19 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello

Hoping someone can help me. I'm a bit confused about nuts and nut oils.

Firstly, I didn't realise I couldn't eat peanut butter as the only ones I have seen have roasted nuts in them. I've yet to find one that's made from raw nuts....I'm in the uk if anyone here has.

Secondly, this made me think about anything I cook or bake with nuts. Does this mean I can't put nuts in cookies or flapjacks or anything that's going to be cooked or baked?

And lastly, I haven't seen any sesame oil that's not toasted and I sometimes drizzle it on noodles after cooking as it's really yummy and I believe quite good for us. But prob not if it's toasted...

Any thoughts/knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lynne x
It pays to go and look at the Recipe Resource for guidance and perspective. These recipes are all approved by George Jelinek. For example ground almonds and walnuts are ingredients in some of the recipes.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Breakfast/
Of course the normal guidelines apply; nuts and seeds should be eaten in moderation.

George does mention Sesame Oil as OK to drizzle on food, but not to cook with it. He does not specify unroasted sesame oil.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... -and-Oils/

Re Peanut Butter - whether raw or roasted - don't eat too much. Moderation again.
Re: can we eat peanut butter?
by korimako » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:39 am

I found this from George in one of the replies to comments on one of his blogs, I searched the site (top right) for peanut butter:

Ari asked: One final question is the saturated fat in things like tahini and peanut butter to be excluded from advocates of your diet?

13/10/2010 at 7:34 pm
Hi Ari

Tahini is fine, but peanut butter usually has altered artificial oils added to it. If you can find one that is just crushed peanuts, then it is not too bad, but almond paste has less saturated fat.

Be well

George

I'm the same as Alex, I do have it occasionally but it's a brand that I know for sure only contains peanuts and a little salt because Pic who makes it is a friend of mine! Try emailing the manufacturer to ask questions before purchasing.
Korimako
I've never come across raw peanut butter in the UK but I have seen raw almond butter. The one I saw contained sunflower oil, however. I'm going to have a try at making my own almond butter at home in the food processor. If it needs oil, I thought I would add a little of flax oil. I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks Vanderstel. Yes please let me know how it goes x
Ps meridian do oil free nut butters but the peanuts are roasted so I've stopped buying it. Also to be honest I was eating it a bit too often (every day) and it's meant to be in moderation so prob not a bad thing!!

Still would like to know how it goes though as I will make it in small batches and occasionally if necessary...

X
Biona do a none roasted blond almond nut butter with no oil added
I made my own almond butter this morning! Lynnejgray, it was very easy. I heated the almonds in the oven (just lay them on a baking sheet and put them in on about 170 for 5-6 minutes) then put them straight into the food processor and switched it on. I stopped it a few times to scrape down the sides and kept it going. Within 10-12 minutes it had turned into butter. I have a real sense of achievement!!! So pleased with myself.

Warning: stay away from the cutlery drawer when it's finished. You may find yourself reaching for a teaspoon to dip in...and then you'll never stop!!
Thanks Vanderstel. What a coincidence. I've just bought some almonds to do the same this afternoon!! do you heat them to make them turn into butter more easily?
Cheers
Lynne x
Yes, I read that it makes it easier. Apparently, you can also put them in the oven on very low for a couple of hours if you don't want to heat them so high. Good luck with yours!
Wendy:M wrote: Ari asked: One final question is the saturated fat in things like tahini and peanut butter to be excluded from advocates of your diet?

13/10/2010 at 7:34 pm
Hi Ari

Tahini is fine, but peanut butter usually has altered artificial oils added to it. If you can find one that is just crushed peanuts, then it is not too bad, but almond paste has less saturated fat.

Be well

George
[/i]

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I am even more confused than I already was. How come Tahini is okay? Even though it has relatively low saturated fat, it has plenty of other fats in them. Which, I was told in a different topic, is to be avoided.
19 posts Page 1 of 2