Almond meal 200gms
Castor sugar 1 cup
Plain flour ¼ cup
Egg whites 2
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Orange rind, finely grated 1 tablespoon
Almond flakes ¼ cup

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Place almond meal, sugar, flour, egg whites, vanilla essence and orange rind in bowl and mix until well combined
3. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on baking trays lined with baking paper
4. Flatten slightly
5. Top with almond flakes
6. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

Makes about 24

This one can be gluten-free too - just use 240g almond meal and no plain flour. And I only use about 3/4 cup sugar - to my taste they're sweet enough.
It's from http://moonroom-goodforyou.blogspot.com/ and there are heaps of good recipes there. I think it's been mentioned on this forum once before.
Wow that sounds lovely!
Yep, they're a winner. I should have said, they don't last - they go a bit hard and chewy on the 2nd day - but that's rarely a problem... they usually get snaffled up very quickly.

And try to use an organic or chemical-free orange for the zest, if possible, or scrub it really hard before you grate it.
Mmmm - these sound perfect. I now have everything to make them and they're on deck for tomorrow. I'm so happy. I'm not a sweets crazy gal normally (salt's my thing) but by gum, it'll feel downright normal to have a treat with my coffee! (And if they pass muster with non-OMS company, all the better).

Thanks!
Oops! I just re-read my original post and in the note below I meant to say I only use 3/4 cup sugar, not flour! I've fixed it now.
Ha ha - I figured as much!
*sigh* I just wanted to update that these cookies are absolutely YUMMY and I inhaled my last three today. I made them very very tiny thinking I'd only sample them ha! I froze them but found myself sneaking a few and practically gnawing on them frozen LOL!

I can hardly wait to make them again, but I think I'm going to wait until my company arrives in a bit and make them "normal" size to serve to everyone... except for the freezer bag full that will be just mine once they leave :-)
I warned you.... :D
Ha Ha Ha LOL! Very cute - thanks for the chuckle - I needed that so much today. And thanks again for a fantastic recipe :)
Hi I went to make these today, except I didn't have enough almond meal, but had some hazelnut meal. I left out the orange rind.
They are still absolutely fantastic!! And I can make them gluten free with the small amount of flour substituted for the gluten free flour.

Now to work out how to ration them so they can last!

Just a question, does anyone think about the saturated fat in the almond meal?

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
17 posts Page 1 of 2