4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am taking Betaferon 1-b since Mai 2011 and I have regular bloodtest.

Today I got my Ferritin test from my GP back and it's quite high as 370 ug/l

Data:
11.Jan.2010 35.9 ug/l
Sept. 2011 app. 360 ug/l
02.Febr.2011 370 ug/l

Ferritin is not just for iron testing, etc. It also shows that the liver is inflamed.

I am quite worried as all other blood tests are ok.

The Vitamin D shows as 175 nmol/l. I had last year 94 nmol/l, when I had my fîrst attack.

I am still optimizing my food and supplement as recommended and also with the help of the Paracelsus Clinic Lustmühle in Switzerland. --> blood tests in fat as omega 6 and 3, sat. fat. etc.test for food allergy, dark field mikroskopy, detox my body from pestizid, etc.

Do you think the high ferritin value come from betaferon, as I was reading that some people developed a liver desease?
My doctors cannot answer my question. To be honest I am not aware from the drug but in my shock and unsecurity I decided to take the drug. I only had one attack (CIS) with optic neuritis and 1-3 lesions in my head. The newer MRI in Sept.2011 showed 1 more lesion but everything is stable.

I am going to all emotion through like some of you do, too. Reading a lots of books and of course this forum help me alot, as we don't have any good support in Switzerland as far I have searched for and realised.

Anyway many thanks for some reply from overseas.

Andrea

PS: To NZers I used to live in Hamilton, NZ. This Page give me some comfort. ;)

I
I don't really know what Ferritin is. I suppose the Betaferon will change the values of many chemicals in your body. I'm on Avonex and i have a slightly lower white blood cell count. I don't know if your Ferritin levels are serious. have you asked your Neurologist? Is your liver actually inflamed? Are your liver enzymes otherwise normal?

It is true that we can have liver problems from interferon. Are any of your results as alarming to your doctors, or do they think it's nothing much?

As a side bit of information, I was once concerned (obsessed) about my heart and asked my doctor if I should go to a cardiologist. She said that sometimes you can find something bothersome that doesn't offer any useful information. I went to a Neuro Ophthalmologist where I learned that my eyes had nerve damage and he could not help me. In truth, I was better off not seeing his charts - it made me feel worse than it really was. I checked my vision all the time after that. Thankfully, I think my eyes are just fine, but I can't see going back to the doctor unless something changes. Sometimes we can have too much information

I hope this helps.

.Alex.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Actually, I just saw this, so it seems it can be caused by interferon. I don't know what it means.

I was very nervous for 1 year on Interferon before I realised my thyroid and liver weren't going to fall out. I wanted Copaxone, but can't get it it. You can switch at any time in the future. You can wait 6 months to see if you're worried about having an attack.

I wish I had more info. I think most people on this website are not on medication, or are on copaxone. You might try MSWorld, they seem to have a more active drug community. You can also ask the manufacturer.

http://msj.sagepub.com/content/14/6/857.abstract

Serum ferritin levels have been found to be increased in patients with active progressive multiple sclerosis (MS). However, its levels are reported to be unchanged in stable and in active relapsing-remitting (RR) form of the disease. No research to date has assessed the influence of interferon β (IFN-β) on ferritin concentrations. In this study, serum ferritin levels were measured in 43 individuals with RR-MS and 38 age- and sex-matched control volunteers. There were no significant differences between controls and patients under stable and untreated conditions. In patients at 12 months after the beginning of IFN-β therapy, ferritin levels were higher in women and in men, in comparison with baseline (71.4 ± 58.6 vs 43.4 ± 29.9 ng/mL, P = 0.0006 and 216.0 ± 124.3 vs 127.8 ± 74.9 ng/mL, P = 0.0022, respectively). These results suggest that larger prospective studies are required to evaluate the role of serum ferritin in MS and its potential usefulness in monitoring responses to immunomodulatory therapies.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Alex wrote: I don't really know what Ferritin is. I suppose the Betaferon will change the values of many chemicals in your body. I'm on Avonex and i have a slightly lower white blood cell count. I don't know if your Ferritin levels are serious. have you asked your Neurologist? Is your liver actually inflamed? Are your liver enzymes otherwise normal?

Hi Alex

Many thanks for your reply and information from msjournal.

The doctor said it could be that my liver is inflamed. But I couldn't tell her that she shouldn't have given me iron infusion at that time in January and February last year before my frist relaps. I don' t believe that my ferritin levels still can be high from a year ago. Who knows?

I will ask my other doctor from the Paracelsus Clinic about my liver enzymes.

And soon I'll see the Neurologist by the end of March. I am curious what he will tell me, as he find this OMS programm or other alternative Medicine are not the cure or so. I made the decision to see him only for the technical reason, even last time he said he would like to have information about my blood reports and the ongoing therapy with the Paracelsus Clinic. So what did had changed his mind?

With the changing of this lifestyle since May 2011 I feel quite good and strong. The symptom only appears when I need more oxidation like bike riding, running, etc.and/or the light is bad.

Thanks again!

Andrea
4 posts Page 1 of 1