9 posts Page 1 of 1
I am hoping someone can help me convert this recipe to make it OMS friendly. So I need to substitute the milk with either soy, rice or almond milk - not sure what would be the best. Plus I need to use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) instead of butter - but not sure of the quantity of EVOO I need to replace the butter. Also I am presuming these slight alterations won't ruin the cake and would therefore appreciate any comments and/or suggestions

Many thanks
Christine

Armenian Nutmeg Cake
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 cups self raising flour
125g butter
1 tsp bi-carb Soda
1 cup milk
1 egg (beaten moderately well)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup walnuts (chopped)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180° C. Combine sugar and flour in a medium-sized bowl. Rub the butter into the flour and sugar mix between your thumb and forefingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Press half of this mixture into a square tin (if you do not have a square tin, a small rectangular one will do fine).

Dissolve the bi-carb in with the milk, egg and nutmeg. Pour over the remaining flour, sugar and butter mixture and stir until a ‘cake consistency’ batter forms. Pour or spoon over the base of the tin. Sprinkle the walnuts on top.

Bake for one hour or until the skewer comes out clean. Enjoy!
Hi Christine,
I have found soy milk to be the best when cooking cakes.
As far as the oil goes it is usually trial and error for the first few cakes,
I would start with a 1/4 of a cup. I change quite a few cake recipes and they usually
turn out well. Good Luck
Many thanks Maree for your prompt reply - I am going to make it on the weekend - planning to take it to an afternoon tea I have been invited to. I will let you know how I go!!! I might also make sure I have a back-up just in case!!

All the best
Christine
I always start with a 75% ratio of oil vs. butter. In your recipe, I would try using 90 gr. of olive oil to replace your 125 gr. of butter. I also like to add a little something to help with binding...specifically I add about 1 tsp. of arrowroot to the mixture. Good luck...your cake sounds delicious and I think I might give it a try...

Jack
Diagnosis: Jul 2009
OMS: Jan 2010
I replace each whole egg with two egg whites with good results..
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I do the same:

Replace Oil with Butter. The 75% ration sounds correct as butter is 80% fat, but I usually just do it 1:1
Soymilk for milk
2 eggwhites for one egg

i've never tried it, but some recipies call for apple sauce as a substitute for oil. It may give body.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Hi Christine

I use less oil than the others. And wholemeal flour. So my recipe would be:

Armenian Nutmeg Cake
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 cups self raising wholemeal flour
50mls EVOO
1 tsp bi-carb Soda
1 cup soy milk
2 egg whites
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup walnuts (chopped)

As Alex says, about 25mls of apple sauce helps to keep it moist.

Good luck and be well

George
A big thank you to you all!!! :D The cake was a great success - every last crumb eaten!! It was delicious!

I followed George's amended recipe and included the apple sauce. I ended up using more oil though - about 1/4 cup as suggested by Maree.

I am certainly not a very cook, so was quite surprised how good and easy this was. I will be making it again.

Thank you again everyone for your contributions.

All the best
Christine
Thanks Christine, and everyone else, for this wonderful recipe... I made it yesterday, and it was so easy to make! It turned out perfectly, and it tastes so excellent... I managed not to eat all the batter before putting it in the tin - I used a 21cm springform - and the cooked cake is irresistible too. I used 1 cup walnuts - half in the batter and half sprinkled on top. I am looking forward to making it with my 4 year-old granddaughter...

Ruth :)
9 posts Page 1 of 1