year old male. I have not been diagnosed with MS but have had strange muscle/nerve symptoms for several years which are there 95% of the time and only get a few days through the year when I think MY GOODNESS I HAVE NO PAINS TODAY.

Is it possible that exercise, diet and even green tea can switch off symptoms of MS temporarily - or at least turn the volume down on the pain from 7 to maybe 1 or 2 (out of 10) ??????

I've come to the conclusion that normal muscle pains do not feel like what I have been dealing with and that is why I am posting on an MS forum. I am pursuing my doctor now to get answers and am having a scan soon to start things off after I complained of pain in my liver area and sore ribs and sore solar plexus area. I put off the doctor route for so long thinking the pains were other things and nothing serious. They have been very bad at times and recently had some other symptoms like GERD and heartburn and abdominal/rib/liver area pain.

I decided about three months ago to do something about all this as a family member had back problems and it suddenly dawned on me maybe I had nerve or spinal issues which were causing these pains and that they were not "normal" muscular pains that could be attributed to any injury or anything else (I had put them down for many years to repetitive strain injury as a consequence of my desk job using a computer all day).

I changed my diet, cut out potatoes and chips (yes I got it into my head I had arthritis and maybe had reactions to potatoes), and I cut out ALL junk - no biscutes, no chocolate, no sweets nothing at all of that nature - i survived on rice and fish and beans etc.

After 3 weeks of this i actually felt a bit better - my symptoms had reduced. I began to form an idea that the ingredients in these foods were indeed inflammatory - and actually that word inflammation had always rang true with me as far as trying to describe the feeling behind my symptoms - it felt like my body had to fight against something or other, like i was being poisoned on the inside. A very strange feeling. So my IDEA was that cutting down on foods that could cause inflammation helped me. In fact during this time I lost a lot of weight - which was strange because efforts to lose weight in the past had always given very poor results even though my weight had ballooned and I had weight to lose.

About three weeks into this new diet I went to the Doctor and was given tablets for my stomach acid and gerd. These also seemed to help over the coming weeks - well they cut that symptom of heartburn away anyway if nothing else.

However I have not felt 100% and feel my body is still fighting against something daily or on a weekly basis with slight fluctuations of severity in my symptoms which I find difficult to find a pattern for.

BUT exercise SEEMS to have a pattern effect on my symptoms - when I go for a hefty hike which gets my heart racing, or when I go on my bike and have an intense 40 minute ride which has challenging uphill climbs or when I go for a 20 minute jog which is relatively intense and gets my heart racing..... it seems to "wash away" some of the symptoms in the hours afterwards and this lasts sometimes for a couple of days afterwards. Until slowly the symptoms come back gradually. It literally feels like someone switches a switch OFF on my pains, like getting my heart racing washes away the inflammation. I know this sounds crazy but it feels like it happens too often to be all in the mind. Also some areas feel warm after exercise and for a day or so afterwards - like my body is repairing that area - like my neck.

Another pattern I have seen is when I drink 4 to 5 cups of green tea a day the symptoms are reduced. Again as if the inflammation is washed away.

Does anyone have these experiences with MS?

Any reply is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Hello,

I'm a 36 year old male. I have not been diagnosed with MS but have had strange muscle/nerve symptoms for several years which are there 95% of the time and only get a few days through the year when I think MY GOODNESS I HAVE NO PAINS TODAY.

Is it possible that exercise, diet and even green tea can switch off symptoms of MS temporarily - or at least turn the volume down on the pain from 7 to maybe 1 or 2 (out of 10) ??????

I've come to the conclusion that normal muscle pains do not feel like what I have been dealing with and that is why I am posting on an MS forum. I am pursuing my doctor now to get answers and am having a scan soon to start things off after I complained of pain in my liver area and sore ribs and sore solar plexus area. I put off the doctor route for so long thinking the pains were other things and nothing serious. They have been very bad at times and recently had some other symptoms like GERD and heartburn and abdominal/rib/liver area pain.

I decided about three months ago to do something about all this as a family member had back problems and it suddenly dawned on me maybe I had nerve or spinal issues which were causing these pains and that they were not "normal" muscular pains that could be attributed to any injury or anything else (I had put them down for many years to repetitive strain injury as a consequence of my desk job using a computer all day).

I changed my diet, cut out potatoes and chips (yes I got it into my head I had arthritis and maybe had reactions to potatoes), and I cut out ALL junk - no biscutes, no chocolate, no sweets nothing at all of that nature - i survived on rice and fish and beans etc.

After 3 weeks of this i actually felt a bit better - my symptoms had reduced. I began to form an idea that the ingredients in these foods were indeed inflammatory - and actually that word inflammation had always rang true with me as far as trying to describe the feeling behind my symptoms - it felt like my body had to fight against something or other, like i was being poisoned on the inside. A very strange feeling. So my IDEA was that cutting down on foods that could cause inflammation helped me. In fact during this time I lost a lot of weight - which was strange because efforts to lose weight in the past had always given very poor results even though my weight had ballooned and I had weight to lose.

About three weeks into this new diet I went to the Doctor and was given tablets for my stomach acid and gerd. These also seemed to help over the coming weeks - well they cut that symptom of heartburn away anyway if nothing else.

However I have not felt 100% and feel my body is still fighting against something daily or on a weekly basis with slight fluctuations of severity in my symptoms which I find difficult to find a pattern for.

BUT exercise SEEMS to have a pattern effect on my symptoms - when I go for a hefty hike which gets my heart racing, or when I go on my bike and have an intense 40 minute ride which has challenging uphill climbs or when I go for a 20 minute jog which is relatively intense and gets my heart racing..... it seems to "wash away" some of the symptoms in the hours afterwards and this lasts sometimes for a couple of days afterwards. Until slowly the symptoms come back gradually. It literally feels like someone switches a switch OFF on my pains, like getting my heart racing washes away the inflammation. I know this sounds crazy but it feels like it happens too often to be all in the mind. Also some areas feel warm after exercise and for a day or so afterwards - like my body is repairing that area - like my neck.

Another pattern I have seen is when I drink 4 to 5 cups of green tea a day the symptoms are reduced. Again as if the inflammation is washed away.

Thanks
Dave

Hello Dave,

I was diagnosed with MS 2 years ago. Due to my age (which is 53), green tea doesn't help in this case. I have tried plasma exchange already and seems that nothing works so far... Don't know what to try now..
But as for your experiment, I think it's great that it works. I hope it will help you eliminate the pain in the future.

Regards,
Renee
Dave1 wrote: Hello,

I've come to the conclusion that normal muscle pains do not feel like what I have been dealing with and that is why I am posting on an MS forum. I am pursuing my doctor now to get answers and am having a scan soon to start things off after I complained of pain in my liver area and sore ribs and sore solar plexus area. I put off the doctor route for so long thinking the pains were other things and nothing serious. They have been very bad at times and recently had some other symptoms like GERD and heartburn and abdominal/rib/google street view/liver area pain.

Thanks
Dave

I only began drinking green tea (having never touched tea or coffee in my life before) because I read it was good for MS! There seems to be a divided opinion on whether it is good or bad, but I have read more positive things. I think it's great that it works for you.
Both green tea and exercise are good for me. Add in diet changes and a reduction in stress and you'll be well on your way to recovery.
4 posts Page 1 of 1