12 posts Page 1 of 2
I really struggle to eat first thing in the morning to counter this, last thing at night I make up a fruit and veg smoothie, and it lasts for 2 days at about 1 liter a day.

3 bananas
3 clementines
4 apples
4 carrots
2 big handfuls spinach
2 big handfuls of kale
2 cups cranberry / blueberry juice
2 Tbs chia seed
2 Tbs flax seed
1 cup OJ

I blitzed the cranberry's and blueberries and separated the juice into 2 cup portions and froze them, one bag of fresh cranberry's and a bag of frozen blueberries, (this was enough at 2 cups per 2 days for 2 full weeks), I also juiced the kale the first time, (never again, it just goes in the bottom of the blender now), one of the apples goes straight in the blender, and 3 and the carrots go through the juicer first about 2 cups of juice.

So I can take a package of frozen berry juice, (small sandwich bag size), break it into 4, put the kale and spinach, (2 big handfuls of each), in the blender, add the berry juice, and the peeled clementines and peeled bananas, add the chia and flax seeds, quarter and core the apples and peel the carrots, add 1 apple to the blender, and juice the other 3 with the carrots, add the apple and carrot juice to the blender, and blitz a few times to get things combined, I then add in the cup of OJ to bring the volume right up to the "full" mark, then I switch the blender to blend,(not blitz), and work from the slowest speed to full speed over the course of a couple of minutes.

So instead of starting the day with just a cup of coffee, (I know I should cut it out totally, but I'm down to one cup from a whole pot, so I'm working on it), I take a liter bottle of the fruit and veg, it's a 10 - 15 minute job to drink it down, as I like to leave it with some texture rather than totally smooth. It occupies the time it takes to run through my emails when I get to work, and the juice smoothie keeps me full and full of energy until a late lunch.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Have a look at a NutriBullet or NutriNinja. They're high powered blenders that blend everything in the cup, so the washing up is easy and will blitz nuts, seeds, anything. They seem expensive, but I wouldn't be without mine.

You can put pretty much any fruit or veg in, As well as your ingredients, you can add oats to make it more of a meal.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Thanks, I'm using a Ninja Ultima and it will blitz everything, but I find the juicer useful to reduce some of the fiber bulk of the apples and carrots.

Because I drink the second liter on the second day, I've been finding the juice begins to set in the fridge, I haven't bothered to check which of the fruits have natural pectin in them, (if pectin is the culprit for the setting, I suspect it's a product in the cranberries and blueberries), but the thicker the juice is to start with, the more set it appears to be on day two, and as I'm struggling at the moment with grip and balance problems, shaking them back up to a smoothie, not a thickie, stretches me past my limits in the morning. Perhaps I should embrace the extra exercise as being an additional product of smoothie, and combine the workout that currently wears me a little thin in the mornings.

I've blitzed the apples and carrots in the blender a couple of times, along with the other ingredients, and found that instead of the 10 - 15 minutes that the smoothie takes, I was taking between 45 minutes to an hour to consume it, and almost felt drained rather than energized by the experience.

I don't know where I would be without the blender, not cheap by any means, but as you say, powerful enough to blend seeds, nuts, veg, even fruit storks. I would like a second blender jug and blades, to use on the same base, and I was looking at them as replacement parts only yesterday... so far though it appears to be a better deal to buy the whole machine, than buy the separate parts.
Be well, live long and prosper!
G'day Farrier
I reckon you'll find that chia is thickening your smoothie. With liquid added, it forms a gel, and can be used to make simple puddings that set, and is also used as an egg replacer in recipes. Removing it would be the first thing I'd do if I wanted a thinner, runny smoothie.

If you want the chia and not the thickening effect, just put it in when you shake it up immediately before you drink it.

Keep up the good work!

Ruth
A NutriBullet is on my wish list...
I've read my friends manual and I'm sure you guys are being careful but just incase, I saw Apple seeds and some other seeds are a no no and can make you ill.

Hoping Santa is kind this year...
X
I use a Thermomix for my morning smoothie :) I know not everyone will be lucky enough to have one of these (they are expensive) A nutri-bullet should do just as good a job.

My recipe (from the built in cookbook) is:
1 lebanese cucumber (~150g)
60g spinach leaves
3 sprigs flat leaf parsley (leaf only)
3 sprigs mint (leaf only)
1 lemon (peeled and seeds removed)
1cm ginger
1 orange (peeled and seeds removed)
1 apply (quartered and core removed)
100g ice cubes
120g water

It is fairly thick and probably not as sweet as yours with juice etc.. but it makes enough for the wife and I and we both love it!
Blueberry wrote: A NutriBullet is on my wish list...
I've read my friends manual and I'm sure you guys are being careful but just incase, I saw Apple seeds and some other seeds are a no no and can make you ill.

Hoping Santa is kind this year...
X

That's a good point. Apples need to be cored and I don't think citrus fruits would be a good idea with skins and seeds. :shock:

Have a look around at different models. Nutri Ninjas are good as well as Bullets, but avoid the cheap copies.
OMS since 17/08/2015
I use the Nutribullet and love it. I haven't put carrot in yet though- how finely do you need to chop it before putting in the Nutribullet?
Mine's a Nutri Ninja and I don't really chop carrots, just snap them to fit in.
OMS since 17/08/2015
I can't recommend enough how amazing a thermomix is for smoothies, dairy free icecream, almond milk etc.

MattyP which smoothie recipe is that one on the chip?

Ta
12 posts Page 1 of 2