41 posts Page 2 of 5
Milk in coffee? I went to black coffee, the secret is finding a grind you like and then there is no bitterness. Best made in espresso machine tho, plunger is ok or stove top. The only time i have milk is at a coffe shop when they have a grunty machine and the soy milk is ok.

Same with tea, as soon as it turns brown it is bitter,if the water is light and golden it is sweet and doesn't need milk.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I find that soy milks really vary. I have soy milk with instant coffee; the good stuff is nice enough black :-) Might be worth trying almond milk.

Your approach to MS is great - doing whatever it takes, being active in searching for ideas - it's exactly what has worked for so many others. Vitamin B12 can be useful for some, but you should be getting plenty from the fish you're eating.

Getting exercise really helps too; in the book it covers lots of other things that can be combined to improve our health, like meditating and keeping a journal. Try things out and see what works for you.
Thanks, I had black coffee today and it wasn't too bad actually. I could get used to it. Thanks for the tip about black tea Kashu, I'll remember that.

I'm looking into yoga and pilates at the moment. I have a cross trainer and I usually do 30 mins on it each day, plus running around after two toddlers keep me quite fit! :D
Pilates was great for me - noticeable improvements in balance and coordination v quickly
Hi Sasha

I never found one that was OK in coffee, i have 2 cup of black coffee a day now, although my friend said use all soya, or rice mik, or oat milk and make a miky coffee with now ater tastes better - i'm still to be convinced!

I have endometriosis too, dairy was a big factor in the pain for me.

I'm also reading through the book, i've been diagnosed for 11 years and apart from some minor blips been OK, i stopped the diet when i was pregnant and craved dairy, and only just getting back into it now. No symptoms when i was pregnant :o)

Andrea
Yes Pilates is good; try and find a Physio who is a Pilates instructor too and do one-on-one sessions first. Don't do classes until you have the technique right and then keep the classes small.

Sashapineapple wrote: Thanks, I had black coffee today and it wasn't too bad actually. I could get used to it. Thanks for the tip about black tea Kashu, I'll remember that.

I'm looking into yoga and pilates at the moment. I have a cross trainer and I usually do 30 mins on it each day, plus running around after two toddlers keep me quite fit! :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
hi Sasha,

in tea and coffee rice milk tastes the best in my opinion, I buy that. I also make almond milk, which takes a bit to get used to in drinks, but is good for cereals.

The recipe is, soak half cup raw almonds in filtered water for at least 6 hours. Rinse and blend/process with one and a half cups fresh filtered water for one minute. Strain, will keep 3 - 4 days.

I love your positive approach to beating this disease. You're halfway there with your attitude. Just be careful with the omega 6(evening primrose oil) you are taking. When you've read the book you'll understand it better.

Mel :D
I was just re-looking at your list in light of Mel's comment which is a good point re the Omega 6.

I noticed also the magnesium. If you have sluggish bowel issues you can do wonders with magnesium citrate (I get mine at iherb). I have up to 1000mg per day depending on the effect. It is really important for nerve function too. Although it is not listed as part of the Program it is clear many of us choose to take some supplements for various reasons. I can't live without it.

Have you done your 9mths of Omega 3 supplementation to ensure your cells have become nice and pliable? I think the recommendation is flaxseed/fish oil to 6g per day. I found it was just easier to do standard fish oil caps + 20 per day(10 morning & night) so I could ensure I was getting enough.

I did a search on Gingko Biloba and the effect on the immune system. It may or not be relevant but it spoke of it possibly enhancing immune suppressant drugs, steroids were not mentioned specifically but I personally would be wary of that if I was on them.

The other thing it spoke of was it thins blood; would it cause problems (enhance) the effects of the high mega 3 supplementation we take which already makes cell walls pliable. Does the combination potentially cause bleeding issues? Don't know, I see though there is plenty of sites recommending it for MS but I would be wary.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvi ... Ginkgo.htm
http://www.health24.com/natural/Herbs/1 ... ,22543.asp

Ensure your Probiotics are dairy free.

If you want Selenium then x2 Brazil nuts per day will give you the RDA without popping pills. :D

Sashapineapple wrote: ... Have I got it right? and Hi all :D

Ok so to cut a long story as short as possible. I'm 33. I had Optic Neuritus at the end of November, they did a lumber punture and took bloods. I had 3 days of iv steriods and that sorted out the eye problems straight away. Then I had an MRI at the end of December. At the start of January I had a neuro appointment and the doc said that protiens had shown up in the LP and bloods that people with MS have, the MRI also showed 15 lesions (5 in spine and 10 in brain). On one of my hands the tips of my fingers had been a bit numb and tingle so they gave me 3 days of steriods again, again problem fixed. The doctor wanted me to start on one of the drugs but I said no, it doesn't make any sense to me to go down that route at this stage. I'm quite upbeat about it all to be honest, for me getting stressed and worried about things is a total waste of time and energy and I would rather focus on trying to do something positive and proactive about it, so my husband and I did loads of research online and we found out about the swank diet, various vitamins and also this site.

So..

I now have a load of vitamins.

Vitamin D 10,000iu
Calcium 165mg
Magnesium 66mg
Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg
Fish and Fish Oil Supplements 1000mg
Flax Seed Oil 2tbls
Vitamin A 5000iu
The B Vitamins 250mg
PABA 25mg
Inositol FCC 50mg
Choline Bitartrate FCC 50mg
Vitamin C 0.5g
Vitamin E 400iu
Zinc 20mg
Copper 1.25mg
Selenium 200mg
Manganese - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online, but I think I may be getting enough through veggies
Grape Seed Extract/Pycnogenol (super antioxidants) 5000mg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 300mg
Acetyl L-carnitine 588mg
Gingko Biloba 6000mg
Glutathione Peroxidase - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online
Acidophilus 4billion
Digestive Enzymes 2 caps
Lecithin (also known as Phosphatidyl Choline) 1200mg
Phosphatidyl Serine 100mg
Co-Enzyme Q10 100mg
Enada - - - Not got this yet because I can't find it online
L-Glutamine 500mg
MSM 1g

I've been taking them since the end of December when MS was first mentioned and I have to say I have never felt so good! Once we're fully clued up on the diet and my body has got used to the veggie juices I'll probably reduce some of these because I'll be getting enough from veggies.

We also got a juicer and I'm making 2 juices a day with green leafy vegetables. I found somewhere that delivers organic fruit and veggies so we are getting 25kg of fruit and veg from them a week, most of it is green leafy stuff and it tastes great.

I have cut out all diary, legumes, processed food, yeast, eggs, saturated fat, gluten

We have been getting fresh fish and having that each evening meal with lots of greens. Also have some skinless chicken breast and we're having that once or twice a week.

I still have loads of reading to do. My husband is reading Overcoming MS at the moment and I am reading the Swank diet book and also The MS recovery Diet book. Hopefully I can give the MS a massive boot up the arse ;)

Well I think that's everything, I would be grateful for any input or suggestions. So far am I doing things right?

Thanks for reading.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Kashu wrote: Have you done your 9mths of Omega 3 supplementation to ensure your cells have become nice and pliable? I think the recommendation is flaxseed/fish oil to 6g per day. I found it was just easier to do standard fish oil caps + 20 per day(10 morning & night) so I could ensure I was getting enough.

9 months? No, only been taking them since the end of December.
Kashu wrote: I did a search on Gingko Biloba and the effect on the immune system. It may or not be relevant but it spoke of it possibly enhancing immune suppressant drugs, steroids were not mentioned specifically but I personally would be wary of that if I was on them.

I'm not on any steroids or any drugs.
From what I have read the studies have been quite small, some of them had ok results, nothing spectacular though.

I'm looking forward to getting all my bloods done and then I can see what my levels for everything are and adjust my diet and/or supplements then. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I won't need any supplements apart from Vit D
Kashu wrote: Ensure your Probiotics are dairy free.

If you want Selenium then x2 Brazil nuts per day will give you the RDA without popping pills. :D

Will do. Great tip on the brazil nuts.

Thanks Mel, I'll try that milk recipe. I'm also going to try and make some quinoa milk.

:)
Hi Sasha
I was just curious where the recommendations for that big list of supplements came from?
In the OMS recommendations, there is:
Fish oil 20 capsules x1,000 mg per day for the first 9 months to get cells pliable, and then 20ml flaxseed after that.(some take more, up to 60-80ml per day)
Vitamin D 5,000 iU -10,000 per day depending on blood level, to get levels to 150-220 nmol/l
Vitamin B12 if levels are low.
And that's it.

For me that was one of the big surprises at the retreat, that George recommends nothing more than these. He suggested that we can get all our needs from eating a wide variety of fruit and vegetables and grains, and fish and legumes and soy or tofu.

As to soy milk for coffee, I find that Bonsoy tastes the best for my tastes in coffee. For tea, I have now found I don't like any milk in it, so I have it black, and that is my backup if I go out somewhere that does not have soy milk.

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
41 posts Page 2 of 5