19 posts Page 2 of 2
Perhaps tahini is often just that sesame seeds. Peanut butter is often well not just peanuts. Read the label on the jar make a decision the contents on the jar you are considering.
veg wrote: Perhaps tahini is often just that sesame seeds. Peanut butter is often well not just peanuts. Read the label on the jar make a decision the contents on the jar you are considering.

Hi veg :) If I remember correctly you are Dutch as well, right?

I looked up some tahini from the local market, and found these:
Tahini #1 and tahini #2.

Going by that, you are correct about them being just sesame seeds. But it still leaves me puzzled as to why it's allowed when it has such a huge amount of fat. As we are to avoid fat.
We need to avoid saturated fat. I've had another look at the book and can't see where it says we should reduce unsaturated fat - there's even some entries that say it's good for us.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
I'm not Dutch. If for you the sat fat is too high in that teaspoon of tahini then don't have any :-) or have some occasionally but don't make the recipe that uses loads.
This is a topic that I have also spent time worrying about so I really appreciate the advice added to this thread. I personally add a desert spoonful of tahini to one can of chickpeas when I'm making hummus and have this once a week (half with a jacket potato for dinner/half with organic sour dough bread for lunch).

On the vexed question of nut butters, I discovered a fab tasting walnut butter made in Cornwall by 'Carley's'; Raw Walnut Butter, RRP £3.95 - 170g, Cool milled below 44°C from unroasted Moldovan Walnuts, no added oil, no added salt.

The website is http://www.carleys.co.uk/index.php/prod ... ut-butters .

I live in SW London and have found the full range of products in several local health food shops.
Diggity wrote: We need to avoid saturated fat. I've had another look at the book and can't see where it says we should reduce unsaturated fat - there's even some entries that say it's good for us.

Here's what George said about unsatured fats: roughly 60-80g of unsaturated fat per day should be the upper limit. He does add that most people won't reach that much fat, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a limit to unsatured fats we should be adhering.
I make a batch of Hummus, 500 gm of dry beans makes about 1.5 kg of Hummus, it has about 45 - 60 gms of tahini, or about 1/33 by weight.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Farrier wrote: I make a batch of Hummus, 500 gm of dry beans makes about 1.5 kg of Hummus, it has about 45 - 60 gms of tahini, or about 1/33 by weight.

That sounds very good actually. I thought that because tahini consists of 55% fat (accordng to Google), it would become very high in fat. Going by this recipe the amount of tahini (and therefore fat) used is 3-4x higher than what you are using.

Do you perhaps have a recipe you're following? I'm no culinary genius, so everything I make is with step-by-step recipes.
ConfusedMS wrote:
Diggity wrote: We need to avoid saturated fat. I've had another look at the book and can't see where it says we should reduce unsaturated fat - there's even some entries that say it's good for us.

Here's what George said about unsatured fats: roughly 60-80g of unsaturated fat per day should be the upper limit. He does add that most people won't reach that much fat, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a limit to unsatured fats we should be adhering.

In that post he says that saturated fat should be replaced by unsaturated fat and it would be physically difficult to exceed the recommended amount. The recommendation now is to avoid counting fat in everything, just stick to vegan plus seafood, minus processed food and high saturated fat foods like coconut and chocolate.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
19 posts Page 2 of 2