17 posts Page 2 of 2
JaniceB wrote: ...Just a question, does anyone think about the saturated fat in the almond meal?

Janice

That's a very good point. I bought my almond meal/flour in bulk, but Bob's Red Mill lists their almond meal as having 1 g. of saturated fat per 1/4 C. I've made these cookies for a second time now (just yesterday, in fact). During the first batch, I just skipped the serving of almonds I eat during the day I snuck one of my not-so-secret stash of cookies!

:-)
Janice, I try hard not to think about the satfat in the almond meal and usually succeed ;)
And you can just add an extra 40g nut meal instead of the flour, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Glad you enjoyed them. Jen
Yep, almond meal appears to be 4% saturated fat. Hmm. So there's 8 grams in this whole recipe. When I make them I usually get 24, so that's 0.3g/biscuit. If possible, and I know it's hard, ration yourself to 3 a day, and that's a gram of sat fat.

I often just make half the recipe - mix the dry ingredients, weigh out half and put in a box in the fridge (or freezer) to use later (saves time on the second batch). Make 12 biscuits, then 2 people can have 3 each for two days... :D
Made these today, tastey but very sweet so will play with the sugar amount next time.

100 grams of blanched almonds the fat is (used nutrional data.com):
Total Fat 50.6g
Saturated Fat 3.9g
Monounsaturated Fat 32.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12.1g
Total Omega-6 fatty acids
12053mg
Yes, like I said, I only use 3/4 cup sugar and they are still very sweet. It's an American recipe and I usually find you can safely halve the sugar in American recipes.
I seriously reduce the sugar when I make these as well, but I am truly addicted to them :-)
:Only had enough almond grounds for half - good thing cos they're so yummy and I'd have too many 'oh, just one more....'!
17 posts Page 2 of 2