14 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello, I'm 21 and by now it has been 1 year since I was discovered with MS. I was in hospital, first they gave me corticosteroid infusions and let me home, from this time my life changed extremly! Since then I was completly different person, and after some months I began beta interferon therapy. That made my situation even worse- depression, bad thoughts, worries about future etc. NOBODY tried to help me, doctors said it's normal to have depressions and just gave me some antidepressants, I also visited psychiatrist and he did the same. But I decided to stop this. I stoped with betaferons and I didn't even take their medicines (nor antidepressants). At that time I had no idea what to do, I didn't know OMS book, so I tried homeopathy... Now i'm really happy, I feel much better than before, physically and mentally. As you probably guess, doctors say I'm not normal and I'm hazarding with my health. Some weeks ago my father gave me OMS book and I really want to try diet, but now my MRI results came out wrong, few more lesions, and doctors push me to take another infusions in hospital, but I don't like it. Till now I was feeling great, but all they do is making me stressed. I decided for alternative therapy (homeopathy and diet) but in the same time I'm realizing that this therapy may not be right in future and I worry. What will I do when I refuse treatment now and than I will need it sometimes. What do you think, can doctors reject treat me, if suddenly something went wrong, or can my insurance company reject provision of another treatment? Should I lie to them, that I'm taking their medicine, but actually not doing that? Thank you so much!!! I really don't know what I should do :(
Hi Nikola

There are other drug treatments that doesnt have the same sideeffects as the interferons. You might want to discuss with your doctors, and insurance company, if Copaxone, or one of the new tablet treatments, is an option for you ass drugtreatment can be very important in the beginning if the illness is rather active.
It is also of great importance to get your level of vitamin D up to level as soon as possible.
Then you should really start the OMS lifestyle. Read the book and use this webpage and forum and you are most likely to do very well.
Hi Nikola,

I echo the advice given by West.

Read up on the drug treatments section of this OMS website and thereby be informed about the benefits and side effects of current available treatments.

I agree with west that Copaxone is the safest drug with the least side effects. I recently began to take it myself. I'm not fond of injecting every day, but as Prof Jelinek says, we should do WHATEVER IT TAKES to stay well and begin to recover. Drugs are part of the OMS program.

Diet, sunlight, vitamin D, exercise, meditation are all very important parts of the OMS lifestyle. Here is a link to a summary of the program; http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Code=11098

As west said in his/her reply, pay attention to your vitamin D level immediately. If a blood test has shown it to be below the OMS recommended level, then take a megadose and begin regular supplementation.

Come to this forum with any questions and whenever you need support.

Your doctors may not agree that OMS is effective. That does not matter. You will do the OMS lifestyle anyway, and can tell your doctors that it causes no harm. Accept that you may need medical treatment during the first 3-5 years of the OMS program. It is not a quick fix - it takes 3-5 years to achieve stability of your MS on this program. Do Whatever It Takes. All of it.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Thank you so much, you were right with vitamin D level, it was very low and other vitamin levels as well. Now I take 2000UI of D3 a day, but still not sure if it's enough, maybe I will gradually increase the dose. My doctor is already nervous of me, he says it's not good to take that big dose of D3, I just let him thinking it and don't say nothing.
Thank you again!!
Hi Nikola, what is your vitD level?

Nikola Iglarova wrote: Thank you so much, you were right with vitamin D level, it was very low and other vitamin levels as well. Now I take 2000UI of D3 a day, but still not sure if it's enough, maybe I will gradually increase the dose. My doctor is already nervous of me, he says it's not good to take that big dose of D3, I just let him thinking it and don't say nothing.
Thank you again!!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
2000 a day sounds to little too, have a read of the vit d FAQ on this site :-)
You're right, it's not enough. My D3 level was just 28,3 ng/ml, so my doctor told me 2000 a day will be fine, but maybe redouble the value of it will be better.
I think you should maybe consider a one-off megadose of vitamin D - lots of info in the vit D sections of this website
That is about the level I was at when I asked this question and received this answer from George.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... rces/FAQs/

I said
"My vitamin D3 level is at 70nmol/L which concerns me considering I have been supplementing at 5000IU/day for 2 months and before that getting recommended 'sun' for a month. Am I missing something? It seems that the supplementation is actually not working."
"Everyone needs a one-off megadose to get vitamin D levels up immediately if levels are initially low as they usually are. It takes ages for the hormone to accumulate in fat stores (it is fat soluble), so supplementing takes many many months to raise levels. At a level of 70nmol/L you remain at risk of relapse. I would take a one-off supplement of 150,000IU (30 capsules of the 5,000IU) immediately. That will get your level to around 150 or so overnight. Then 5,000IU a day should keep it there, although many people need more than that. Many people take 10,000IU a day to keep the level there. Get it checked again in six months."

In reality I went on to need x 2 megadoses of 150,000 IU, one a week I think and then 10,000IU per day and about a month later I needed an extra dose of 40,000IU for 2 weeks to get the level right up to around 200nmol/L or 80 in your measurement.

So you can see you have some urgent work to do on your levels to prevent relapses. Your doc is unlikely going to agree with this and/or prescribe it if they think that what they have given you is adequate. I get mine from http://www.iherb.com and buy the Origins 10,000IU capsules. Incidentally I have 2 docs and neither of them have an issue with my levels.

Hope that helps
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
When I did a megadose, I found 50,000iu capsules on Amazon - about £10 or £15 for a little bottle, and it was much more convenient taking 3 of those than dozens of lower-dose capsules
14 posts Page 1 of 2