15 posts Page 1 of 2
400 g black beans, drained and rinsed (2 cups cooked)
2 ripeish bananas
1/3 C maple syrup or slightly less honey
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C raw sugar
1/4 C instant oats 

Dense, fudgy and ultra-healthy, these brownies are a great alternative to traditional brownies! They taste like chocolate fudge, not beans! 

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 20 centimetre-squared pan with baking paper and set aside.

Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

Notes:
• If you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgy, add another quarter of a cup of oats or flour.
• Rolled oats run through the food processor may be substituted for the instant oats.
• Use extra sugar if your bananas are still green and not very ripe.

Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Definitely going to try this, Wendy! Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Sue
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Nice brownie variation as beans would give protein etc too.

An idea - you could avoid baking at all if u pre-cooked oats (altho that introduces water) or used cooked grains (eg puffed cereal); and substitute fresh bananas with dried ones (the soft dark brown ones, not the crockery chips) or dried dates. I would also sub cocoa with carob (zero fat),

Just thought of this as I made raw brownies last week (in food processor grind 180g 1cup almonds then add 1cup dried dates or apricots & bananas, 1/4 cup carob, salt, drizzle of EVOO optional, I added som orangeflower water for fun, vanilla essence, careful amount of blackstrap molasses -don't overdo molasses, or use maple syrup instead, then extra 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds blitzed in at end to add rough bits for interest. Then press well into papered tin, freeze/fridge then slice). Utterly delicious & easy, freezes well, BUT too much sat fat. Maybe a nice Easter treat as u could roll it into egg shapes.

I might sub your beans for nuts nexttime! Thnx for inspiration! :)

Btw I 'invented' a parsnip mash last night. I water fried garlic & Ginger with sherry vinegar, then blitzed it with steamed parsnips & freshly brewed bancha tea. It was delicious. No oil.
Great stuff.

This recipe sounds bloody delicious!
Blessings
Alex

Developed 5 May 2011, Diagnosed 4 Aug 2011, OMS 15 Sept 2011, Gluten-Free 22 February 2012, Recovery declaration 2 September 2014
Tingletingle wrote: Great stuff.

This recipe sounds bloody delicious!

I agree!!! Must buy ingredients in 2 weeks when we next do our store cupboard shop!!
just made these, they're great!!! thanks for the recipe!!
as I'm pretty inexperienced in baking and cooking...started only since my MS. so this did not become a brownie- more a chocolate/banana cream (I used too many beans I think). however it's delicious.

great way to get some extra protein :lol:

Thank you Wendy!!!
DX March 2011, OMS October 2011
Member of the Weebly Wobbly Club (class of '13)
Chocolate banana cream with fresh strawberries - yum. No one will ever know it wasn't meant to be brownies!
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
god you are fast!!! :lol:

this is an AMAZING recipe and was so much fun to make. thank you for sharing. did you come up with that?
it's one (of more) good things about my MS. did not cook or bake before. now i embrace the healthy food :)
DX March 2011, OMS October 2011
Member of the Weebly Wobbly Club (class of '13)
Aw Wendy - loving this recipe.
I've been really struggling to stick 100% to the diet since I fell pregnant again but this little ripper will definitely help.
Mum is around this afternoon for a big cook up with me so will definitely try it out :D
Oh and complete sidepoint... congrats on the new moderator status :P :P
15 posts Page 1 of 2