41 posts Page 1 of 5
... Have I got it right? and Hi all :D

Ok so to cut a long story as short as possible. I'm 33. I had Optic Neuritus at the end of November, they did a lumber punture and took bloods. I had 3 days of iv steriods and that sorted out the eye problems straight away. Then I had an MRI at the end of December. At the start of January I had a neuro appointment and the doc said that protiens had shown up in the LP and bloods that people with MS have, the MRI also showed 15 lesions (5 in spine and 10 in brain). On one of my hands the tips of my fingers had been a bit numb and tingle so they gave me 3 days of steriods again, again problem fixed. The doctor wanted me to start on one of the drugs but I said no, it doesn't make any sense to me to go down that route at this stage. I'm quite upbeat about it all to be honest, for me getting stressed and worried about things is a total waste of time and energy and I would rather focus on trying to do something positive and proactive about it, so my husband and I did loads of research online and we found out about the swank diet, various vitamins and also this site.

So..

I now have a load of vitamins.

Vitamin D 10,000iu
Calcium 165mg
Magnesium 66mg
Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg
Fish and Fish Oil Supplements 1000mg
Flax Seed Oil 2tbls
Vitamin A 5000iu
The B Vitamins 250mg
PABA 25mg
Inositol FCC 50mg
Choline Bitartrate FCC 50mg
Vitamin C 0.5g
Vitamin E 400iu
Zinc 20mg
Copper 1.25mg
Selenium 200mg
Manganese - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online, but I think I may be getting enough through veggies
Grape Seed Extract/Pycnogenol (super antioxidants) 5000mg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 300mg
Acetyl L-carnitine 588mg
Gingko Biloba 6000mg
Glutathione Peroxidase - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online
Acidophilus 4billion
Digestive Enzymes 2 caps
Lecithin (also known as Phosphatidyl Choline) 1200mg
Phosphatidyl Serine 100mg
Co-Enzyme Q10 100mg
Enada - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online
L-Glutamine 500mg
MSM 1g

I've been taking them since the end of December when MS was first mentioned and I have to say I have never felt so good! Once we're fully clued up on the diet and my body has got used to the veggie juices I'll probably reduce some of these because I'll be getting enough from veggies.

We also got a juicer and I'm making 2 juices a day with green leafy vegetables. I found somewhere that delivers organic fruit and veggies so we are getting 25kg of fruit and veg from them a week, most of it is green leafy stuff and it tastes great.

I have cut out all diary, legumes, processed food, yeast, eggs, saturated fat, gluten

We have been getting fresh fish and having that each evening meal with lots of greens. Also have some skinless chicken breast and we're having that once or twice a week.

I still have loads of reading to do. My husband is reading Overcoming MS at the moment and I am reading the Swank diet book and also The MS recovery Diet book. Hopefully I can give the MS a massive boot up the arse ;)

Well I think that's everything, I would be grateful for any input or suggestions. So far am I doing things right?

Thanks for reading.
Wow you are doing well and especially with both of you doing it.

Once you have both read George's book you will probably make changes to the supplements.

I notice two things it would be wise to stop. Vit A has the potential to be toxic and there is enough calcium in your fabulous diet so you dont need to take that. :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I agree with Kashu, I would also add Vitamin E as potentially toxic.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... pplements/
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Great thanks. Yep the Vit C I was going to cut out next because of all the greens. My huband mentioned the Vit E, he's halfway through the book at the mo. Will look at Vit A also. Thanks for the input, it's really helpful :D

Do you know if quinoa is ok? I have some quinoa cereal in the cupboard and also some milk.
I`ll second the above
Only, what kind of vitaminB? And what is your vitaminD level?
You might consider a one of megadose to get it within target.
Yes, quinoa is ok and so are legumes. Just check your cereal for any added oils or other junk that isn't healthy. Soy, almond, rice, and oat milks are all ok.
It's a B-Complex, it has B1, B2, B6, & B12.
I don't know my vitamin levels, I have an appointment next weeks when I'll be asking them to check everything. The neuro doctor was a bit :? when I first said I wanted to tackle this with diet but my GP is lovely so I'm going to ask him to check all my levels and again in a couple of months.

Glad quinoa is ok, legumes are generally a no-no for me as they give me stomach craps and tummy ache so I've avoided them for a couple of years. We get our shopping from an organic shop and always check the labels and it hasn't got any added oils so looks like it should be fine.
Hi,

It might be wise to seek assistance from an integrative medical practitioner concerning the supplements. I'm not sure what country you're in, but in the US I think they are called holistic doctors.

Some vitamins are fat soluble and some are water soluble. There is more potential for toxicity from fat soluble vitamins.

All nutrients are best obtained via food rather than by laboratory production.

Fish and flax oils I would consider to be food, and are an essential part of the OMS program.

I would advise just supplementing with vitamin D and testing blood levels regularly until you get your blood level into the desired range and work out what regular dosage keeps it in range. Of course, regular sunlight is far better than supplementation, but not all of us can get enough sunlight.

This is an interesting link on this website: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... vitamin+D/

If you're in Australia, you can find an integrative medical practitioner here: http://www.aima.net.au/home.html
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
B12 is important for nerve function so I take that on its own most days 1000ug so that I keep my blood levels up around the 800. It is not toxic.

I found that iron was an on-going issue for me; my integrated GP thinks maybe my body is not absorbing it from my diet. Have had all the tests but it remains a problem.
It is probably worth checking that, especially because you have issues with legumes, there is obviously something going on in your stomach. It should be an automatic test your doc does anyway.

Sashapineapple wrote: It's a B-Complex, it has B1, B2, B6, & B12.
I don't know my vitamin levels, I have an appointment next weeks when I'll be asking them to check everything. The neuro doctor was a bit :? when I first said I wanted to tackle this with diet but my GP is lovely so I'm going to ask him to check all my levels and again in a couple of months.

Glad quinoa is ok, legumes are generally a no-no for me as they give me stomach craps and tummy ache so I've avoided them for a couple of years. We get our shopping from an organic shop and always check the labels and it hasn't got any added oils so looks like it should be fine.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I'm in Europe Susan. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Kashu, I have have been on and off anemic for years, I can usually tell when I am because I get a sluggish feeling, then the doctor confirms it and gives me some iron pills. I haven't needed to take these in a while now. I'm eating so many greens now I don't think iron is or will be a problem.

The legumes. I have had endometriosis for many years and the legumes seem to irritate it so that's why I avoid them. No biggy, I'm not a bit meat eater and much prefer fish anyway.

I don't suppose any of you know what a good milk is for coffee do you? Soy milk is yuck and last night tried a decaf coffee with quinoa milk and it was awful. Are there any milk alternatives out there that actually taste nice in coffee or am I going to have to move to black coffee.
41 posts Page 1 of 5