6 posts Page 1 of 1
I was diagnosed with MS in October '17. I requested to see my neurologist in March as I read somewhere that in the UK it is recommended modifying drugs are taken soon after diagnoses. So, I was given a choice between either aubagio tablets or plegridy injections, but as it stands, I still haven't made a decision as I don't even know if I want to have treatment.

I've been following the OMS programme religiously since about January, and even though I haven't noticed any improvement in my residual symptoms, I haven't had an signs of relapse either. However, I'm worried about symptomless damage that might be ongoing, and I'm also concerned about what drug to go for if I choose to go ahead, and if it will do more harm than good. I am swinging more towards the injections as don't like the sound of the possible side effects with the other one such as hair loss.

Any words of experience would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.
You were diagnosed almost exactly the same time as my wife. She started Tecfidera in December and while it was a little rough starting it is something she barely notices now. to the point where she has to carefully track if she took the pill because she cant tell otherwise.

Here is a video I watched recently and thought it did a good job summarizing the various options. Its quite long but I think its worth the investment to watch through. I think its a good overview of most medications in there as well. Most of the other advice is very compatible with OMS which we follow very closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su8CXsxFmL8

From everything I have read so far I think Aubagio is probably not the choice I would start with, but I thats my personal opinion. A great blog to read daily is: http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/?m=1 (fyi Professor Giovannoni is the first quote on the back of the oms book)
Thank you so much for the links above, it's given me a starting point and will be more unbiased than the standard literature available iin the uk for ms drugs. I am quite sceptical about what the big drug companies promote, and can be somewhat of an ostrich too. That's why I'm dragging my feet, no pun intended.
Hi there - starting on a medication (and which one) or not is a personal decision that only you can make. That said, you not feeling any symptoms now definitely doesn't mean you won't relapse again (hence Relapsing-Remitting).

Personally, I felt it would be silly if I didn't try something available to me in order to fight MS. Again, personal decision.

If you decide for a DMD, a different discussion of "which one" arises. Your lifestyle and ability to adhere to the treatment along with the "risk" level you are willing to take will play an important role here. I wouldn't read too much into the side effects since not everyone suffers side effects. Once you start on a DMD if any of them are unbearable you can always consult with your neuro and switch if necessary for you to adhere to them.

I wouldn't concern myself about "pharma conspiracy" as I am sure all of them would love for your MS to subside under their treatment so you can stay on it for a long long time :) That said, all of them are obligated under the law to mention possible risks and side effects and your neuro should be a great source of information. If not, there's tons of material online.

Good luck!
MS = April 2017
OMS = April 2017
Drug free I wouldn't risk it. As for the rest, it is up to the doctor to suggest and discuss with the patient. In my case the first doc, a university hospital professor made it clear that there are lines of treatment, first, second etc. First line was dealt with with interferons, second with copaxone and off you go. Certain countries adopt this policy. The tragic behind it is that before a patient is prescribed a so called second line medication he\she has go go through a committee, something that takes time and more time. So by the time they become eligible for Tysabri they are already wheel chair bound....
Other docs adopt a more aggressive policy and they jump to Tysabri from the beginning. I was lucky to live in a country where the decision is taken at hospital level without much hassle. And after two relapses and a failed attempt with interferons they were quick to introduce Tysabri before things get worse.
Plegridy is a first line treatment, something to start with.... Aubagio? A weird choice to be presented as an alternative. Seek for a second opinion is my suggestion.
I'm on Plegridy now. The side effects for me or pretty serious and definitely interested in exploring other options. Hoping the period the side effects last after injections will shorten. I feel like my walking has gone backwards. If anyone has any experience with Plegridy or managing it's side effects please share. If you were on it and decided to move on please share how you knew it was for you to move on.
6 posts Page 1 of 1